• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

I still think our best bet is to make him a forward.

Package a forward and whatever For a good D man and move Smith upfront ah la Brett Burns.

A couple years down the road you've got Smith Andy Mantha or Smith Helm Mantha

He's got the tools and the skills and enough speed, he's just mis- cast as a defenseman.

That may actually work.  I'd take him on forward if he played the position even like his brother, who is a pain in the ass bottom 6 guy to play against.  He has the speed for sure.  Maybe he'd enjoy just forechecking the hell out of guys.  A line of Smith-Helm-Tootoo would be interesting.  Hey guys, lets go out there, skate really fast, get 10 hits a shift and then Smitty and Toots can fight guys!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#22 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm not giving up on him.  Apparently some of you forgot what Ericsson was like his first few years. 

Difference to me is that E had a great stretch when he first came up, then took a step back but atleast we knew he had it in him. Also I don't think he was ever quite as bad as Smith is defensively. Imagine how bad Smith would look if we still had Lids, Raffi and Stuart? E was the weakest link of a stacked defense, Smith is by far the weakest link of a much less stacked D.

#23 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm rubbing my beard and going to say patience with Smith.

#24 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Difference to me is that E had a great stretch when he first came up, then took a step back but atleast we knew he had it in him. Also I don't think he was ever quite as bad as Smith is defensively. Imagine how bad Smith would look if we still had Lids, Raffi and Stuart? E was the weakest link of a stacked defense, Smith is by far the weakest link of a much less stacked D.

?

Smith's first 14 games in the NHL he scored 7 points and was a +3, which lead all our defense in scoring besides Kronwall.  He displayed incredible vision and patience with the puck, and when he pinched in, the results usually yielded excellent scoring opportunities, if not goals.

EDIT:  Just read Echolalia's post and realized I'm saying basically the same thing.  So what he said.  :D

Great minds think alike :)

Edited by Echolalia, 20 October 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#25 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I forgot Smith used to fight.  Keep him.

(Yes, I said patience in a previous post, but now I really, really, really mean it.)

#26 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

trade him. hes good at offense and sucks at defense.

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

What we really need is for Lids to sit him down and punch him in the face, repeatedly.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#28 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

trade him. hes good at offense and sucks at defense.

If only he was good at offense. He shows glimpses, but if he'd produce I'd forgive some defensive errors.

#29 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ericsson and Kindl were both like that.  We knew that they had potential, but it was hard to see beyond flashes here and there.

I'm not ready to punt on Smith yet.  I also don't want him playing big minutes yet.  Hopefully he'll have a good season in the not-too-distant future and come around.

As was Jiri Fischer.

#30 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

smith simply is not that intelligent

he makes stupid plays

he says stupid things

he even has a stupid look on his face

AAHos9P.jpg
"DERP"

it was unfortunate that they used that high pick on a dumb player

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey, 20 October 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#31 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Smith+Tatar+draft pick for Dan Girardi when the Rangers realize they're not gonna make the playoffs. Would anyone make that deal?

Kronwall-Girardi

Dekeyser-Ericsson

Quincey-Kindl

Lashoff

#32 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Brendan Smith might get better but I don't think that he is not replaceable. I say shop him and if good value can be had let him go. Lashoff>Smith

#33 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Quincey holds back Smith as far as development goes.

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Yes but wasn't Ericsson paired with Lidstrom a lot during that great stretch?

You could put me on the ice in my socks but if I'm paired with Lidstrom I'll probably end up looking ok.  Pair me with Quincey and it's a different story.

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:21 AM

smith simply is not that intelligent

he makes stupid plays

he says stupid things

he even has a stupid look on his face

AAHos9P.jpg
"DERP"

it was unfortunate that they used that high pick on a dumb player

:lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#36 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

Smith will be okay. If he had a better partner that would help. It baffles me that he doesn't get 2nd unit pp time. He's an offensive dman use him like one

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yes but wasn't Ericsson paired with Lidstrom a lot during that great stretch?

You could put me on the ice in my socks but if I'm paired with Lidstrom I'll probably end up looking ok.  Pair me with Quincey and it's a different story.

See: White, Ian.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Ericsson would have great stretches offset by worst-timed stupidity that cost the team games.

Thus far, Smith hasn't had great stretches. Ericsson worked out but there's nothing to make is expect Smith to work out. Smith lacks confidence and as a result is always jumpy. I don't remember a lack of confidence being a flaw of Ericsson's. He worked to fix things and they got fixed. Smith says he will work on things but he continues to look totally shaken at all times.

That being said, he should be given more time.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#39 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Interesting. Ouellet's been recalled.

http://kuklaskorner....to-grand-rapids

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#40 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

Ericsson and Kindl were both like that.  We knew that they had potential, but it was hard to see beyond flashes here and there.

I'm not ready to punt on Smith yet.  I also don't want him playing big minutes yet.  Hopefully he'll have a good season in the not-too-distant future and come around.

This is exactly right.  Smith is where Kindl was two years ago.  Then he has a game like tonight and you can see his potential.  I think a lot of it is mental: Focus and Confidence