• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

When it comes down to it, fast forward a couple years and so many people here will be pretty full from eating all that crow.

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Quincey holds back Smith as far as development goes.

Smith and Ouellet were awesome last night, so there is that to back up your statement.  I guess time will tell.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#43 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

I'm more upset that we wasted a first round pick on trading for Quincey. If you ask me he's the most expendable guy on D. Smith was awesome for the Badgers and hasn't even played a full 82 game season. I'd say for his experience he's doing okay. We've been pretty spoiled with our defensmen and I think our expectations for players right away are a little too high.

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

When it comes down to it, fast forward a couple years and so many people here will be pretty full from eating all that crow.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. 

Not that Smith won't be good, I think he will.  But some people here still have heaping leftovers of crow from Ericsson that they haven't touched. :P

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

In case some of you missed it, Kyle Quincey stepped up big time last night against a VERY good hockey team and played pretty damned well.  Probably the best d-man on the ice aside from Dekeyser.  I have no idea why people are saying he's the most expendable, or that he's holding back Smith's development.  The only thing holding Smith back is lack of experience and dim witted decision making, not Kyle Quincey, he's been very good this year.

Also, kudos to Jakub Kindl for his minutes last night.  While I noticed him turning the puck over A LOT, I had no idea the kind of minutes he logged for the first time in his NHL career.  Atta boy kid. 

Finally, Brendan Smith.  Good game.  Keep it up.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

Not that Smith won't be good, I think he will.  But some people here still have heaping leftovers of crow from Ericsson that they haven't touched. :P

Ya and I'm still picking up bits of my tv and remote from big rig lol

#47 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Learn to love it. Brendan Smith is a Red Wing. Lower the expectation to the point where you can just simply enjoy watching him play. He's good, and he's learning how to play the hard way. Which only will help him in the long run. If the general opinions of fans towards a player is negative, that leaks all the way down through the media, coaching staff, teammates, and even the player. Accept him for who he is, a Red Wing. If everyone loved Smith for just being being a Wing, that positive energy from the fans will leak all the way down to the player. Thus, having a positive impact on his play, leaving every one fully satisfied in the end. Go Wings. 

#48 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

I don't think it's necessarily that Quincey sucks or Smith sucks, more that they just don't mix as a pairing so it brings out the worst in them since neither is comfortable with the other. I couldn't tell you why that is, but it seems that way to me. Last night they were paired with different partners and both looked much better, imho.

Edited by TheXym, 22 October 2013 - 04:34 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#49 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Smith had a decent game last night. Quincey has had three good games in a row. The common denominator: they weren't paired. I hope that Babcock will take note.

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've little doubt that he's going to become a dominant defenseman in this league. My concern is the time it will take for him to get there relative to the time we have left with Z and D as true forces to be reckoned with. He is (or was) one of our more attractive assets outside the core group, and if he could be packaged away for, say, a defenseman who's already dominant, I might be very tempted to pull that trigger. That's my big thing in this discussion.

Making it a bit easier to pull that trigger would be the depth of our blue line prospects pool. Sproul, Ouellet, Almqvist, The Rise of DeKeyser....

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Learn to love it. Brendan Smith is a Red Wing. Lower the expectation to the point where you can just simply enjoy watching him play. He's good, and he's learning how to play the hard way. Which only will help him in the long run. If the general opinions of fans towards a player is negative, that leaks all the way down through the media, coaching staff, teammates, and even the player. Accept him for who he is, a Red Wing. If everyone loved Smith for just being being a Wing, that positive energy from the fans will leak all the way down to the player. Thus, having a positive impact on his play, leaving every one fully satisfied in the end. Go Wings. 

I couldn't have said it better :clap:

#52 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Smith had a decent game last night. Quincey has had three good games in a row. The common denominator: they weren't paired. I hope that Babcock will take note.

Well said Crym. I actually thought that both of them had really good games last night...... actually thought Smith may have had the best game he has played as a wing....if that crossbar was a quarter inche skinnier he would have potted the game winner.
Split them up- they don't compliment one another and let them play. They need confidence and they aren't getting it together.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#53 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Looks like smith will be paired with kronner tonight per khan. Should be a good opportunity for him

#54 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

I still haven't finished my bowl of crow from Kindl.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#55 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

He's an offence first defence-man who has always been erratic in his own end, who is being encouraged to play with the hand-break on to aid his long-term development and become more solid at the back end, while being paired with essentially a more solid, less skilled version of himself. His pinches are often unwise, and he passes up the middle too much for my liking, but I think if we can pair him with someone calmer and more defensively minded, we could see his development accelerate. 

Him and Quincey have too many of the same flaws to really work as a pairing, and although KC is the better defenceman as things stand, he's much closer to his ceiling. Smith at least has occasionally shown real high end potential. And for all his moments of monumental stupidity, he doesn't have quincey's flaw of never clearing the bloody zone on the PK. Neither of them are bad, but I'd keep them apart. Smith is the 6th best of the D who can sometimes play worse than Lashoff, because his game is much more about risk. Basic problem is the same as we knew it would be. We lost lids, Raf & Stuart in the blink of an eye, and White went backwards badly, leaving the wings having to replace 3 of their top 4 and 4 of their top 6 far too quickly, and in Quincey made the wrong choice about who best to bring in to supplement the existing core. I think Kindl's improvement actually complicated the issue, as in his own way he is not totally dissimilar to smith and Quincey. DD has started the process of giving our defence more balance, but we need another guy (and more experienced than lashoff) who is D first in exchange for Quincey at years end. Kronner, Kindl & Smith as the more offensive guys and Big E, DD and A N Other playing the safer role.

However, the fact that 6 of our front 12 are not currently justifying their salaries is a far more pressing issue to resolve, as it would be foolish not to give smith time.

#56 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Smith - DeKeyser?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#57 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think Smith gets blamed to much for the defense's shortcomings. Quincy deserves a lot of the blame as does Kronwall.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#58 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

I think Smith gets blamed to much for the defense's shortcomings. Quincy deserves a lot of the blame as does Kronwall.

It would be incorrect to attribute an entire team's defensive play (for good or ill) on one guy.  However, there doesn't seem to be any problem pointing out that Smith has been our worst defenseman so far this season.  Someone has to be.  Obviously he's not to blame for stinkers like the Ottawa game, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask "why is our worst defenseman playing top line minutes against Ottawa".  It's pretty much universally agreed that Smith has tremendous upside, and that he should be given an opportunity to work out the kinks in his game.  However, he shouldn't be allowed to do so at the expense of the team, or of other guys who have been playing better.  I think that is what many people feel, and I realize that could easily be misunderstood as "blaming Smith". 

Secondly, in spite of the fact that Kyle Quincey is an easy target to be a whipping boy around here, he's been incredibly solid so far this season and in no way deserves the kind of antipathy he receives on this forum. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#59 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Does Bobby Rouse have a kid?  That's who I'd like to see Smith paired with.  Give the kid some time and consistency.  He'll be fine.  Remember all the dumb stuff you did when you were 24?  Now imagine thousands watching you do it and picking you apart for it.  I can already smell the crow cooking.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#60 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Got to admit he looks good with Kronwall. When Ericsson comes back I wouldn't mind him and Kindl playing the second unit. Would help having an offense minded defensemen getting top minutes