• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#61 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Got to admit he looks good with Kronwall. When Ericsson comes back I wouldn't mind him and Kindl playing the second unit. Would help having an offense minded defensemen getting top minutes

Aren't Smith and Kindl both offensive minded defensemen?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#62 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Aren't Smith and Kindl both offensive minded defensemen?

Ya. He only shut down defense we have is Ericsson and dk

#63 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:22 AM

8 games and a -9. so basically every time e plays, the opposition scores.

Good times

Bring back No. 91

#64 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

8 games and a -9. so basically every time e plays, the opposition scores.

Good times

Sometimes more then once. But it's not his fault at all...

#65 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Sometimes more then once. But it's not his fault at all...

Watch the game he was a -2 in and got benched after and tell me which goals were his fault, watch the game against Carolina where he was a minus 1 where he made a PERFECT defensive play on the goal and Quincey effed up.

Hes not defensive stud by any means but a LARGE part of his plus minus is on Quincey and its not surprise to anyone that hes looked much better with Ouellet and now Kronwall as well

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#66 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Watch the game he was a -2 in and got benched after and tell me which goals were his fault, watch the game against Carolina where he was a minus 1 where he made a PERFECT defensive play on the goal and Quincey effed up.

Hes not defensive stud by any means but a LARGE part of his plus minus is on Quincey and its not surprise to anyone that hes looked much better with Ouellet and now Kronwall as well

Quincey was garbage last game too.  2 boneheaded penalties and gave up the breakaway in OT.  He's an asshat.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#67 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Quincey was garbage last game too.  2 boneheaded penalties and gave up the breakaway in OT.  He's an asshat.

Yeah and he almost got burned pinching earlier in OT that game where he just got s*** lucky, doesnt learn tries it again and theres the game winner with 13 seconds left.

I wont say Smith has been great but hes been completely fine since hes gotten away from Quincey and even with Quincey he wasnt as bad as some people were letting on. Kindl and Ericcson were crucified their first couple seasons, Smith has played 50 NHL games and has more talent than both, theres going to be some crow to eat in a year or 2. Smith is already playing tougher compeition than Kindl

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#68 lfd250

lfd250

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Problem is when the whole team is doing bad, smith looks REALLY bad.  At the last game I started counting the times smith and Q blew it.  It wasn't good.  Also, the fact we are getting out shot is something new and needs to be addressed.

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green

#69 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Heading into the year, I thought with some maturing our defense would be pretty deep and solid.  But there is far more wrong with our defense/team than just Smith given the number of shots the Wings are giving up each game.

#70 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

Heading into the year, I thought with some maturing our defense would be pretty deep and solid.  But there is far more wrong with our defense/team than just Smith given the number of shots the Wings are giving up each game.

I agree with you on this.

On Smith I wish that offensive side of him would break out sooner rather than later. Ne needs some confidence badly.

#71 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Ericsson and Kindl were both like that.  We knew that they had potential, but it was hard to see beyond flashes here and there.

I'm not ready to punt on Smith yet.  I also don't want him playing big minutes yet.  Hopefully he'll have a good season in the not-too-distant future and come around.

This
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#72 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Lol the last game the Wings won was the last game Smith played in.

#73 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

Yah but since then, Weiss has went down, Franzen has went down and now Alfie has not played the last two games... so the Wings have been missing lots of different pieces at different times. The problem is Babcock is not using Smith properly at all. Instead of playing stupid Kindl on the 2nd PP, play Smith and Danny D. Danny D is a WAY better passer then Kindl, and every time he shoots the puck, it goes on net or he purposely shoots wide, much like Lidstrom. Kindl always ALWAYS has his shot blocked and makes very stupid plays. Smith has always been our offensive dman prospect, but Babcock has not given him any time on the PP at all in favor of Kindl and Quincy and Sammy!

#74 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

Really? I thought a young player, who didn't have the luxury of learning from the perfect human and just takes a bit more time to find his game would be the worst DetroitRedWings defender ever?

I like the guy and still believe he is going to become a very serviceable top 4 defender.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#75 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Can you imagine how badly the team would have struggled overall to get out of the zone if Smith played with his ridiculous over-handling and indecisiveness?  At that point we should probably be thankful for the one point games. 

#76 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

Can you imagine how badly the team would have struggled overall to get out of the zone if Smith played with his ridiculous over-handling and indecisiveness?  At that point we should probably be thankful for the one point games. 

This indecisiveness is Babs' fault. When Smith wasn't chained to his blue line in GR he was a far more composed player.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#77 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Really? I thought a young player, who didn't have the luxury of learning from the perfect human and just takes a bit more time to find his game would be the worst DetroitRedWings defender ever?

I like the guy and still believe he is going to become a very serviceable top 4 defender.

K seriously dude what's the deal.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#78 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Not everyone can walk in and be a stand out like Dekeyser. I was one that regularly said the same thing about Ericsson that most are saying about Smith now. Ericsson took his time but is finding his ground and Smith will be the same. For now enjoy Dekeyser's success unti Smitty finds his ground.

Oh. What about that Kindl guy? 2 years ago I'd have said he was on his way out of town but he has actually finally proven some worth. Patience. It will be worth it.

#79 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

All I know is it better be Quincey's last season in Detroit

#80 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

For the record I'm among the group that believes Smith's long-term potential upside is massive, and it is worth keeping him around and putting him on the ice so he can develop into a solid defensman.  The first 14 games he had as a call up she showed incredible offensive instinct.  I still believe this kid can be the next gen Rafalski once he learns how to incorporate his type of game into Babcock's system.