• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:01 AM

I still can't decide if Smith fighting Neil was brave or stupid.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#122 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

I still can't decide if Smith fighting Neil was brave or stupid.

Brave. He got beat but he held his own, he did surprisingly better then I expected, he dis get like 4 or 5 good shots in, plus he didn't get knocked down

#123 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

Amazing play tonight from Smitty. He had some really nice D plays in addition to his offence. Broke up a 2 on 1 like a vet. He is only getting better. You can see other teams really don't like his snarl out there.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#124 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

I mentioned this in the GDT, but I'll repeat it here. Maybe he finally is no longer gunshy after his suspension for several preseason games for hitting a Blackhawk who put his head down late. He has been much better recently.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#125 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

Smitty is looking great!!!!  He's only going to get better.

#126 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

Props to the elder Smith.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#127 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm starting to get back on the smith bandwagon, he was really bugging me this season but he has really started turning things around since his injury. Just needed to give his head a shake and step back a bit I guess. Go smith!

#128 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

I was never worried. Always like Smith. All rookies have an iffy period in their transition to the big leagues, especially Dmen (see Kindl, Ericsson).

One of the true "gritty" guys on our roster as well.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#129 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

I was getting a little worried, mainly because Smith at times seemed to look a little worried and thats never good.  He was stellar last night though imo, hope he keeps building on that!

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#130 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

He's as confident as he's ever been out there, you can see it in his game.  Excellent for him and excellent for us

#131 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yeah he's been way better defensively. Hopefully that that trend continues especially when DD comes back. REALLY REALLY REALLY wish Smitty could get it going offensively. All in good time hopefully...

#132 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't know what's clicked in Smith's brain, but I'm glad about it.

There was a play in the 1st last night, he was skating back into the zone with puck, being pressured by an Islander, with another coming in to add to the pressure.  He was all alone with no-one to pass to.  Being Smith my heart was in my mouth.

So what does he do?  He skates behind his net, holding the forechecker behind him with one arm, controlling the puck with the other, then skates up and out of our zone, leaving the 2 forecheckers behind, and carried the puck all the way up the ice and into the Islander zone. :o

So glad he got 2 assists last night, just reward for his recent play.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#133 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

He made a similar play the game before where he shook off a forechecker. He's not nearly as uneasy as he used to be. He's making smart decisions with the puck, is jumping into the offensive play and really using his skating to create good plays.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#134 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Really elusive and when he's carrying the puck out of the zone he's flying. Good in the O zone too. He's just gotta try and shoot more. He seems to get hit pretty good every game though

He really looks like he has potential to be a top pairing offensive d man. Dekeseyer and Smith. Our top 4 could be deadly pretty soon. I think we have the ability to surprise a lot of people these playoffs. If everybody plays to their capability I don't see how we are not a contender

Edited by joesuffP, 30 November 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#135 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

That stretch pass up the middle to Alfie was gorgeous. That's the kind of thing we need more of from our D and maybe especially from Smith (whose big thing is puck movement, offensive instincts).

Don't Toews me, bro!

#136 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

idk whats up this guys butt but hes really turning it up. keep it up

#137 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

His bad tonight on that 2nd goal. Puck watching, regardless love him and other than that pretty solid game with another assist...

#138 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

I was not able to watch last Wednesday or Sunday's games.  However, I've been told that Smith played quite well in both.  I did see Friday's game and didn't think he looked bad.  I've always been quite vocal about how bad Smith was playing, and he was playing quite terribly at one point, but if he's turned the corner on that then he deserves to be recognized for that as well.  So "atta boy" Smith.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#139 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

They even spoke to him on NHL live last night and complinented him on stepping his game up and playing well. You know its not just us noticing his improvement when that happens.

#140 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Excellent game by Smith last night. His speed, strength, and offensive acumen were on clear display.