• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Wasn't chelios playing during that injured stretch? Could have sworn he was on the top pairing when everyone else went down with injuries

He was on the top pairing and broke his leg shortly after the initial puck drop.  Stafford was called up to fill in the next game, which was the one quoted above.  Brutal times, but we played through adversity.

#42 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

He was on the top pairing and broke his leg shortly after the initial puck drop.  Stafford was called up to fill in the next game, which was the one quoted above.  Brutal times, but we played through adversity.

People may not realize it, but this is good for the team in the long run. 

#43 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

People may not realize it, but this is good for the team in the long run. 

Having Lids, Raffi, Kronner, and Cheli out was what made the brass go, "Hmm.  Maybe we should look into getting another d-man.  How's about that Brad Stewart guy?"

And it worked.  In this case, however, I'd put money on it that KH has been trying to trade a couple of forwards for a d-man.

Too bad it's not like in the old days where they could include money.  Sammy plus $1m for a bag of pucks and a half a bag of Meow Mix.

#44 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Are they not allowed to include money in trades anymore? I didn't think that was true - I just thought it was because the salary cap meant teams didn't need the money.

#45 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Are they not allowed to include money in trades anymore? I didn't think that was true - I just thought it was because the salary cap meant teams didn't need the money.

They can retain up to 50% of the salary/caphit.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#46 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yep, the entire top 4 D was out injured, which was why Lilja-Lebda was the top pairing.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#47 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

I think one thing to consider with Smith is that he just doesn't sync well with Quincey. Having a different partner may provide a spark he needs to get out of his funk. I'm looking forward to seeing how Ouellet plays, and Danny DeKeyser in the number one spot could be foreshadowing greatness.

Up front, Tatar and Weiss could be huge. The pairing has some interesting potential.

Looking forward to the game. Let's Go Wings!
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#48 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hopefully Sproul gets a shot soon too - we have been lacking a big RH shot from the backend that can be an asset on the pp (without the defensive liability) for quite a while.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#49 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hopefully Sproul gets a shot soon too - we have been lacking a big RH shot from the backend that can be an asset on the pp (without the defensive liability) for quite a while.

I don't really understand why Ouellet has seen action in the preseason as well as tonight while Sproul and Almquist haven't.

Almquist has put his time in to at least warrant a look while Sproul is probably more of what we need in a defenceman.

Maybe they're showcasing him for a trade...I know, I know, probably not a popular idea.

For the record I like Ouellet but you've got to give up something to get something.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#50 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

Thinking about it, this is our worst D that we've iced since February 2008 when we were absolutely riddled with injuries.  From memory the pairings were

Lilja-Lebda

Quincey-Meech

Stafford-Ericsson

And that was Lilja before he became a cult hero, Lebda was Lebda, Quincey was so bad he got waived, Meech was Meech, Ericsson looked every bit the 7th round forward turned defenceman project that he was, and I can't even remember a thing about Stafford.

9th round 291st overall...

#51 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

I don't really understand why Ouellet has seen action in the preseason as well as tonight while Sproul and Almquist haven't.

Almquist has put his time in to at least warrant a look while Sproul is probably more of what we need in a defenceman.

Maybe they're showcasing him for a trade...I know, I know, probably not a popular idea.

For the record I like Ouellet but you've got to give up something to get something.

Almquist actually got a number of preseason games after he scored a couple of goals. I think he was one of the last players sent down.

But I agree with you, It's interesting that Sproul got the call over Almquist. Maybe they just wat to see what the've got.

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

Almquist is not good defensively, Ouellet is

#53 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ouellet was impressive tonight.  Very calm with the puck, and made some great stretch passes.  Came out of nowhere for me at the world juniors last year but have been excited about him since then.

#54 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

I liked what I saw. He looked confident. That one play where he bounced the puck up the boards while turning around and throwing Thornton to the ice was mega-impressive. 

#55 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

Played awesome. He would only improve with more time (which he won't see likely). Loved the reverse on Thornton. He outletted nicely from behind the net also which was a great surprise at this level. Played good and physical in the corners and didn't look too young out there. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#56 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Tonight went much better than expected on the back end!  All 6 played well.

#57 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Ouellet looked legit tonight, and perhaps he is part of the reason Smith looked so good tonight.

#58 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,913 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

He's going to be a good one. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#59 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

Ouellet appears to be the real deal. If all goes according to plan, he and Sproul should be an excellent 2nd pairing in a couple of years.

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - DeKeyser

Sproul - Ouellet

Smith/Lashoff

Looks good to me!

Edited because I forgot all about DD.

Edited by Crymson, 22 October 2013 - 12:56 AM.

#60 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

Ouellet appears to be the real deal. If all goes according to plan, he and Sproul should be an excellent 2nd pairing in a couple of years.

Kronwall - Ericsson

Sproul - Ouellet

Kindl - Smith

Looks good to me!

maybe have Kindl with Sproul... Ouellet and Smith looked good together tonight... but I have to ask... WHERE THE F is DD?