• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vladdy16

10/21 GDT: Sharks 1 @ Red Wings 0 (SO)

Rate this topic

Was at the game tonight and I was impressed with the team's resolve despite not having its top 2 Dmen playing.

A few notes:

- Datsyuk and Zetterberg (especially Hank) were off a bit tonight. I also was not please with Abby's play back on their line... I truly think they benefit more by having Bert with them

- Franzen is such a lazy player its sickening. In OT he actually went off the ice despite the fact that the sharks would have ended up with a 3 on 0 had they not went offside

- Kindl is a turnover machine still. He has so much time, and then he just turns the puck over. He had at least 3 awful turnovers that almost led to goals.

- Oulett had a good first game, was very solid

- the 4th line was very good... Tootoo provides so much energy. Babs needs to continue to play him.

Smith was fantastic tonight. He was our best puck mover, made solid decisions, and was very good on the D side of the puck as well

Now, the one thing that is apparent to me is that Babcock's use of lines is clearly awful. The lines just do not mesh besides Pavs and Hank. Weiss would benefit sooooooo much from skating with Tatar and Nyquist (because all 3 are fast and Weiss is a north/south speedy centerman). Kenny needs to do something to allow Nyqust to play up.

Zetty-Pavs-Bert

Nyquist-Weiss-Tatar

Franzen-Anderson-Alfie

Miller-Helm-Abby/Cleary/Tootoo

Imagine that. Overall though, I am happy with the Wings getting 1 point and look forward to Kronners being back.

Staying up until my FFB waiver wire opens up. My parents gave me an incredible seat for my BD (thanks Mom & Dad). I'm happy that the Wings got a point tonight considering that the #1 D pairing was out.

That was probably one of the most boring games I have ever been to. Add to that a very drunk lady sitting next to me who first accused me of taking her seat (it was a single seat that apparently is vacant most of the time and she used it to store her purse) and then did the 21 questions thing,; as well as the idiot sitting behind me who was telling his buddies useless hockey facts and rules and trying to commentate the game at the same time.. and YES I resisted the thought of turning around and telling the guy to just shut up.

Such a shame that such awesome seats are consumed by people that don't have an ounce of hockey knowledge.

dsc09664.jpg

Still, with that line-up, against that team, I'll take a shut-out and a point.

tmmlol

What is the story behind that pic? I've seen it so many times, and I've never thought to ask. Was he seriously just licking his stick? Or is it doctored? Gah, I hate the Penguins.

ok this type of loss was probably what nobody expected in a good way but the lack of scoring is becoming worrisome. The more Babcock shuffles, the less they score

Dare I say it.....I miss Brunner in view of Weiss and his 5 million

Our offense starts with our defense. We've missed Kronwall the last couple of games, and Kronwall AND Ericsson in this game (against arguably the most imposing team in the league). And, overall, I think our D has been kinda off thus far. Like I've said (WARNING: dead horse ahead), we're missing a top defenseman with an excellent first pass. Hopefully 1) we get him, and whether we do or not, 2) the rest of our blue liners get more comfortable.

Not saying we couldn't use a Vanek. But between Alfie being awesome, Weiss still having potential (the guy just needs more time), Helm coming back, Abby becoming a top-six player (if only out of necessity), and Tatar and Nyqist stepping up...I don't think we can realistically expect any significant additions up front this season. (And, unfortunately, the same is probably true re: our blue line.)

Babs on Tatar's performance:

“I thought he was really good,” coach Mike Babcock said after the 1-0 shoot-out loss. “He was effective for us, he was on the puck, he was strong on the puck, he played way quicker than he did his last time. I thought he was effective.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20131022/SPORTS05/310220067/1053/sports05

^Manbearpig :paperbag3:

Hard to say who is the ugliest between Kennedy, Couture, and Ricci, they all look like they belong in a carnival freakshow

I'm still convinced that Logan Couture and the bent tooth kid from the Slytherin Quiddich team are the same person. I've said it before and I stand by it.

Babs didn't criticize any aspect of Tatar I don't think. He's got to have earned a spot now, which will help our offense.

I think part of the disappearing offense was the focus on defense. Clearly they went into that game with a focus on playing not to lose. They were simply cautious I bet, so they could support the defense.

Well this is s***ty news if true - http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=434695. Lose Tootoo, call up Nyquist, reclaim throne as softest team in the league. Meanwhile, Cleary and Samuelsson win the lottery as useless signings that cost millions.

Though I thought they should probably part ways with him this offseason Cleary costs less than Tootoo, plays 14 minutes a night, kills penalties, is trustworthy to be on the ice at the end of games, can be out on the PP if need be, and has a goal and an assist. He's looked pretty good for what he is.

Sammy on the other hand is a $3 million 4th liner who has been a healthy scratch multiple times already. He has to be one of Hollands worst ever signings.

- Franzen is such a lazy player its sickening. In OT he actually went off the ice despite the fact that the sharks would have ended up with a 3 on 0 had they not went offside

Franzen was quite possibly our best forward.

Though it did seem like he was tired towards the end of the 3rd and in OT, very quick shifts and mishandled the puck a couple of times. Maybe not being used to playing C and having to skate more drained his energy. But he was good last night.

So according to NHL.com Niemi's perfect night lifts Sharks past Wings and Logan Couture is the third star of the game with these stats. I realize nobody scored, but what do they base this off of? Shots?

G: 0 Shots: 5 A: 0 Hits: 0 PTS: 0 PIM: 0 +/-: 0 TOI: 23:15

Shootout winner?

Franzen was quite possibly our best forward.

Though it did seem like he was tired towards the end of the 3rd and in OT, very quick shifts and mishandled the puck a couple of times. Maybe not being used to playing C and having to skate more drained his energy. But he was good last night.

Shootout winner?

That's good to hear. I didn't see the game but noticed he didn't even register a shot on goal. Given him playing center and what the defense looked like, I'm guessing responsibilities were different than they normally would be.

Though I thought they should probably part ways with him this offseason Cleary costs less than Tootoo, plays 14 minutes a night, kills penalties, is trustworthy to be on the ice at the end of games, can be out on the PP if need be, and has a goal and an assist. He's looked pretty good for what he is.

Sammy on the other hand is a $3 million 4th liner who has been a healthy scratch multiple times already. He has to be one of Hollands worst ever signings.

None of that is true. Cleary has continually been the worst skater on his line. Brings absolutely nothing on the power play and should be nowhere near the ice at the end of a game. The fact we are losing Tootoo for Cleary is pathetic, and Holland is an ******* for putting us in this situation.

Edited by ben_usmc

None of that is true. Cleary has continually been the worst skater on his line. Brings absolutely nothing on the power play and should be nowhere near the ice at the end of a game. The fact we are losing Tootoo for Cleary is pathetic, and Holland is an ******* for putting us in this situation.

Actually it's all true. You just may not be happy about it.

You may not trust him out on the ice at the end of games, but Babcock must because he constantly puts him out there. And I never implied he was great on the PP. Simply that he can play there.

He's a utility guy who makes less money than Tootoo, though it's not really "losing Tootoo for Cleary." Babcock has been swapping Sammy and Tootoo. Cleary should have little to do with Tootoo's ice time as they don't fill the same roles and play on different lines.

I do agree though that Holland screwed the team with a few signings. First and foremost with the Sammy signing. Then he overpaid for Tootoo, who Babcock obviously had little intention of using. Does he not talk to Babcock before he signs guys? Cleary's signing seemed unnecessary but he's at least earning his money.

Actually it's all true. You just may not be happy about it.

You may not trust him out on the ice at the end of games, but Babcock must because he constantly puts him out there. And I never implied he was great on the PP. Simply that he can play there.

He's a utility guy who makes less money than Tootoo, though it's not really "losing Tootoo for Cleary." Babcock has been swapping Sammy and Tootoo. Cleary should have little to do with Tootoo's ice time as they don't fill the same roles and play on different lines.

I do agree though that Holland screwed the team with a few signings. First and foremost with the Sammy signing. Then he overpaid for Tootoo, who Babcock obviously had little intention of using. Does he not talk to Babcock before he signs guys? Cleary's signing seemed unnecessary but he's at least earning his money.

The only sense Cleary is earning his money is by actually being actively playing. Tatar/Tootoo have both looked better than him in there limited time playing. I do understand you are saying that Babcock believes he ok at the end of games and on the PP. But I 100% believe Babcock is wrong. He should not be trusted at all, in any form of NHL hockey.

Edited by ben_usmc

Babcock's obsession with Cleary is absurd, and I blame Holland for being too blind to see above his coach's lunacy.

Cleary is causing Tatar/Nyquist to play limited games, and when Helm comes back, it'll cause even more of a mess. Tootoo might be traded, but then we'd lose a useful 4th line checker, for a useless 2nd line scrub in a Evgeni Malkin jersey.