• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Dats would have scored last night if he didn't get under the puck too much.  He had Niemi beat.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#22 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

When dats misses we lose - when dats scores we win. this is the trend more often than not in the shootout. he shoots first and sets the tone. 

Pretty much. I'd like to see Babs put Pav as the 2nd or 3rd shooter actually. Give him a chance to win the game, or the chance to keep the Wings alive. I think some of our other guys, maybe Tatar, could do well as the 1st shooter as there is less pressure. 

#23 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

I guess his theory is, if it ain't broke don't screw with it.  Unfortunately, goalies are starting to catch on.  So maybe it's time to pull a new trick out of the bag.  He's got enough of them to do that, it's just finding the one that hits the spot.

Posted Image

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,698 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

Pretty much. I'd like to see Babs put Pav as the 2nd or 3rd shooter actually. Give him a chance to win the game, or the chance to keep the Wings alive. I think some of our other guys, maybe Tatar, could do well as the 1st shooter as there is less pressure. 

Total agreement.  The first guy doesn't have to make it.  The second and third guys are usually in the bind. 

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#25 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

I see it as a positive. Sure its only two moves but his approach and movement is the same so the goaltender really has no idea what hes going to do.

Exactly. The run-up is the same, so the goalie has no idea which way Datsyuk is going. It's the best combo of moves one could have.

#26 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

I love Pav but he has missed the net on shootouts a lot lately. I think he has gotten a little complacent and needs to attack the goal with more power moves. But would still rather have him up there than anyone else.

Edited by wings87, 25 October 2013 - 03:17 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#27 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Makes me miss hudler.... Oh wait.
I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#28 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Same move.

Ken Daniels even asked Mick if goalies are starting to pick up on what he is doing.

Even if he missed the net, Pavelec was still antincipating it and playing it. (This critique is seperate to an obviously brilliant game he had tonight).

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

Same move.

Ken Daniels even asked Mick if goalies are starting to pick up on what he is doing.

Even if he missed the net, Pavelec was still antincipating it and playing it. (This critique is seperate to an obviously brilliant game he had tonight).

He's been doing that move since day one.

Surprised it's taken goalies that long to catch on.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#30 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Same move.

If pav hit the net, it was in. Unfortunate that he missed but he had the whole top left corner that time.

Edit: spelling

Edited by amato, 12 November 2013 - 10:19 PM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#31 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

I think we need to lead with someone else. When dats misses it sends bad vibes for everyone else.

#32 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

If pav hit the net, it was in. Unfortunate that he missed but he had the whole top left corner that time.

Edit: spelling

Right, but he didn't hit the net.

In fact, I THINK he has missed the net in every attempt this year.

#33 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

Right, but he didn't hit the net.

In fact, I THINK he has missed the net in every attempt this year.

Right. It sucks that he missed the net but you said that pavelec anticipated it and played it.. which to me implies that if he hit the net, it would've been a save

Datsyukian

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#34 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Regardless, it is incredibly puzzling to me that a guy with probably more bags of tricks than anybody in the league regulates himself to the same move in shootouts.

#35 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'd agree there.. I wonder why. You'd think he'd have no problem coming up with new ideas.

Datsyukian

adjective

#36 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

For some reason I want to say Datsyuk's shootout moves are kind of like Verlander's pitches in that it's just a matter of execution.  I suppose the issue at that point is that Pav never really knows what he wants to do until he's about 5 feet away from the crease. 

#37 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'd agree there.. I wonder why. You'd think he'd have no problem coming up with new ideas.

I actually imagine that new, effective ideas are pretty difficult for any shootout artist at the NHL level. 

#38 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

meanwhile fil wins it in the SO for tampa

#39 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

hes comfortable with the move and wants his team to win. so its his go to move

i dont think he would go out there and try a new move if hes not confident with scoring.

nonetheless i think every fan of hockey wants to see this guy go out there and pull some crazy s*** like he does in games.

#40 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

For some reason I want to say Datsyuk's shootout moves are kind of like Verlander's pitches in that it's just a matter of execution.  I suppose the issue at that point is that Pav never really knows what he wants to do until he's about 5 feet away from the crease. 

I think even if you have magic hands like him it's still a 50:50 chance, just hit the puck slightly wrong and you miss. I think the best shootout moves are the "easy" ones like Setoguchi has shown go in there and rip the puck as hard as you can stick side.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !