31 replies to this topic

#1 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:01 AM

He's pretty good, no?

Had he gone in the draft, he probably would've been in the top ten or fifteen or twenty, IMHO. So we basically got one of those awesome early first-rounders we never get, and without having to give up any assets.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#2 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

He's my favourite Wings defender at the moment. Very solid defensive defenseman who can pass the puck and has some offensive upside as well. I think he'll score soon, had 4 shots last game and hit the crossbar against Phoenix with a rocket shot. Keep up the good work, Danny!

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#3 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

The Wings got a technical shutout last night with DeKeyser leading the team. He sets the tone and you can notice a real change when he's in the lineup versus when he's out. Definitely a player we should be locking up til he's retiring.

#4 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

DeKeyser is my 2nd favorite Dman already behind Kronwall.  He's got the poise of a 10+ year veteran Dman.  Side note, Ouellet looked like he was trying to emulate DeKeyser out there last game.  The young inexperienced blueline didn't look so young and inexperienced last game.  DeKeyser has stepped his game up to a whole new level since Kronwall went down and it looks like the other young guys are looking at how he's playing and buying in.  Even Smith looked really solid last game.  He and Ouellet worked very well together.  Deke can play with anyone and be awesome. :thumbup:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#5 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Dekeyser has been awesome so far.  Very poised.  There's still gonna be some growing pains but man has he been great.

He already does surprisingly well in corners and in front of the net but he could still probably stand to put on 10 or 15 lbs for the battling he's going to do.

#6 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

this guy is the best! him and helm last year in playoffs would have been huge difference. 

#7 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Dekeyser has been awesome so far.  Very poised.  There's still gonna be some growing pains but man has he been great.

He already does surprisingly well in corners and in front of the net but he could still probably stand to put on 10 or 15 lbs for the battling he's going to do.

agreed. and I think i read somewhere that over the course of the offseason he put on around 5-10 lbs.. so i'm sure the extra weight will come.

DD's future looks bright, and so does the wings'.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#8 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

agreed. and I think i read somewhere that over the course of the offseason he put on around 5-10 lbs.. so i'm sure the extra weight will come.

DD's future looks bright, and so does the wings'.

If I'm not mistaken, in last night's broadcast, I believe that Ken Daniels said that he had added 20 lbs. in the offseason, but this quote from Ted Kulfan's article in the Detroit News on 9/18/13 says he added only 7 lbs:

Traverse City — It’s difficult to tell, but it looks like Danny DeKeyser gained weight during the offseason.

The tall, slender defenseman, who is 6-foot-3, was listed at 190 pounds last season.

This year?

“He’s gotten way stronger, he came in at 197 pounds, significantly stronger than heavier than last time,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said Tuesday. “One day he might be 210, but for right now, it’s still great advancement for him.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitne...5#ixzz2iSzlGb16

Either way, his play has been absolutely incredible, and let's hope he is a Wing for a long, long time  - in the footsteps of his idol!

Edited by NYC Wings Fanatic, 22 October 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#9 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I agree with most if not all of what you guys are saying.

I almost feel like he was a gift from The Hockey Gods. Because, the way I remember it, our young, Lidsless blue line didn't really start to calm down and gel and click until DeKeyser stepped into the mix. That might've saved half a season of growing pains while we still have Z's and D's services (which, to me, is The Big Thing in pretty much any and every discussion of this sort).

He plays defense the right way. He's a "coach's defenseman." Were he to be paired with a big point producer, a really offensive defenseman, that might be magical.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#10 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

He's pretty darned good. We shouldn't expect him to be an offensive dynamo, but he's pretty darned good. 

#11 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hopefully we see him stay on the top pair with kronwall for a little bit w/ big e out.. that should boost his development some.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#12 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

As I posted some time ago - DeKeyser is already a solid 2nd pairing Dman in this league, and within a few seasons he'll be a legit top pairing guy.

He looks as though he's been in the league for several seasons...I hope HBO's Winter Classic 24/7 takes notice; this guy has potential for the Norris Trophy.

EDIT - clarification -  potential for the Norris Trophy in a few seasons.

Edited by F.Michael, 22 October 2013 - 11:52 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#13 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yes he is awesome. I thought before the season that there was a good chance that Kindl and dekeyser would be the top pair over Kronwall and E. Dekeyser has shown he is one of the best on the team. maybe the best defensively so far this season. If he ever gets to the 40+ point range offensively he will win many Norris Trophies. Future captain as well.

#14 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Danny D is the next franchise player. I agree with above comments that they should get him locked up as soon as possible.

My question is... Who is the future rafalski-type offensive d-man that will be top pairing with this guy? I'm thinking a good five seasons out, which is when he will really be hitting on all cylinders (usually a bit later for d-men).

#15 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

As I posted some time ago - DeKeyser is already a solid 2nd pairing Dman in this league, and within a few seasons he'll be a legit top pairing guy.

He looks as though he's been in the league for several seasons...I hope HBO's Winter Classic 24/7 takes notice; this guy has potential for the Norris Trophy.

EDIT - clarification -  potential for the Norris Trophy in a few seasons.

Last game he looked like a Norris candidate.  He continues to play like that and we'll be discussing this much sooner than 3 years.  He played awesome D, blocked multiple shots, smartly joined rushes and got a few scoring chances.  He was a force last game.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#16 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

He is the real deal. I hope we lock him up long term.  On many nights he is our best defenseman out there.

#17 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Danny D is the next franchise player. I agree with above comments that they should get him locked up as soon as possible.

My question is... Who is the future rafalski-type offensive d-man that will be top pairing with this guy? I'm thinking a good five seasons out, which is when he will really be hitting on all cylinders (usually a bit later for d-men).

Almqvist is a left handed Rafalski.

#18 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Rafalski-type? Almqvist.

Pure offensive-type? Sproul.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#19 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

I almost feel like he was a gift from The Hockey Gods.

They owe us one after Konstantinov and Fischer.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#20 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Amazing kid.  He's part of a very bright future.

Of course, here at LGW, we knew it all along because Leftwinger was telling us every other post.

A DD appreciation thread wouldn't be complete without acknowledging that he was right.