• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

I think the key is to make solid body contact.  If you hit a guy hard to the body, head contact is legal.  It won't take hitting out of the game.  It should get hitting back to how it used to be.  Skates on the ice, no exploding up, no fly by hits that only contact the shoulder/head area.

The league is trying to send that message but gets in its own way with the erratic suspension lengths.  Grabner's hit, for example, should've gotten more than 2 games. 

Hitting has always been explosive, there always have been head hits, blindsides, and even back in the day they threw in elbows for good measure. Don't even act for a second like hits like this didn't occur previously.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4UWpW-Z3BmY

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-ZCuZ5UWEV0

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cuTYwbLSoUQ

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hitting has always been explosive, there always have been head hits, blindsides, and even back in the day they threw in elbows for good measure. Don't even act for a second like hits like this didn't occur previously.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4UWpW-Z3BmY

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-ZCuZ5UWEV0

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cuTYwbLSoUQ

Yes, your three youtube clips have convinced me. :P

I'm not sure exactly what your point is here.  Even in the hits with elbows, the guys skates are on the ice and there's pretty good body contact.  But an elbow will always be an elbow.  I wasn't saying that was a new phenomenon. 

But for those who complain about hitting being taken out of the game, clean hitting used to be much more skates on the ice with solid body contact.  But the trend of  exploding up like Kronwall used to do and prevalence of fly by hits is a relatively recent development to the NHL.  Maybe the past 15 years or so?

#23 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

This is a weird one, and I am shocked and disappointed there was a suspension handed out.

I watched the clip multiple times and I don't even see a hit to the head.  I see Edler going hard for the puck and Hertle charging in from Edlers bling side and running head first into his shoulder.  Not sure how that is Edlers fault...

Maybe there are other angles though that show something different than the clip in the first post of this thread does though.

EDIT:  At second glance, it even looks like Edler sees Hertl at the last second and tucks his elbow in to try to avoid any harmful contact.  Honestly, I think this one is all on Hertl. 

Edited by sleepwalker, 23 October 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#24 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

Yes, your three youtube clips have convinced me. :P

I'm not sure exactly what your point is here.  Even in the hits with elbows, the guys skates are on the ice and there's pretty good body contact.  But an elbow will always be an elbow.  I wasn't saying that was a new phenomenon. 

But for those who complain about hitting being taken out of the game, clean hitting used to be much more skates on the ice with solid body contact.  But the trend of  exploding up like Kronwall used to do and prevalence of fly by hits is a relatively recent development to the NHL.  Maybe the past 15 years or so?

ahha i could post 100s more. I just posted 3 clips that i found in about 4 seconds. Exploding high into hits has always been around, don'tf****** kid yourself.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#25 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, I dunno I'd feel comfortable saying the exploding thing is a relatively recent phenomenon. I think maybe we're just more attuned to it than we've ever been, what with the supensions and stuff.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

ahha i could post 100s more. I just posted 3 clips that i found in about 4 seconds. Exploding high into hits has always been around, don'tf****** kid yourself.

If we're talking about the same kinds of hits, no they haven't.  I can't tell if we're arguing semantics or not.  I'm talking about hits where a player explodes upwards, his skates sometimes leaving the ice at impact, and a lot of energy is directed towards the head, often without much contact to the body.  That became acceptable as a clean hit. 

There may have been occasional hits like that but it certainly wasn't the prevalent hitting style like it had become.  So no, I'm notf****** kidding myself.

On the other hand if you're talking about flying elbows and dirty hits or just headshots in general, then of course those have always been around to some degree. The game was much dirtier back in the day than it is now.

#27 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

If we're talking about the same kinds of hits, no they haven't.  I can't tell if we're arguing semantics or not.  I'm talking about hits where a player explodes upwards, his skates sometimes leaving the ice at impact, and a lot of energy is directed towards the head, often without much contact to the body.  That became acceptable as a clean hit. 

There may have been occasional hits like that but it certainly wasn't the prevalent hitting style like it had become.  So no, I'm notf****** kidding myself.

On the other hand if you're talking about flying elbows and dirty hits or just headshots in general, then of course those have always been around to some degree. The game was much dirtier back in the day than it is now.

Lol there have always been "explosion" hits. That is the point of a big hit, guys have always left their feet, I really don't know why this is even an argument. It really is just you saying "oh hey" it was different before and now its worse. No... now it is just a bigger deal thanks to the media.

- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Lol there have always been "explosion" hits. That is the point of a big hit, guys have always left their feet, I really don't know why this is even an argument. It really is just you saying "oh hey" it was different before and now its worse. No... now it is just a bigger deal thanks to the media.

It's ok.  I'm confident in my memory of watching hockey for 30+ years.  You obviously have a very different perception of it than I do. There's really no further point in discussing it.