Photo
- - - - -

Sabres' Scott offered in-person hearing.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

From NHL:

Buffalo Sabres left wing John Scott will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety for a hit on Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson during the teams' game Wednesday at First Niagara Center.

Scott was offered the opportunity for an in-person hearing as required by provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for any suspension that can exceed five games.

Quite a collection of ne'er-do-wells and misfits disguising themselves as hockey players in Buffalo.

Lots o' Shannyvisions lately.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 24 October 2013 - 12:40 PM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#2 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Time for John Scott to go. As a supporter of enforcers and fighting, this guy is making an absolute mockery of whats left of the code in the game. First he goes after a skilled player in Phil Kessel in the pre-season of all times, and tries to fight him which is a huge no-no. Then he throws a semi-late, head shot check on a defenseless skill player in a 4-2 game. There's just no room for it, enforcers are supposed to be the hard working, team guys. That is not John Scott, Scott is a joke and nothing more then a cheap shot version of a "goon". Guys like Colton Orr and George Parros don't do this for a reason, if they can get a lick on a skilled guy they take it. But they don't hit him from behind, or put a shoulder to his head. That's not the way it's ever been done. He'll probably get 5 games, he'll cry about how he's really not a dirty player, and then in a month or two he'll do something stupid again to further make enforcers look bad.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 24 October 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#3 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Time for John Scott to go. As a supporter of enforcers and fighting, this guy is making an absolute mockery of whats left of the code in the game. First he goes after a skilled player in Phil Kessel in the pre-season of all times, and tries to fight him which is a huge no-no. Then he throws a semi-late, head shot check on a defenseless skill player in a 4-2 game. There's just no room for it, enforcers are supposed to be the hard working, team guys. That is not John Scott, Scott is a joke and nothing more then a cheap shot version of a "goon". Guys like Colton Orr and George Parros don't do this for a reason, if they can get a lick on a skilled guy they take it. But they don't hit him from behind, or put a shoulder to his head. That's not the way it's ever been done. He'll probably get 5 games, he'll cry about how he's really not a dirty player, and then in a month or two he'll do something stupid again to further make enforcers look bad.

I agree with 99.9% of this, but I do have to give Scott some (very) minor code points for taking it easy on McQuaid in the "fight" that ensued.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#4 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Worst hit so far this year IMO. 10 games minimum, or else this league has jumped the shark.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#5 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just get rid of this guy for good.

Edited by BadgerBob, 24 October 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#6 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Based on the hit alone and the NHL's fondness on this number lately I could see it being 5 games.

Taking into consideration Scott is not a hockey player and already got a phonecall from Shanny for jumping Kessel in the preseason, I'm hoping it's at least 10.

As Bourne points out on his blog (he played against Scott in college), John Scott had 126 games, 19 points, and 347 PIMs.  In college.

http://blogs.thescor...ime/#more-86907

#7 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

He won't get a significant ban due to lack of prior suspensions I would guess, but will be at least 5.

#8 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

That hit is definitely gonna earn him a few games. Direct contact with the head. In Scott's defense, his elbow was tucked, and the size difference between the two ultimately burned Scott. I think 3-5 games seems right.

Scott's not making any friends this year. He's gonna have everybody and their mother after him when Buffalo plays Toronto next month, and he'll have to answer for this against Boston.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#9 troubadour

troubadour

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

I remember John Scott when he played for Michigan Tech (I went to Northern Michigan, so our teams were bitter rivals). He was nothing but a goon then, and he obviously hasn't changed.

#10 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Dirty goon is dirty. Yawn.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#11 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

5 game max. He has no suspension history.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#12 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Do people honestly believe Scott is afraid of having to backup his actions? Scott is one of the toughest enforcers in the NHL there are only a handful, who can go toe toe with him, Orr will fight him for sure but it could end badly for Orr if you don't get enough space between yourself and Scott chances are, he is going to knock people out like he did with Thornton. I am also sure he didn't intent to hurt ERicsson like that, he is so big and his ellbow didn't come up but Ericsson had his head down and therefore the unfortunately hit happened, all the best for Ericsson.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#13 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

From The Score:

Boston, MA (SportsNetwork.com) - Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson will be out indefinitely after suffering a concussion.

Methinks Scott is going to have a lot of idle time on his hands sooner, rather than later. If Shannyvision wants to send a message loud and clear to the rest of the League, he now has his opportunity.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#14 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Do people honestly believe Scott is afraid of having to backup his actions? Scott is one of the toughest enforcers in the NHL there are only a handful, who can go toe toe with him, Orr will fight him for sure but it could end badly for Orr if you don't get enough space between yourself and Scott chances are, he is going to knock people out like he did with Thornton. I am also sure he didn't intent to hurt ERicsson like that, he is so big and his ellbow didn't come up but Ericsson had his head down and therefore the unfortunately hit happened, all the best for Ericsson.

Fizzix?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#15 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Holy f***, that is a shoulder hit by a guy who is 6'8 there is nothing wrong with that hit.

I also don't know how players get hurt from hits like this which is clearly nowhere close to the impact of the kronwall hit yet kronwall was fine. 

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#16 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Holy f***, that is a shoulder hit by a guy who is 6'8 there is nothing wrong with that hit.

I also don't know how players get hurt from hits like this which is clearly nowhere close to the impact of the kronwall hit yet kronwall was fine. 

I'm sorry, but I am getting close to not being able to take your comments on hitting seriously.  Even Scott himself felt the hit was completely out of line.

#17 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

On the angle from behind you can see that impact isn't until Scott is past Eriksson's right hip and right shoulder.  He caught a piece of Eriksson's shoulder and also his head, but the mantra from the NHL has been that you need to make solid body contact.  Scott didn't do that. 

The NHL has examples of legal and illegal hits on their website that clearly explain the standard.  It's pretty simple.  You can't just fly by and clip a guy in the head and shoulders.  You have to make solid contact to his body. 

#18 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Dirty hit indeed. I would guess a lengthy suspension for this AND if it happens again by Scott expect an absence from the game altogether...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 25 October 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#19 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Dirty hit indeed. I would guess a lengthy suspension for this AND if it happens again by Scott expect an absence from the game altogether...

I highly doubt he'd get banned altogether. Kaleta has been pulling antics for years and he's still around.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

I highly doubt he'd get banned altogether. Kaleta has been pulling antics for years and he's still around.

Raffi Torres