• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

What's Killing Our Offense?

Rate this topic

As long as Cleary, Bertuzzi and Abby are getting top 6 minutes we wont be a serious contender.

And I'm a supporter of Abby and Bert serving big roles on this club. But they are not top 6. They're both bottom 6 with Bert having the ability to play on the PP.

All you have to do is look at a team like San Jose and the depth of scorers they have in their top 9.

Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Burns, Pavelski, Hertl, Havlat(IR), Wingels, Nieto, Kennedy,

Guest Crymson

As long as Cleary, Bertuzzi and Abby are getting top 6 minutes we wont be a serious contender.

Neither Cleary nor Abdelkader have been in the top six over the past few games. Bertuzzi is currently third on the team in goals.

Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Burns, Pavelski, Hertl, Havlat(IR), Wingels, Nieto, Kennedy,

Nieto and Kennedy are not scorers, and Wingels is having an unusually good season thus far.

Nieto and Kennedy are not scorers, and Wingels is having an unusually good season thus far.

Pretty sure he was just listing the whole top nine, because his point sort of calls for it. And he's right - they're very deep up front. And their blue line is pretty solid. They're a team that's built to win the Cup. No significant holes.

Our top nine could potentially be among the best in the league, if things come together the right way and a few planets align and the Hockey Gods shine upon us.

Neither Cleary nor Abdelkader have been in the top six over the past few games. Bertuzzi is currently third on the team in goals.

With the amount lines have changed this season the best indicator is TOI. Abdelkader is 6th, Cleary 7th with a difference of 30 seconds/game between them. That speaks for itself.

Bertuzzi is 3rd in goals hence my reasoning for saying he should still have a prominent role in the bottom 6 with PP time. It's the other aspects of his game that are suspect. Hence his benching last game for poor defensive coverage.

So 2-3 out of the 10 guys I listed are not known as scorers. That still leaves 7 great scoring forwards. lol It's embarassing comparing our top 9 with that. Especially considering most of their guys are drafted and developed as well.

Could it be the Babcock system is just no longer working? We've got Z, Pav, Franzen, Alfie, Weiss and we can't score? How does this make sense? I see way too much dump and chase...but we're supposedly a puck posession team.

We also have serious problems with the QB on point, or rather lack of...only Kronwall can one time a slap shot or assist on goals. Kronwall has 7 points, the other 7 defenseman have 9 points...we had to get a 40 year old right hand slap shot for our PP because none of our defenseman can do it.

I'm with the others who are pointing at our back end, and not just defensmen, but how the entire team plays in our own zone. Quite frankly, the Wings are sloppy and slow on the breakout, and our young D-core is susceptible to hard fore-checks which only aggravates the problem. If we can't get good speed going out of our own zone and transition the game quickly and smoothly, we aren't going to generate any odd-man rushes or set ourselves up for quality scoring opportunities on the other end of the ice. Instead, our primary mode of attack is to regain possession in our own zone, get organized, and work our way out (by this point all five of the other team's skaters have retreated to the neutral zone and are defensively prepared for us). Datsyuk and Zetterberg can deal with that kind of defensive opposition. The rest of the team doesn't have that type of skill or vision, so its no surprise that anyone not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg has a low point total.

Having said that, I also think Babcock hit the nail on the head saying that the Wings aren't doing the small stuff right, and they're playing a soft, sloppy brand of hockey all around. Still, I don't think the solution is a roster shake-up or anything so dramatic. The players need to establish an identity for themselves and play a system that complements their strengths. That comes with practice and familiarity with your teammates. We're a young team, there's plenty of fresh blood on the team, its still early in the season, and they're lucky to have one of the best coaches in the game to help them out. They'll get it sorted out.

Could it be the Babcock system is just no longer working? We've got Z, Pav, Franzen, Alfie, Weiss and we can't score? How does this make sense? I see way too much dump and chase...but we're supposedly a puck posession team.

We also have serious problems with the QB on point, or rather lack of...only Kronwall can one time a slap shot or assist on goals. Kronwall has 7 points, the other 7 defenseman have 9 points...we had to get a 40 year old right hand slap shot for our PP because none of our defenseman can do it.

How about the fact that 4 of those 5 are 33+ and the one that isn't is coming off of a major wrist injury/surgery. yet this is the group we decided would take us to the promised land!

The problem is the same that they have had for several years now not enough top six talent. The team is made up of mostly third and fourth line guys.

One of these days it would be awesome to see what Pavel could do with a 40 goal scorer on his line.

We're a young team, there's plenty of fresh blood on the team, its still early in the season, and they're lucky to have one of the best coaches in the game to help them out. They'll get it sorted out.

And if they don't, then we get an awesome trade. (Plus awesome offseason signings???) And if that doesn't work or doesn't happen, we get an awesome draft pick.

A win-win-win situation.

I expected a little more offense from Smith and Kindl, who both have combined for 2 points in 18 games. Or I should say Kindl has both points, Smith has zero. Smith has looked better recently with his scoring chances though, I'll admit.

luckily we have Weiss for 5 years. good times

Now we all have come up with hundreds of reasons of why we are were we are, that is the easy part. The hard part is what to do about it? We can't just sit by and "wait for the young guys'. Hell we are not using the 2 that are ready now. tatar and nyquist should be playing every damn game. if that means we cut a Sammy then do it! Sheahan and Jurco should be ready by the end of the year as well. but none of those 4 guys is going to make a major impact on our O. can they help? yes. But none of them are 60+ point 30+ goal guys. they don't do it in the minors, so they sure as heck are going to do it at a higher level.

The only forward in our entire system that looks like future star on O is Mantha, but it will take him 3-4 years to be at that level.

This means we have to go out and make trades and sign UFA's. There is no other way to do it right now. maybe 3 years from now we will have more talent/potential stars in our system. But we can't wait 3 years. if we do we will become a sub .500 team and miss the PO's several times in a row.

Now trades require payment. You don't go out and pick up 30+ goal scorers for free. we can't pass on guys like Ryan when the chance is there. Be 100% honest, which would be better for us right now? tatar, nyquist, and the 2014 1st or Ryan? How about tatar, nyquist and a 2nd or Vanek? Point is we can come up with lots of names, and we need to make moves.

Jurco seems like a guy who will make an impact at the NHL level as long as he gets top 6 minutes, or is at least on a line with Nyquist/Tatar and Helm as a 3rd line. Tatar and Nyquist could make an offensive impact, but they need to be on the team for starters and playing good minutes with good players, such as Dats, Z, Mule, Weiss, Alfredsson, Helm.....Andersson is a shutdown guy who needs to be our 4th line C fighting for a spot this summer against Glendening and Sheahan. No more signing over the hill vets to 2 year contracts when we could have the guys mentioned as well as Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok, Tvrdon and then Mantha who currently has 39 points in 15 games, with 19 goals in the QMJHL. That kid will certainly not kill our offence as long as he can take his game to the NHL level. This summer, Kenny needs to let Cleary, Tuzzi, Sammy and Quincey go.

A guy who makes Franzen look like Ovie? Not for almost 6 million a year.

Yeah, our blue line is already stacked enough as it is.

Kronwall - DeKeyser

Smith - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Who are you going to move/demote for P.K. Subban, reigning Norris Trophy winner? Maybe Quincey, but he's been nothing but solid for us since we traded a first round pick for him.

Bottom line, we're brimming with all-star offensive defensemen. What we really need is a quality goaltender.

Have you ever watched him play? He would fit on this team perfectly. He's exactly what we need.

RH shot, bomb from the blue line, racks up points, young and physical

Expect Subaan to be getting 7+ when he signs a new contract and worth it imo

Edited by joesuffP

I'm not even sure what this means? So I'm going to guess for fun. Subban makes...

one ugly foreigner look like another ugly foreigner.

one guy not known for his work ethic look like another guy not known for his work ethic.

a guy who doesn't play defense well look like a guy who doesn't play defense at all.

a terrible actor look like a terrible dancer.

Guest Crymson

Subban is exactly what we need. A young, gifted, right-handed offensive defenseman who could singlehandedly rekindle our offense. I fully expect him to re-sign with the Habs, though.

Good thing we've got Sproul in the system.