• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

What's Killing Our Offense?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Let's hope he pans out.

His performance in the OHL was comparable to Subban's. Too, he was named OHL Defenseman of the Year last season; Subban was never awarded this honor. He's also taller than Subban by three inches, though he still needs to fill out his frame.

And if they don't, then we get an awesome trade. (Plus awesome offseason signings???) And if that doesn't work or doesn't happen, we get an awesome draft pick.

A win-win-win situation.

Because when the Red Wings lose, they still win!

Edited by Echolalia

His performance in the OHL was comparable to Subban's. Too, he was named OHL Defenseman of the Year last season; Subban was never awarded this honor. He's also taller than Subban by three inches, though he still needs to fill out his frame.

Not saying I don't like him and don't want him to - and think he will - pan out, but nothing's for certain with prospects, right? Just look at Smith. How many of us thought he'd be struggling this mightily? (Not saying I don't think Smith will become a dominant defenseman in this league.) It's definitely encouraging, though. Sproul's success, I mean.

I guess the big thing for me here is The Big Thing I've been talking about: we only have a few more seasons of The Datsyuk and Zetterberg Show left. So, while I'm totally on board the Sproul bus, Holland should be aggressively pursuing any and all possibilities re: top defensemen, IMHO.

I would rather Ouellet play over Smith or Q. He cannot be any worse, those two are on Aki Berg level.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Smith yet thiugh I'd be ok with trading him. Quincey on the other hand went back to traded a 1st round pick for garbage Quincey. He's brutal and he's been taking really bad penalties lately.

What is Babcock thinking? Didn't take long to break up that third line. Abdelkader and Cleary do not belong in the top 6. Do. Not. Belong.

Is like to see us trade a prospect for an established A-lister in their mid-20s. Better to win now than pin your hopes on some kid or as-yet-undrafted player of the future.

Not saying trade picks and prospects like no tomorrow, but two players and a couple of picks for a Norris-caliber defenseman would benefit us more than those prospects.

Is like to see us trade a prospect for an established A-lister in their mid-20s. Better to win now than pin your hopes on some kid or as-yet-undrafted player of the future.

Not saying trade picks and prospects like no tomorrow, but two players and a couple of picks for a Norris-caliber defenseman would benefit us more than those prospects.

Yes, this. This, this, this.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are, right now, about as good as they're going to be from here on out. Alfredsson is here and he's awesome and ludicrously motivated. Howard is in fine form.

Ericsson is good enough that he can play top-pairing minutes or drop down to the second pairing and be really, really good - so, point being, it's not like adding a high-end defenseman would give us only two really good defensemen (which, I admit, probably wouldn't be worth it). It'd give us three studs plus DeKeyser, and that's a potentially Cup-winning top four, unlike what we have now (yeah, we're gonna win it all with Smith-Quincey getting pretty big minutes. Excuse me while I barf.)

Or, if we wanna go for a scoring forward - go for it, Ken! We need all the scoring help we can get! Do it!

This team is nowhere good enough to be a legitimate Cup contender. I'm starting to feel bad for Alfie. Do you see us beating the Pens in a best-of-seven? Boston? I think even the Leafs would thump us, and, ick, that's a new and extremely unpleasant notion. Or, let's say we come out of the East. Do we beat the 'hawks or Sharks or even the Avs? OK, maybe the Avs. But it'd probably be close, and Mule would have to be the real Mule, which we can't really count on.

"Well, two things, Robert."

Go ahead.

"First, we took the Blackhawks to seven games last season."

I think we got a bit...well, I don't want to say lucky. I'll put it this way: I don't see us doing that again. We were just obscenely incredible for that three-game stretch, and the 'hawks were not themselves during that time. They got their crap together, Brendan Smith existed, and we ended that series on an incredibly terrible, madly disappointing, searingly sour note.

"OK, fair enough. But, the second thing is, we're in the middle of a big transition phase; we should be satisfied with just making the playoffs."

Booooooo!!!

We're the Red Wings. It's Cup or bust every season, no excuses. And Daniel Alfredsson, who some believe is God Himself, chose the Wings over the Bruins for His final push. So, win the Cup or go to Hell. (No pressure.)

/weekly rant

Edited by Dabura

That's how I feel. When did we stop going for the Cup every year? We have to have a long-term vision, I get that. But when you're always waiting for tomorrow's kids to miraculously become all-stars, you're missing out on chances to win here and now.

For all the troubles with this team, the problems aren't un-fixable. We're tied for 2nd in our division and 6th in our conference early in the season. A good winning streak like most teams have and we could be on top. Tweak a few things while you can and win NOW.

Have you ever watched him play? He would fit on this team perfectly. He's exactly what we need.

RH shot, bomb from the blue line, racks up points, young and physical

Expect Subaan to be getting 7+ when he signs a new contract and worth it imo

Yeah, the problem with Detroit isn't defensive players, the team is pretty good on the backend and between the pipes. Detroit needs a top 6 forward who can score goals (too many playmakers on this team). Add to it he will get 7.5-8 million on the open market and as I said, his production to dollar ratio will make Franzen look like Ovie.

Edited by Shaman

Yeah, the problem with Detroit isn't defensive players, the team is pretty good on the backend and between the pipes. Detroit needs a top 6 forward who can score goals (too many playmakers on this team). Add to it he will get 7.5-8 million on the open market and as I said, his production to dollar ratio will make Franzen look like Ovie.

Our offense has always started with our blue line. That hasn't really been happening ever since we lost Rafalski and Lidstrom. Right now it's barely happening at all, and I believe that has everything to do with our crappy output. Who on our blue line is really capable of running the offense, consistently making that excellent first pass, moving the puck like a true pro? We have Kronwall and...Smith? Kindl? Ericsson has been good for us, and so has DeKeyser - but they're defensive defensemen, as is Lashoff. (Not sure what Quincey is. And yes, I mean that in a mean way.) A guy like Subban (i.e. a gifted offensive defenseman) would do wonders for our offense, IMHO.

Not that I wouldn't love a scoring winger. But I think the biggest problem with our offense is our defense, mostly the "offensive" side of it.

Edited by Dabura