• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

I remember the beginning of last season and seems to be happening again this season. No bottom 6 scoring. Once that gets figured out things will be better I hope...

#42 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,023 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Lines at practice today:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Franzen

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Cleary-Weiss-Abdelkader

Miller-Andersson-Tootoo

Hopefully it provides a spark.

#NOMOREKINDL

#43 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Maybe Babcock is just too focuses on defense. Lidstrom leaving might have really rattled his plans. Very little emphasis seems to have been placed on bottom six scoring.

Lines at practice today:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Franzen
Cleary-Weiss-Abdelkader
Miller-Andersson-Tootoo

I like those lines. We unfortunately can't keep Datsyuk and Z together right now.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#44 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Lines at practice today:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-Weiss-Abdelkader

Miller-Andersson-Tootoo

didn't see this before posting the same thing in the lines thread ha whoops.

power play 1 stays the same.

power play 2:

franzen-weiss-tatar

kindl-dekeyser

love that tatar is getting the spot he deserves.. now he just has to perform.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Lines at practice today:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Franzen
Cleary-Weiss-Abdelkader
Miller-Andersson-Tootoo

Omg that first line has the makings to be a very very dominant line, and the second line isn't far behind in that regard. I expect very good things from those lines.

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

I like those lines. I'm happy and excited for Tatar. Hopefully he takes full advantage of this situation.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Lines at practice today:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-Weiss-Abdelkader

Miller-Andersson-Tootoo

It's a good start, but I am baffled as to why Dan Cleary is still in the lineup at all. Sad as it is to say, even Samuelsson would be better.

Edited by Crymson, 25 October 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#48 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

It's a good start, but I am baffled as to why Dan Cleary is still in the lineup at all. Sad as it is to say, even Samuelsson would be better.

The third line with clearly is so bad. I think we are gunna be wishing z and d were together to score.

God dammit Weiss not being able to center a second line!
Posted Image

#49 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

take-that-back-now.jpg

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

The third line with clearly is so bad. I think we are gunna be wishing z and d were together to score.

God dammit Weiss not being able to center a second line!

That 3rd line would be infinitely better with Eaves, Helm, or Nyquist in place of Cleary.

#51 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Some of this was to be expected. Like I asked earlier, when was the last time we developed a star forward? But to answer that, what is the definition of "star"? A 40 point per year or 50 point per year guy is not a star to me. I look at "stars" as 60+ point guys with 30+ goals per year. We haven't developed one of those in 15 years now. I don't see one coming soon either. maybe mantha (I believe he will be) but he is also 2+ years away from making the Wings and will need a season or 2 to blossom then.

So if we haven't been developing star players internally, have we been trading for them or signing them as UFA's? no. All of which brings us back to where we are today. yes all GM's make mistakes when deciding which players to keep vs let walk. Franzen over Hossa was a big one. yes it was 5 years ago and there has been ample time to make up for that error. yes we missed on parise and in another year or 2 we will be glad we did. maybe. fact is star players make star player money. We don't seem to be willing to spend it. last year was a good example of this. We signed 3 role players for 6 million per year. How has that worked out? Sammy-wish he was gone, brunner-bailed on us after 1 season, and tootoo-likeable guy but doesn't offer much. This past off season we could have traded for a proven 30+ goal scorer-Ryan, but we decided not to. even though he is young, RHed, signed for another year after this one and costs less per year than Cleary, Alfie, Tatar, and Nyquist combined. Not to mention he is out scoring all 4 this year. next summer we have a ton of money coming off the cap. anyone care to make a wager on if we sign Vanek or someone like that? it will cost 8 million per year to do it, so I bet we pass.

Now some on here are hoping and begging for tatar, nyquist, and helm to get back, and expect that to fix our offense. Sorry but it will not. tatar and nyquist are more of the same. Speedy guys yes. Puck movers yes. but these are not guys that are going to drive through the Dman and burry the puck in the net on a regular basis. it will be more of the same. Skate around and shoot the puck from 30+ feet away. maybe I should write 10 meters.... helm is not an offensive player. Awesome defensive forward yes, but he is not a goal scorer. None of these three are going to stand in the crease or block out the G and pick up the rebounds, which is a big part of our problem. yes we were spoiled having Homer all of those years. One of the best front of the net guys ever. No one guy is going to do what he did. But that doesn't mean we don't try to find those guys. The issue is, most of the guys that do that also drop the gloves from time to time, and that is something that the brain trust refuses to acquire.

#52 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

The third line looks pretty good, for a checking line (as opposed to a third scoring line). And, yeah, it'd probably be better with pretty much anyone else in Cleary's place. Except Sammy.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#53 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Interesting

Don't Toews me, bro!

#54 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'd say the team so far this year seems to suffer from a lack of synergy.

#55 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

God, I hope Tatar just comes in and snipes it up.

#56 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

Some of this was to be expected. Like I asked earlier, when was the last time we developed a star forward? But to answer that, what is the definition of "star"? A 40 point per year or 50 point per year guy is not a star to me. I look at "stars" as 60+ point guys with 30+ goals per year. We haven't developed one of those in 15 years now. I don't see one coming soon either. maybe mantha (I believe he will be) but he is also 2+ years away from making the Wings and will need a season or 2 to blossom then.
So if we haven't been developing star players internally, have we been trading for them or signing them as UFA's? no. All of which brings us back to where we are today. yes all GM's make mistakes when deciding which players to keep vs let walk. Franzen over Hossa was a big one. yes it was 5 years ago and there has been ample time to make up for that error. yes we missed on parise and in another year or 2 we will be glad we did. maybe. fact is star players make star player money. We don't seem to be willing to spend it. last year was a good example of this. We signed 3 role players for 6 million per year. How has that worked out? Sammy-wish he was gone, brunner-bailed on us after 1 season, and tootoo-likeable guy but doesn't offer much. This past off season we could have traded for a proven 30+ goal scorer-Ryan, but we decided not to. even though he is young, RHed, signed for another year after this one and costs less per year than Cleary, Alfie, Tatar, and Nyquist combined. Not to mention he is out scoring all 4 this year. next summer we have a ton of money coming off the cap. anyone care to make a wager on if we sign Vanek or someone like that? it will cost 8 million per year to do it, so I bet we pass.
Now some on here are hoping and begging for tatar, nyquist, and helm to get back, and expect that to fix our offense. Sorry but it will not. tatar and nyquist are more of the same. Speedy guys yes. Puck movers yes. but these are not guys that are going to drive through the Dman and burry the puck in the net on a regular basis. it will be more of the same. Skate around and shoot the puck from 30+ feet away. maybe I should write 10 meters.... helm is not an offensive player. Awesome defensive forward yes, but he is not a goal scorer. None of these three are going to stand in the crease or block out the G and pick up the rebounds, which is a big part of our problem. yes we were spoiled having Homer all of those years. One of the best front of the net guys ever. No one guy is going to do what he did. But that doesn't mean we don't try to find those guys. The issue is, most of the guys that do that also drop the gloves from time to time, and that is something that the brain trust refuses to acquire.

You do know we developed Datsyuk and z right?

Also Tatar does drive the net, and he is gritty. Him and goose are very different

Edited by Euro_Twins, 25 October 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#57 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Feels like the season is just starting now...

10 games of weeding out some vets and getting new players adjusted to the system.  2 Goalies good to go.  Our lineup is starting to resemble what it should be. All we need is Nyquist up.

No excuses now.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#58 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

You do know we developed Datsyuk and z right?

Also Tatar does drive the net, and he is gritty. Him and goose are very different

Datsyuk and zetterberg were drafted in '98 and '99 respectively, roughly fifteen years ago. It isn't a secret that we have had trouble drafting/developing top 6 forwards. We do have some promising guys in the pipeline, but potential is no guarantee of success.

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Babcock is positively frustrating at times.  If you look at my post on the first page of this thread you'll see that I argued for a top six of...

Alfie-Pav-Bert

Zetterberg-Weiss-Franzen

And he goes with...

Alfie-Pav-Bert

Tatar-Zetterberg-Franzen

Close but no cigar.  Zetterberg is the only winger scoring goals.  So obviously he needs to be moved.  Also, Weiss is penciled in as the second line center.  That's where he wants to play, that's where the team wants him to play, and that's where he should play.  Yet he doesn't.  Why not put him between two capable wingers, let him get in on some scoring while learning the system with veterans who can make plays and help ease his transition?  Instead they expect him to gain confidence while both trying to learn a new system (the first of his career) and carry the entire offensive load on a line with two hammer hands wingers. 

F*ck I hate Babs' line combinations.

Edited by kipwinger, 25 October 2013 - 06:02 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#60 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Lines at practice today:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-Weiss-Abdelkader