For pronger to jump into.

#142 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

I like your thinking, jimmy.

Also, it just occurred to me that Lidstrom - Pronger would have resulted in a dozen Cups. I am very sad that this never happened, even if Pronger is a godforsaken ****** (and he is) and a sworn eternal enemy (and he is).

Don't Toews me, bro!

#143 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

People would've HATED the red wings, and wed have been called a dirty team just because of him.
But god, would that have been a scary defense.

#144 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

People would've HATED the red wings, and wed have been called a dirty team just because of him.
But god, would that have been a scary defense.

That defense would make ovie look like franzen!! :tomato:

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#145 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

That defense would make ovie look like franzen!! :tomato:

meaning make him actually do something in the playoffs and win a cup?

#146 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

What is Babcock thinking? Didn't take long to break up that third line. Abdelkader and Cleary do not belong in the top 6. Do. Not. Belong.

Is like to see us trade a prospect for an established A-lister in their mid-20s. Better to win now than pin your hopes on some kid or as-yet-undrafted player of the future.

Not saying trade picks and prospects like no tomorrow, but two players and a couple of picks for a Norris-caliber defenseman would benefit us more than those prospects.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#147 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Is like to see us trade a prospect for an established A-lister in their mid-20s. Better to win now than pin your hopes on some kid or as-yet-undrafted player of the future.

Not saying trade picks and prospects like no tomorrow, but two players and a couple of picks for a Norris-caliber defenseman would benefit us more than those prospects.

Yes, this. This, this, this.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are, right now, about as good as they're going to be from here on out. Alfredsson is here and he's awesome and ludicrously motivated. Howard is in fine form.

Ericsson is good enough that he can play top-pairing minutes or drop down to the second pairing and be really, really good - so, point being, it's not like adding a high-end defenseman would give us only two really good defensemen (which, I admit, probably wouldn't be worth it). It'd give us three studs plus DeKeyser, and that's a potentially Cup-winning top four, unlike what we have now (yeah, we're gonna win it all with Smith-Quincey getting pretty big minutes. Excuse me while I barf.)

Or, if we wanna go for a scoring forward - go for it, Ken! We need all the scoring help we can get! Do it!

This team is nowhere good enough to be a legitimate Cup contender. I'm starting to feel bad for Alfie. Do you see us beating the Pens in a best-of-seven? Boston? I think even the Leafs would thump us, and, ick, that's a new and extremely unpleasant notion. Or, let's say we come out of the East. Do we beat the 'hawks or Sharks or even the  Avs? OK, maybe the Avs. But it'd probably be close, and Mule would have to be the real Mule, which we can't really count on.

"Well, two things, Robert."

Go ahead.

"First, we took the Blackhawks to seven games last season."

I think we got a bit...well, I don't want to say lucky. I'll put it this way: I don't see us doing that again. We were just obscenely incredible for that three-game stretch, and the 'hawks were not themselves during that time. They got their crap together, Brendan Smith existed, and we ended that series on an incredibly terrible, madly disappointing, searingly sour note.

"OK, fair enough. But, the second thing is, we're in the middle of a big transition phase; we should be satisfied with just making the playoffs."

Booooooo!!!

We're the Red Wings. It's Cup or bust every season, no excuses. And Daniel Alfredsson, who some believe is God Himself, chose the Wings over the Bruins for His final push. So, win the Cup or go to Hell. (No pressure.)

/weekly rant

Edited by Dabura, 01 November 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#148 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

That's how I feel.  When did we stop going for the Cup every year?  We have to have a long-term vision, I get that.  But when you're always waiting for tomorrow's kids to miraculously become all-stars, you're missing out on chances to win here and now.

For all the troubles with this team, the problems aren't un-fixable.  We're tied for 2nd in our division and 6th in our conference early in the season.  A good winning streak like most teams have and we could be on top.  Tweak a few things while you can and win NOW.  

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#149 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

Have you ever watched him play? He would fit on this team perfectly. He's exactly what we need.

RH shot, bomb from the blue line, racks up points, young and physical

Expect Subaan to be getting 7+ when he signs a new contract and worth it imo

Yeah, the problem with Detroit isn't defensive players, the team is pretty good on the backend and between the pipes. Detroit needs a top 6 forward who can score goals (too many playmakers on this team). Add to it he will get 7.5-8 million on the open market and as I said, his production to dollar ratio will make Franzen look like Ovie.

Edited by Shaman, 01 November 2013 - 11:06 AM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#150 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

And a time machine,
For pronger to jump into.

If I had a time machine, I'd save Konstantinov.  Theres our dozen Cups.  Vladdy was a clean, hard hitter with 10x the skill of that meathead.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#151 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, the problem with Detroit isn't defensive players, the team is pretty good on the backend and between the pipes. Detroit needs a top 6 forward who can score goals (too many playmakers on this team). Add to it he will get 7.5-8 million on the open market and as I said, his production to dollar ratio will make Franzen look like Ovie.

Our offense has always started with our blue line. That hasn't really been happening ever since we lost Rafalski and Lidstrom. Right now it's barely happening at all, and I believe that has everything to do with our crappy output. Who on our blue line is really capable of running the offense, consistently making that excellent first pass, moving the puck like a true pro? We have Kronwall and...Smith? Kindl? Ericsson has been good for us, and so has DeKeyser - but they're defensive defensemen, as is Lashoff. (Not sure what Quincey is. And yes, I mean that in a mean way.) A guy like Subban (i.e. a gifted offensive defenseman) would do wonders for our offense, IMHO.

Not that I wouldn't love a scoring winger. But I think the biggest problem with our offense is our defense, mostly the "offensive" side of it.

Edited by Dabura, 01 November 2013 - 02:45 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#152 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Could we cut a deal with the oilers? Can't really part with a D man though. Can't see it happening

#153 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Our offense has always started with our blue line. That hasn't really been happening ever since we lost Rafalski and Lidstrom. Right now it's barely happening at all, and I believe that has everything to do with our crappy output. Who on our blue line is really capable of running the offense, consistently making that excellent first pass, moving the puck like a true pro? We have Kronwall and...Smith? Kindl? Ericsson has been good for us, and so has DeKeyser - but they're defensive defensemen, as is Lashoff. (Not sure what Quincey is. And yes, I mean that in a mean way.) A guy like Subban (i.e. a gifted offensive defenseman) would do wonders for our offense, IMHO.

Not that I wouldn't love a scoring winger. But I think the bigggest problem with our offense is our defense, mostly the "offensive" side of it.

Let's hope that Sproul and Ouellet don't get Nyquistatar'd in the minors and make the team asap.  Ouellet looked awesome in his 1st game and Sproul should run our PP asap as well.  If Smith doesn't get his s*** together asap, then i'l like to see the following next year:

Kronwall-DeKeyser

Sproul-Ouellet

Kindl-Ericsson

Smith/Almqvist

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#154 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

BTW - Subban is tied for the league lead among defensemen with 11 points. He's a point producer, and, again, exactly what we need, IMHO.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#155 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Could we cut a deal with the oilers? Can't really part with a D man though. Can't see it happening

Sure we can, Quincey. 

We trade Quincey, Samuelsson, Eaves and Tootoo for their 4th round pick (who cares what we get).  We call up Nyquist to his rightful place, bring up Almqvist and let Sproul and Ouellet finish the year in GR ready to take the 2nd pairing next year and we bring up Glendening whenever needed as we are currently doing.  More offense needed?  Bring up Jurco for a game here and there.

When we have "insert league here" Defenseman of the Year all through our system, we surely can trade away Dmen.

#156 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

How bad is it, really? I had to look it up.

Since the start of the Modern Conference Era (1993-94), it's the fewest goals scored (29) in the first thirteen games, five fewer than 1996-97, 2006-07 and 2011-12. The most? Fifty-six, in 1993-94

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#157 bakerbert

bakerbert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

These are actually turning out to be pretty funny. 

funny_zpsdaa3b2c5.jpg

"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!"
- Mickey Redmond

#158 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

I wonder if Megatron would be willing to suit up for a few games.

#159 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

If I had a time machine, I'd save Konstantinov.  Theres our dozen Cups.  Vladdy was a clean, hard hitter with 10x the skill of that meathead.

I had that thought as well as taking dats z and lids in there with them.
But UNLIKE just taking pronger in the time machine, that's unrealistic.
HA.
And as much as I agree, pronger took crappy teams to Stanley cup finals.
He was pretty dirty, but one pronger is greater grit than all the grit weve had on our team in over a decade.
Forwards skated differently around him, they were timid on the puck.

Edit: I would stop them from getting in that limo just to keep them safe, even if they weren't going to play hockey again.
Now imagine that playing next to Lidstrom who would swipe the puck from anyone who came near him on a rush.
I've had wet dreams about less.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter, 01 November 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#160 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Not that I wouldn't love a scoring winger. But I think the biggest problem with our offense is our defense, mostly the "offensive" side of it.

I would still disagree, the problem in my opinion is there is absolutely no one on the team that is a goal scorer. Without someone willing to take the pass from the D or the playmaking forwards all the PP QB in the world won't make much difference. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt