• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

Ever since Holmstrom left this team has had absolutely nobody that can consistently tip pucks in front of the net. For the last several years its either a puck goes in cleanly off the shot or the wings have a tough time scoring. Not sure what you do to fix this but not being able it tip pucks past goalies has really demolished the offense. Iwonder if its becoming a lost art, every team seems to want to score on the rush or with traffic, and no team seems to have a Holmstrom or a Smyth.

Edited by wings87, 25 October 2013 - 12:45 AM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#2 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

Cleary and Abdelkader haven't done a bad job, but Homer was the best net-front player since Phil Esposito, of course we're going to miss him.  We miss Lidstrom too.

Despite all that, he was only ever a complimentary player.  Without Lidstrom and to a lesser extent Rafalski/Kronwall/Schneider/Murphy etc firing slapshots from the point, he wouldn't be half as effective.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#3 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

Cleary and Abdelkader haven't done a bad job, but Homer was the best net-front player since Phil Esposito, of course we're going to miss him.  We miss Lidstrom too.

Despite all that, he was only ever a complimentary player.  Without Lidstrom and to a lesser extent Rafalski/Kronwall/Schneider/Murphy etc firing slapshots from the point, he wouldn't be half as effective.

I agree but im not just talking about a net-front guy im talking specifically about re-directing pucks, which we suck at. It helps having more accurate defenseman but you still have to be able to tip a puck and not just block a goalies vision.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#4 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

Come to think of it, it wasn't so bad having half of our goals waived off when there were three times more going in the net in the first place.

#5 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Of course we're missing Homer.  A goalie can't make a save he can't see.  These goalies see everything we shoot at them.  Besides most players don't have the balls Homer had to take the abuse.  He was very smart.  He found a niche for himself many players don't discover themselves and he has 4 Stanley Cup rings to prove it.

I miss him :(

#6 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Holmer.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#7 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

Holmer was a shell of his former self the last few seasons he played.  Guys get old, they retire, they move on.  Fans should too.

Edited by Playmaker, 25 October 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#8 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,974 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Holmer was a shell of his former self the last few seasons he played.  Guys get old, they retire, they move on.  Fans should too.

There's nothing with missing a player and what he brought to the team (when he wasn't a shell of his former self). With your attitude, we might as well not celebrate hockey's past at all.

And the truth is that this team is indeed "missing" the Homer component and would greatly benefit from some form of worthy replacement.

Edited by Dabura, 25 October 2013 - 09:20 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#9 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

As time goes on it is becoming more and more apparent just how unique Homer was. There really has never been any player in hockey quite like him. Other guys have tried to screen the goalie and occasionally get slashed for it, but Homer did it night after night for something like 16 years, without ever letting the punishment -- or the risk of being beaned by a high slapper -- deter him in the least. He is one of my all-time favourite players because he was truly one of a kind.

#10 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

No one else does this:

20100307172924_tdndc5-5tgr78s4jn81felgqk

Notice the skates.  Out of the crease.

Edited by 55fan, 25 October 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#11 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Homer ALWAYS knew where the goalie was without even having to look. I miss his swenglish as well

#12 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

We also miss Lang, Maltby and Draper.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#13 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

Someone should plot goals waived off/game before and after Homer retired.

#14 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

At this point in time, a cardboard cutout of Holmer could contribute just as much of what we're seeing.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#15 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

No one else does this:

20100307172924_tdndc5-5tgr78s4jn81felgqk

Notice the skates.  Out of the crease.

:lol:

Definitely warrants a nose blow during the next time out. I want to boot just thinking about it.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#16 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

At this point in time, a cardboard cutout of Holmer could contribute just as much of what we're seeing.

I think you are being way to generous to what we are seeing.

#17 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

We also miss Lang, Maltby and Draper.

There's nothing with missing a player and what he brought to the team (when he wasn't a shell of his former self). With your attitude, we might as well not celebrate hockey's past at all.

And the truth is that this team is indeed "missing" the Homer component and would greatly benefit from some form of worthy replacement.

And we miss Lidstrom, and we miss Yzerman, and we miss Fedorov, and we miss Hasek, and we miss Konstantinov.  Not to mention the scores of other unique and talented players who have worn the Winged Wheel. 

#18 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

It's not about moving on, it's about what this team is missing and that type of player...HOMER!

#19 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

And we're missing the best defenseman of a generation like Lidstrom, and we're missing a power forward like Shanahan, and we're missing a big tough defenseman like Konstantinov, and we're missing a point man on the PP like Rafalski and we're missing PK's like Draper and Maltby, and we're missing a sniper like Hull and we're missing a tough guy with offensive skills like McCarty and we miss the playmaking skills of Larionov and on and on and on.  With the possible exception of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, who from the past wouldn't you rather have than anyone on the current team? 

• Nev likes this

#20 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Patric Hornqvist has potential to be somewhat of a Homer-like player, if we ever made trades he might be someone to try and pry away from Nashville.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg