• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Wings Addict

The most annoying things about being at games?

Rate this topic

King Crane, thank you for backing me up on the veterans thing. If they want to do something nice for them, why not play the song that is associated with that branch of the military. Each branch has their own song. I'd much rather hear "Anchors Aweigh" or the Marine Corps song than I would some stupid, sappy, phony piece of crap.

Oh boy. So, I'm a first time season ticket holder who basically moved to MI for a great job and the Wings. I'm thrilled that I get to see most of the games and experience how much fun the Joe can be in person. But after two months these are my biggest complaints:

1) "f*** you, Howard." That was screamed by the large man who rented the seats behind me. I know he rented them because the season ticket holders never show up, which means I get to put up with a very entertaining group of drunks most nights. This man pretty much pummeled his knees into my back for the night, was upset that I wouldn't lean over to the row in front of me and steal him some extra purple towels (the "gift" for breast cancer awareness), and called me a ***** for looking at his wife, who leaned over the seat next to me, pretty much had her ass sticking up in my face and reached under the seat to get the towel that slipped into the crevice. And all this was during the warm up while they were stone cold sober.

2) Seat Poachers. My friend and co ticket holder is overseas for work. Nobody wants a single ticket as a freebie (they want both seats, go figure) so I had an empty seat next to me. But before the game started, this guy slides in and informs me that his friend is in the seat on the other side of my friend's seat and his ticket is way up at top, so he'll move when my friend shows up. Now I have a huge guy behind me, a sloth/stoner poacher next to me and another huge guy to the other side. It would have been nice to tell the guy to move because I technically have both seats, I possess two tickets and I want a space to put my coat. But I didn't know what the etiquette for such circumstances was and I hate being intolerant to a hockey fan, so I sat smushed.

3) "Who designed these seats, an anorexic model?" followed by "the AA center has cup holders and Wifi" (and the fact that you can't see the ice from 80% of seats is negated by cup holders?). I'm not a skinny person. But when I say that I mean that I'm a size 10 who wishes I was a size 8. It's interesting to listen to the people behind me (the towel stealers) complain about the seat sizes when they are huge people, who probably purchased close to 100 dollars in food. At the Joe. I'm all for having a good time but after eating dinner at the Joe for 4 preseason games in six days, I learned the value of not spending 5.50 for a chili dog. And I'm sure my cholesterol levels appreciate that awareness. The man patiently explained to the woman that the seat sizes were why we were getting a new stadium because the Joe was built in the 1970s when people weren't so fat. I'm not sure the new stadium has enough rows for the seat sizes some of these people need. It also doesn't help when people bring a ton of crap to the Joe. Huge purses, giant coats... I can't complain about the AA comment too much because my co ticket holder is from Dallas and that's enough punishment for any hockey fan.

4) Some of the elitism of season ticket holders. After showing up for three preseason games, the person next to me asked if I was a season ticket holder. I confirmed that and I was excited about the season. She looked confused and asked me why I had printed out tickets and not the real ones. I guess because I normally can't find my keys (or my pretty tickets) but I always have the ability to print off a ticket in a few seconds. She said that people would think I was a "renter" because I had paper tickets. It's like the high school lunch room hierarchy all over again. Except that who really cares? I've always traveled to see the Wings play and I've usually "rented" tickets from someone. Doesn't mean I was a bad fan, just one that didn't/couldn't have season tickets.

5) And the worst thing about going to a game, for me, is watching Dats and Z skate off the line while the national anthem is being sung. It's disrespectful and something I never saw on the broadcast at home. And seeing the young skater do the same thing, following Pavel's lead just makes me sad. Let's teach everyone that it's cool to skate while someone is singing the anthem. Maybe Karen could speed it up a bit, because they are so anxious to start skating before the game and we can't get them to skate DURING the game.

So those are my complaints. But I'm still thrilled to be at games. I just wished people used some common sense.

3. Remember the Joe was built in the 70s everyone was a lot smaller and skinner. Also, the upper bowl seats are wider. Seems like it any way.

5. It could be a superstiton. (sp) And the fact that Chicago cheers throughout the whole thing makes this seem moot.

Sitting next to people that have and answer for everything and comments about everything. And thinks they know how to fix the team and which moves would make this team better. Never positive about the team he is suppose to be cheering for and never just sits there and enjoys the game. Kind of like some on here. hahahah No Offense to anyone btw =)

Oh and people that stand up the whole game.....come on sit the freak down........oh and the guy with the AC/DC shirt on drunk off of his butt that somehow got glass seats and bangs on the glass the whole game trying to pick fights with the players. Come on I know we have all seen that type before. hahaha

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

1. People that yell shooooot every time a player has the puck even if it's the goalie! Yes, that happened I thought like what are all the soccer fans doing n here?

2. Phonoholics I'm not talking about what's app no, visitors that which for whatever reason aren't going out to tell no, they sit there and answer calls AND then complain about understanding nothing!

3. Annoying public announcers telling others what to do and when I'm not a monkey when I want to cheer I will otherwise not...don't need a pa for that

4. traffic it's amazing these guys and gals can built marvelous arenas but aren't able to provide a first class parking lot

Welll I'm really looking forward to my first ever Wings game after these posts LOL . Nah nothing will bring the excitement out of it for me. Maybe if I was a season ticket holder but for one game ill stick it out!

Going to the Joe is a great experience. They only complaints I would have and this would be at any arena is the drunks that can't even stand and the idiots that have to get up during play.

I prefer to watch games from home but my dad bought a full season package when the Wings were moved to the Eastern Conference so now we have to go all the time. I don't mind it as much, but my wife doesn't like going. She's pregnant, which makes the seats extra hard to deal with. The only real issues we have are those folks, mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that get up and down constantly throughout the game. There are some people, two rows in front of us, who sit patiently throughout the entire intermission and as soon as play starts, they get up. Man, is food and beer THAT important? To save on costs, we never eat at the stadium. And when one beer costs as much as parking, we don't bother with that either.

My biggest problem at games and other events are the a$$holes who are unaware how damn loud their whistling is? Who the heck doesn't know people don't want their ears pierced with their rediculously loud & constant whistling? What good does that do? Do you think the team really plays better when someone up in the rafters is whistling? It's hard to "enjoy the game" when you are going deaf.

Last year there the two seats in front of us were taking up by incredibly large people. How large? Well, one guy had a ziplock bag of bacon in his coat pocket. They would always violently throw their heads back at close shots, etc. then give us dirty looks when they broke our knees with their skulls.

wait wait wait wait wait

A ziplock bag full of bacon in his coat pocket?

I would have been surprised to see someone post about the "elitism" of some season tickets holder before this season up until I basically had the same experience. After years of going to maybe 1 or 2 games a year me and the wife decided we were fine enough financially to pull the trigger on a half season package for two seats. Well on the way down to the home opener we realized the tickets were left at home. No problem I say we can just stop at my parents house and print out new ones since we get this handy dandy online setup for being season ticket holders. So we do and print out new tickets instead of driving back an hour out of the way. So were at the game and at one point my wife mentions when we get full season tickets we should see about getting those seats and points to a section. Our goal is in the next couple years to move up to full season. Well the lady in front of us overhears and starts a conversation with my wife. She must have misheard at first as when my wife mentioned we are working on getting full season tickets at some point the lady was like "Oh well your not a real season ticket holder then. If you do become a real one you cant be bringing those printout tickets as it makes everyone think you bought it on ebay" and points to the printouts hanging out of my pocket. We both were completely shocked. Then the wife completely zinged her by turning to me and saying "Well I know which section we will be avoiding"

All stadiums are going to have drunkards and people who aren't there with the same passion for the game as most of us. Its also true that its almost just as good sitting at home watching on my couch, on my big tv, with my buddies Ken and Mick....almost. There is still something about being at the game live that is a little better than a big tv at home.

Maybe it was an octo that he decided it was to much energy to run down and toss over?

I'm on the other side of the equation with regards to the seats. I'm tall, but not like man-tall. I'm also reallyreallyreally heavy.

I can fit in the seats and I've taught myself to sit small. Basically keep the knees and elbows together so I'm not taking any space from the person next to me.

You still get the looks. I always want to look at the skinny people and say, "Hey. I paid good money for this seat, and dagnabbit, I'm going to use every square inch."

Fortunately, I've only been to games in Minnesota where the people are nice and friendly and corn-fed, just like me.

What's the deal with season ticket holders obssessing over the printed tickets? Who cares? Is there some benefit to having the "real" tickets? Like, do they get you into a VIP lounge with boomers or something?

Edit: Meant to say "hookers" but my phone autocorrected. Oddly, "boomers" sounds fitting, too.

I'm on the other side of the equation with regards to the seats. I'm tall, but not like man-tall. I'm also reallyreallyreally heavy.

I can fit in the seats and I've taught myself to sit small. Basically keep the knees and elbows together so I'm not taking any space from the person next to me.

You still get the looks. I always want to look at the skinny people and say, "Hey. I paid good money for this seat, and dagnabbit, I'm going to use every square inch."

Fortunately, I've only been to games in Minnesota where the people are nice and friendly and corn-fed, just like me.

Yeah I'm a Tenn farm raised, meat and tater eat'n Hillbilly and I also get the "why are you here you are too big to be watching hockey" looks all the time. It's not my fault they make the seats for a 150 lb tween girl. =)

The only thing worse than everything pointed out here, is going to see the Wings play in Chicago.

Haha, nah it wasn't that bad, but I didn't wear my jersey either... I suck.

I live in Columbus and have family in Toledo so I have a chance to go to many CBJ games and a few DRW games a year. I don't know about you guys, but when I end up going to games its because I wanted to go and made a decision to go. I love hockey so I always enjoy myself and don't really care if the guy next to me is doing a crossword puzzle or some vapid businessman not there for hockey, I am going to have a good time because there is hockey being played. Hockey games aren't the only place I have ever been where people lack self-awarness, I don't know about you guys.

Shame on people for being so bitter about little things, and if I had good seats and an empty seat and someone wanted my extra I would most certainly give it up and not worry if my coat has a good seat. I can see getting upset if you have children and people around you are being belligerent but even than, you know you're going to a place where they serve alcohol. ENJOY THE GAME PEOPLE!!

Boooooooooo!!!

The most annoying thing about going to a hockey game? Drunks. I get that people will have a beer or two during the game, and those aren't the people I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking about the people who get absolutely wasted, then spend the entirety of the game screaming in the side of your head, flailing around like lunatics, and generally acting like assholes. I've gone to several Hurricanes games with my sister and her boyfriend, and I'd say 2/3 of the time, all three of us had to deal with drunken fans causing us to not enjoy the game to the level that we otherwise would have.

Look, if you can't go to a sporting event without getting completely sh*tfaced, stay home, watch the game on TV or your computer. Save the money and the rest of us the indignity of having to listen to you (and smell you).

People who swear loudly and frequently.

I'm not talking about people who happen to use swear word, especially if the situation calls for a cry or dejection or elation.

I'm talking about the moron who stands up and very loudly yells things at the players and/or officials even when nothing is going on.

I was at a game where every time Cheli skated by during warmups, some idiot would yell, "Hey, Cheli, why doncha retire, ya f***in' *****?" or something in that vein.

Cheli got the last laugh. At first he ignored it and just skated by, but eventually he and someone else (Cleary, IIRC) looked at the guy, Cheli said something to Cleary, they both looked at the guy again and both started laughing. It was pretty obvious they were making fun of him. The guy got mad and went on a real rant and they just stood and laughed at him. Pretty soon everyone in the area was laughing at the guy.

People are going to use any number of words on a bad call or something, and that's part of the game. It's when they use the "megaphone" voice on a profanity-laced stream of blah-blah-blah that I get annoyed. Please, people- I'm with my MOTHER!

Totally agree - especially with the rise of HD TV.

I'm 6'4, with a bad back (thank you, hockey). Sounds like the seats alone would ruin it for me.

6'5 here, maybe 225 if its after the candy/food rich holidays and I HATE airline, and stadium seating as my legs kill when all is said and done.

I also detest drunks who purposely spill every imaginable thing on my 5'4 petite wife because she has the audacity to cheer for the team to the East that rhymes with Mittsburgh which she adopted because it was her deceased grandpa's team. Aside from her being a bit misguided she did nothing to deserve a beer and hot dog with all the fixings shower. Add to that we are from Central Ohio and drive to and from the games on game night and god forbid if we are pulled over as the car because of her being doused with beer reeked of alcohol.

Ah, see I'm the super-thin type of tall. So I can't really relate there.

Actually, what am I saying, I friggin' HATE airline seating! Unless it's one of those awesome first class dealies. (Funny parallel there: printed airline tickets and First Class Elitism. Funny stuff.)

I'd never thought of that, the whole being pulled-over-on-the-road-after-having-been-dumped-on angle. I guess that's why those breath tests are nice.

So basically what we've learned in this thread is that people can really suck.

My only gripe about the Joe is people arriving late and leaving early.

I was at a game where every time Cheli skated by during warmups, some idiot would yell, "Hey, Cheli, why doncha retire, ya f***in' *****?" or something in that vein.

Chris-Chelios.jpg

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Being from Philly, I think we've cornered the market on drunk, obnoxious fans so my experience at the Joe was child's play in comparison. However, one thing I could not understand was the amount of people who stand up to go to the concession stand or bathroom WHILE play was going on. It seemed to me that no one waited for a stopage in play to roam around. I could only imagine what would happen if people did this in Philly.

It's because there's only 3 bathrooms, so you have to get in line early. ;)

wait wait wait wait wait

I'm not obese by any means, but that is actually pretty awesome (but then, my love of bacon has become almost legendary with my students - for our post winter concert party, they started bringing in a chocolate fountain and dipping precooked bacon in it (they came up with it on their own) as well as always giving me bacon as a gag gift)). I'd actually consider doing that to save money, though when I go to a game I usually go with friends or my wife and have a nice meal at a nice restaurant before the game. Edited by TheXym