Photo
- - - - -

The most annoying things about being at games?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

I live in Columbus and have family in Toledo so I have a chance to go to many CBJ games and a few DRW games a year. I don't know about you guys, but when I end up going to games its because I wanted to go and made a decision to go. I love hockey so I always enjoy myself and don't really care if the guy next to me is doing a crossword puzzle or some vapid businessman not there for hockey, I am going to have a good time because there is hockey being played. Hockey games aren't the only place I have ever been where people lack self-awarness, I don't know about you guys.

Shame on people for being so bitter about little things, and if I had good seats and an empty seat and someone wanted my extra I would most certainly give it up and not worry if my coat has a good seat. I can see getting upset if you have children and people around you are being belligerent but even than, you know you're going to a place where they serve alcohol. ENJOY THE GAME PEOPLE!!

Boooooooooo!!!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#42 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

The most annoying thing about going to a hockey game?  Drunks.  I get that people will have a beer or two during the game, and those aren't the people I'm talking about anyway.  I'm talking about the people who get absolutely wasted, then spend the entirety of the game screaming in the side of your head, flailing around like lunatics, and generally acting like assholes.  I've gone to several Hurricanes games with my sister and her boyfriend, and I'd say 2/3 of the time, all three of us had to deal with drunken fans causing us to not enjoy the game to the level that we otherwise would have. 

Look, if you can't go to a sporting event without getting completely sh*tfaced, stay home, watch the game on TV or your computer.  Save the money and the rest of us the indignity of having to listen to you (and smell you).

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#43 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

People who swear loudly and frequently.

I'm not talking about people who happen to use swear word, especially if the situation calls for a cry or dejection or elation.

I'm talking about the moron who stands up and very loudly yells things at the players and/or officials even when nothing is going on.

I was at a game where every time Cheli skated by during warmups, some idiot would yell, "Hey, Cheli, why doncha retire, ya f***in' *****?" or something in that vein. 

Cheli got the last laugh.  At first he ignored it and just skated by, but eventually he and someone else (Cleary, IIRC) looked at the guy, Cheli said something to Cleary, they both looked at the guy again and both started laughing.  It was pretty obvious they were making fun of him.  The guy got mad and went on a real rant and they just stood and laughed at him.  Pretty soon everyone in the area was laughing at the guy.

People are going to use any number of words on a bad call or something, and that's part of the game.  It's when they use the "megaphone" voice on a profanity-laced stream of blah-blah-blah that I get annoyed.  Please, people- I'm with my MOTHER!

#44 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Totally agree - especially with the rise of HD TV.

I'm 6'4, with a bad back (thank you, hockey). Sounds like the seats alone would ruin it for me.

6'5 here, maybe 225 if its after the candy/food rich holidays and I HATE airline, and stadium seating as my legs kill when all is said and done.

I also detest drunks who purposely spill every imaginable thing on my 5'4 petite wife because she has the audacity to cheer for the team to the East that rhymes with Mittsburgh which she adopted because it was her deceased grandpa's team. Aside from her being a bit misguided she did nothing to deserve a beer and hot dog with all the fixings shower. Add to that we are from Central Ohio and drive to and from the games on game night and god forbid if we are pulled over as the car because of her being doused with beer reeked of alcohol. 

#45 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Ah, see I'm the super-thin type of tall. So I can't really relate there.

Actually, what am I saying, I friggin' HATE airline seating! Unless it's one of those awesome first class dealies. (Funny parallel there: printed airline tickets and First Class Elitism. Funny stuff.)

I'd never thought of that, the whole being pulled-over-on-the-road-after-having-been-dumped-on angle. I guess that's why those breath tests are nice.

So basically what we've learned in this thread is that people can really suck.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#46 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

My only gripe about the Joe is people arriving late and leaving early. 

I was at a game where every time Cheli skated by during warmups, some idiot would yell, "Hey, Cheli, why doncha retire, ya f***in' *****?" or something in that vein.

Chris-Chelios.jpg

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 30 October 2013 - 12:32 AM.

• Nev likes this

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#47 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

people_bastards_it_crowd.gif

#48 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

Being from Philly, I think we've cornered the market on drunk, obnoxious fans so my experience at the Joe was child's play in comparison. However, one thing I could not understand was the amount of people who stand up to go to the concession stand or bathroom WHILE play was going on. It seemed to me that no one waited for a stopage in play to roam around. I could only imagine what would happen if people did this in Philly.

It's because there's only 3 bathrooms, so you have to get in line early. ;)

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#49 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

wait wait wait wait wait

A ziplock bag full of bacon in his coat pocket?

I'm not obese by any means, but that is actually pretty awesome (but then, my love of bacon has become almost legendary with my students - for our post winter concert party, they started bringing in a chocolate fountain and dipping precooked bacon in it (they came up with it on their own) as well as always giving me bacon as a gag gift)). I'd actually consider doing that to save money, though when I go to a game I usually go with friends or my wife and have a nice meal at a nice restaurant before the game.

Edited by TheXym, 01 November 2013 - 03:12 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#50 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

wait wait wait wait wait

A ziplock bag full of bacon in his coat pocket?

I know, genius right! I can't believe I never thought of it :)

#51 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

I live in Columbus and have family in Toledo so I have a chance to go to many CBJ games and a few DRW games a year. I don't know about you guys, but when I end up going to games its because I wanted to go and made a decision to go. I love hockey so I always enjoy myself and don't really care if the guy next to me is doing a crossword puzzle or some vapid businessman not there for hockey, I am going to have a good time because there is hockey being played. Hockey games aren't the only place I have ever been where people lack self-awarness, I don't know about you guys.

Shame on people for being so bitter about little things, and if I had good seats and an empty seat and someone wanted my extra I would most certainly give it up and not worry if my coat has a good seat. I can see getting upset if you have children and people around you are being belligerent but even than, you know you're going to a place where they serve alcohol. ENJOY THE GAME PEOPLE!!

With all due respect, its because of people like you that s*** doesn't change.  Aw, golly gee Beav, we should just be happy we're at a hockey game!  At the time I cancelled my season tickets, I was shelling out over 10k a year.  For that, yes, I expect to be treated with some respect and get decent service. 

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

With all due respect, its because of people like you that s*** doesn't change.  Aw, golly gee Beav, we should just be happy we're at a hockey game!  At the time I cancelled my season tickets, I was shelling out over 10k a year.  For that, yes, I expect to be treated with some respect and get decent service. 

So because I can't afford to be paying 10k a year I should be treated with less respect than you? And Ya stuff annoys me at wings games, but I'm for damn sure not going to let ignorant people stop me from enjoying the game, whether I'm upper bowl or lower bowl I go to watch and enjoy the game, if people make asses out of themselves I could care less, I still get to watch hockey.

#53 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

If the worst part of going to a hockey game, is the people around you, then maybe it's YOU who shouldn't be attending games.The extreme lack of compassion for the uneducated mass of people is just about as bad as the fact that the mass of people are in a prescription pill alcohol induced zombie uneducated coma. You have a few options, become the President and reform education and healthcare so that everyone growing up isn't a complete zombie brain, watch the game from home, or get a damn suite. 

Edited by CMatt89, 01 November 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#54 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

So because I can't afford to be paying 10k a year I should be treated with less respect than you? And Ya stuff annoys me at wings games, but I'm for damn sure not going to let ignorant people stop me from enjoying the game, whether I'm upper bowl or lower bowl I go to watch and enjoy the game, if people make asses out of themselves I could care less, I still get to watch hockey.

I didn't say that.  I think ALL ticket holders should be treated like gold.  For too many years, the Wings ownership took the fan base for granted.  There were huge wait lists for season tickets and people would do anything to go to a game.  They didn't care if fans had to wait an hour to go to the bathroom or couldn't move in the concourse or that their handicapped fans weren't accommodated.  They can't do much about other obnoxious fans (although treating the arena staff like human beings might go a long way to help that), they could have invested much more to make the atmosphere more pleasant and actually make it seem like they appreciate the fans investing their time and money.  In a few years, it'll be like the Palace and they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

#55 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

If the worst part of going to a hockey game, is the people around you, then maybe it's YOU who shouldn't be attending games.The extreme lack of compassion for the uneducated mass of people is just about as bad as the fact that the mass of people are in a prescription pill alcohol induced zombie uneducated coma. You have a few options, become the President and reform education and healthcare so that everyone growing up isn't a complete zombie brain, watch the game from home, or get a damn suite. 

lol wat?

#56 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

The worst part about a Red Wings game is when the seller you bought your tickets from manages to sell the seats on both stubhub and ticketexchange so you spend the first period in the box office trying to sort it out.
That's what happened to my friends and I tonight. Obviously, that's not a regular occurrence but, I don't get to Wings games often and, I've never had a bad experience otherwise so it's the best I got.
Also, seeing Brendan Smith "play" defense was a pretty significant bummer.

How was this issue resolved? How much time was there between the purchase? I'm interested in the contractual implications; I want to bring this up to my professor. I'm pretty sure the seller was bound to sell to you and the other buyer.

Edited by The Greek, 01 November 2013 - 07:44 PM.