• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Vanek Traded To Islanders

Rate this topic

There are many things we don't know. for example, maybe moulson told the isles he wasn't going to resign. if that is the case, then moving him makes sense. at the same time, maybe the isles have already talked to vanek and he is willing to resign. if either or both are true, this is a great trade for the isles.

The Islanders had a good shot at re-signing Moulson before this. They have about zero chance of resigning Vanek. Both score about the same number of goals, though Vanek does have the better play making skills. So basically the Islanders traded a first and second and any shot they had at re-signing a thirty goal scorer, for another 30 goal scorer who's likely to walk at season's end.

Islanders got fleeced.

Edit: Also, why the hell is Darcy Regier still allowed to make decisions of this magnitude at the NHL level?

Edited by kipwinger

It seems like the Isles just made a move for the sake of making a move, and maybe saying to their fans and season ticket holders, "Hey, we're serious." Except, they're not. Not until they get an upgrade in net and a top defenseman. I'm not saying adding Vanek is a bad thing, but Moulson (who can put the puck in the net) and a first and a second...and you still have Nabokov in net and a paper-thin blue line? To me, that's kind of a head-scratcher. I know they have Hamonic and they'll be getting Visnovsky back, but, actually, that's sort of my point. Add a great defenseman or goalie to that and you've got a very respectable back-end.

From Buffalo's perspective...I dunno, if I'm a Sabres fan I think I'm pretty meh about this. It's nice having picks, and Moulson should help a little, but I get the sense fans were expecting a much bigger return for the "here and now" (i.e. better than Moulson). Vanek is far, far, far and away, away, away their best forward. Kinda puts a damper on any further trade speculation not centering on Ryan Miller.

Interesting piece of Information :

I think its a good trade for the Sabres. It fits perfect into their strategy.

They'll likely get at least one more in a package for Miller as well.. hope their scouts are ready for their sake

If Miller goes to Pittsburgh, I think they become Cup favorites. This trade must be motivated by something behind the scenes. Not a massive upgrade and a big gamble for Islanders. Did Vanek want out of Buffalo?

They'll likely get at least one more in a package for Miller as well.. hope their scouts are ready for their sake

No kidding. With 17 first- and second-round picks in four years, there is no excuse for them not being a dynasty within ten years.

Really still not understanding this move by Isle. Marginal upgrade for what seems like a big price. Moulson not on Fil level yet of unproduction. I really like the Islanders. Sabres seem to be going for the fire sale. Waiting for more information.

Interesting. Both players are UFA's. Throwing in the 14' 1st and 15' 2nd is the risk. If the isles resign him it is a major upgrade. Moulson is a good 30 goal per year guy, but vanek is a 40+ goal per year guy.

This trade is very similar to our deal to get Shanny many years ago. primeau was a good 30 guy guy but Shanny was a 40+ goal guy and a leader.

Quite a bit different than the Shanny deal. At that time, Shanny was averaging 37 goals and 78p points over 82 games, while Primeau was averaging 22 goals and 52 points. In this deal, Vanek has averaged 35 goals and 68 points, while Moulson has averaged 32 goals and 60 points.

Not a significant difference between Vanek and Moulson and Buffalo was able to pull a 1st and 2nd round draft pick to go on top of that. They both are UFAs at the end of the year and if you ask me, both are unlikley to stay where they are. With Moulson, if he produces this year, he could fetch at least another 1st rounder at the trade deadline or more.

The real question is whether Moulson's stats are boosted by playing with Tavares, or can he produce on his own.

I'm just surprised that Snow would pick Moulson of all people to deal, and that Regier wanted him. Legitimate chemistry with an elite scorer isn't exactly the most common thing in the world. How many players have played insanely well alongside a particular individual and otherwise had unremarkable careers? Cheechoo comes to mind. Just seems risky to me. Matt Moulson is a good hockey player, but his 30-goal days may be at an end without Tavares at center.

Anson Carter one great year with the Sedins. Moved on to nowhere.

Guest Crymson

Moulson will almost certainly be flipped for more picks, so this isn't a bad trade at all.

Moulson will almost certainly be flipped for more picks, so this isn't a bad trade at all.

Interesting theory. I guess the counter to that is that both teams already had a guy (Vanek or Moulson) that could have been flipped at the deadline, as I really don't think either team is going to the Playoffs. NYI is hanging in there now, but to finish top 3 in the Metropolitan division is going to pretty tough with that squad.

BUF absolutely fleeced them. Look at it this way: Could BUF had gotten a 1st, or possibly even a 1st and a 2nd just as a rental player in January? Almost certainly yes. So how does it make sense that they sold off Vanek as an early rental (which increased the return in picks), AND were able to get a replacement player for Vanek who is also a 30-goal scoring winger for the remainder of the season.

Crap, if that's how rentals work, EVERYONE would do rental trades. It's probably most likely that both of these guys test the market, especially Vanek, who everyone in Minnesota assumes is coming here next year (here we go again...). But Tavares and Moulson were really good together - I just don't understand what the end game is here for the Islanders. The Sabres have Ryan Miller in net, and Thomas Vanek couldn't help them be competitive on his own. If the Islanders and a 2nd "stud" youngster to go with Tavares, maybe they could be trading picks. But you don't ship out your 2nd best player along with the picks for a rental.

I just don't understand what the end game is here for the Islanders.

Tho I agree buffalo fleeced him, I think snow is going to try to keep vanek personally.. maybe he knew Moulson had his heart set on leaving the isles. And it's not completely farfetched to think they can hold on to vanek. Visnovski and nabakov didn't want to be there but he's managed to keep them. (For now)

#11 Signing here was a mistake. Big mistake! Seems like it.

Why? The guy is 3rd on the team in points.....only 2 points behind both Pavel and Hank. You don't think this guy is going to start firing on all cylinders if Babcock ever settles on a somewhat stable line up so these guys can gather some continuity with their linemates? Given his past playoff performances against the supposed 'Big Bad East', I like the signing.

Wow surprised everyone likes this for NYI. I think Buffalo won here, and NYI got hosed.

Moulson plays real good hockey, and is almost a point per game player. And they got a first and second. IMO Moulson and a 2nd (or maybe just a first) would have been fair.

EDIT: first and Moulson that is

Not to mention if they don't get Moulson to re-sign with them near the trade deadline they can trade him for a first for sure, giving them two 1st and a 2nd all for trading Vanek who was never going to re-sign with them anyway.

Regier got smoked, as usual. Moulson is a UFA in the summertime, and he probably won't want to stay on such a terrible team. If last season's performance is any indication, NYI's 1st will not be very high.

lol That's one hell of a flip-flop. From "getting smoked" to "this isn't a bad trade at all" for the Sabres. What changed your mind?

Guest Crymson

True we have no cap room today, but what about last summer? before we pissed away 5.5 million of Alfie, 5 million on Weiss, and didn't use our second buyout on say Franzen? that is 15 million right there! Not to mention the 1.75 million on cleary. we could have traded for both Ryan and vanek and had to good scoring lines! but no......

If only Holland could go back in time and not sign those players so that he could try to spin a trade within the division while Regier was still asking for much more and it was unknown that the Sabres would be so horrible. And then he could give up even more assets for Ryan, with the risk of losing both he and Vanek within the space of two offseasons.

It doesn't work that way.

lol That's one hell of a flip-flop. From "getting smoked" to "this isn't a bad trade at all" for the Sabres. What changed your mind?

My cousin, who is a diehard Sabres fan, gave me another perspective on the matter.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/10/28/5037684/buffalo-sabres-new-york-islanders-thomas-vanek-trade-matt-moulson

The Vanek trade alone doesn't push the Islanders into the esteemed company of the Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins or Detroit Red Wings, all of which should have extended playoff runs.

That made me kinda happy.

To me...Buffalo is the winner. But they're an incredibly terrible team going into a full-on rebuild. So "winner" should sport an asterisk.

I like the move for the Isles, but I'll like it a whole lot more if it's just the first of several big moves. If they snag an upgrade in net and a top-four defenseman, they're serious contenders.

A thought: maybe Snow is secretly hoping Vanek has a great time and tells his old buddy Ryan Miller all about it.