• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

Vanek Traded To Islanders

Rate this topic

To me...Buffalo is the winner. But they're an incredibly terrible team going into a full-on rebuild. So "winner" should sport an asterisk.

I like the move for the Isles, but I'll like it a whole lot more if it's just the first of several big moves. If they snag an upgrade in net and a top-four defenseman, they're serious contenders.

A thought: maybe Snow is secretly hoping Vanek has a great time and tells his old buddy Ryan Miller all about it.

Wang wouldn't go for it. As long as the Isles are just above the cap, they won't make a move.

Wang wouldn't go for it. As long as the Isles are just above the cap, they won't make a move.

Ah, thanks for the insight. I don't know much about their cap situation and such.

What you're saying being true, I guess I have to scratch my head a bit at this. I know they want to make a loud, sexy statement, but they could do that with a goalie or defenseman, both of which they need more than a goal scorer, IMHO. Defense wins championships.

Things that have surfaced regarding the trade; from TSN, Canada's Sports Leader:

As reported on Tuesday by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Vanek's former team the Sabres will retain approximately $1.4 million - or roughly 20 per cent - of what's left of the $6.4 million he is still owed in the final year of his contract.
TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun added Tuesday that if the 2014 first-round draft pick acquired by Buffalo in the deal ends up being a Top 10 selection in June, the Islanders would have the option to defer the pick to the 2015 draft.

Another wrinkle in trade news from the weekend came up on Tuesday as TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported that Vanek was offered to the Toronto Maple Leafs three-to-four days ago, but there was no deal to be made.

According to Dreger, the return that general manager Darcy Regier received from the Islanders for Vanek was something that the Maple Leafs - or other clubs - weren't willing to pay.

Things that have surfaced regarding the trade; from TSN, Canada's Sports Leader:

Saw this earlier and I'm surprised the Leafs were the first to be offered Vanek if true. But the reality is the Leafs don't/didn't need him. Especially at the asking price. Islanders gave up a lot. Now will Vanek resign? Highly doubt it.

Saw this earlier and I'm surprised the Leafs were the first to be offered Vanek if true. But the reality is the Leafs don't/didn't need him. Especially at the asking price. Islanders gave up a lot. Now will Vanek resign? Highly doubt it.

The Mapleleafs need a number one center badly, Vanek Thomas.doesn't fill that need at all, especially not for that asking price. I also read somewhere that he doesn't want to play in Canada because of the scrutiny. Personally I think he is going to become a Wild or Penguin in the offseason.

As with Moulson doubt he wants go waste his prime years with the rebuilding Sabres, they are going full Liners style with it.

Edited by frankgrimes

Interesting that they offered him to the Leafs.

Personally I think he is going to become a Wild or Penguin in the offseason. As with Moulson doubt he wants go waste his prime years with the rebuilding Sabres

Agreed.

Edited by Dabura

I hadn't even thought about money before, but even with the Sabres retaining some of Vanek's salary, this deal looks even better for them then before I considered salary. Not only are they swaping one player for another of close to the same value, they are getting 2 draft picks and saving about $2-2.5 million in salary and cap hit this year.

There are many things we don't know. for example, maybe moulson told the isles he wasn't going to resign. if that is the case, then moving him makes sense. at the same time, maybe the isles have already talked to vanek and he is willing to resign. if either or both are true, this is a great trade for the isles.

To hear Tavares speak I doubt Moulson would have wanted to go anywhere. It sounds like they were fairly close given that Tavares is godfather to Moulson's kid.

I still think that Buffalo wins this deal by getting the picks, of course as someone who lives in Ohio I can say the Browns have had good picks and still suck so you gotta do the right thing with those picks and have a good farm/development system along with a little luck that someone doesnt have a catastrophic injury/accident a la Vladdy.

Sorry forgot the link http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=688958

Edited by legaleaglewingsfan