• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Moulson is underrated. This guy scores, period. Even if Moulson isn't as good for Buffalo, the trade isn't a huge steal for NYI anyway because Moulson was a legit 30-35 goal guy there. The upgrade isn't that big. Glad to see the Isles going for it but the need a couple more pieces to make them legit contenders.

#22 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Both Moulson and Vanek are UFA at the end of the season. Haven't seen this mentioned yet. Obviously a factor during this trade 

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Moulson is underrated. This guy scores, period. Even if Moulson isn't as good for Buffalo, the trade isn't a huge steal for NYI anyway because Moulson was a legit 30-35 goal guy there. The upgrade isn't that big. Glad to see the Isles going for it but the need a couple more pieces to make them legit contenders.

I think this trade has to be based on the fact, if (yes/no) Vanek re-signs there if he doesn't I guess they could try to move him at the tdl to a contender. Moulson does what he is supposed to do - score goals but there is no way he is going to re-sign with such an atrocious team. The Sabres might very well be the worst team in the NHL right now just wait till they are trading away Ryan Miller (going to end up in St. Louis or Pittsburgh..)

The Isles are still a top goaltender and a #1 defenseman away from being legit but it is start and I am happy for their franchise, the fans have suffered long enough.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#24 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

How does EVERY thread end up being about what Holland didn't do?!
Interesting trade. Next season will decide who got the better deal.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#25 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

From a risk/reward standpoint this is a slam dunk for Buffalo. 

Temporary replacement in Moulson plus a 1st and a 2nd for what....6 months of Vanek?

Regier might have just saved his job with this one.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#26 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

There are many things we don't know. for example, maybe moulson told the isles he wasn't going to resign. if that is the case, then moving him makes sense. at the same time, maybe the isles have already talked to vanek and he is willing to resign. if either or both are true, this is a great trade for the isles.

#27 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

The Islanders had a good shot at re-signing Moulson before this.  They have about zero chance of resigning Vanek.  Both score about the same number of goals, though Vanek does have the better play making skills.  So basically the Islanders traded a first and second and any shot they had at re-signing a thirty goal scorer, for another 30 goal scorer who's likely to walk at season's end. 

Islanders got fleeced.

Edit:  Also, why the hell is Darcy Regier still allowed to make decisions of this magnitude at the NHL level?

Edited by kipwinger, 27 October 2013 - 11:34 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#28 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

Interesting piece of Information :

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres now have 17 1st-round + 2nd-round picks over a 4-year span (2012-2015), most in franchise history.

I think its a good trade for the Sabres. It fits perfect into their strategy.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

It seems like the Isles just made a move for the sake of making a move, and maybe saying to their fans and season ticket holders, "Hey, we're serious." Except, they're not. Not until they get an upgrade in net and a top defenseman. I'm not saying adding Vanek is a bad thing, but Moulson (who can put the puck in the net) and a first and a second...and you still have Nabokov in net and a paper-thin blue line? To me, that's kind of a head-scratcher. I know they have Hamonic and they'll be getting Visnovsky back, but, actually, that's sort of my point. Add a great defenseman or goalie to that and you've got a very respectable back-end.

From Buffalo's perspective...I dunno, if I'm a Sabres fan I think I'm pretty meh about this. It's nice having picks, and Moulson should help a little, but I get the sense fans were expecting a much bigger return for the "here and now" (i.e. better than Moulson). Vanek is far, far, far and away, away, away their best forward. Kinda puts a damper on any further trade speculation not centering on Ryan Miller.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

Interesting piece of Information :

I think its a good trade for the Sabres. It fits perfect into their strategy.

They'll likely get at least one more in a package for Miller as well.. hope their scouts are ready for their sake

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#31 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

If Miller goes to Pittsburgh, I think they become Cup favorites. This trade must be motivated by something behind the scenes. Not a massive upgrade and a big gamble for Islanders. Did Vanek want out of Buffalo?

They'll likely get at least one more in a package for Miller as well.. hope their scouts are ready for their sake

No kidding. With 17 first- and second-round picks in four years, there is no excuse for them not being a dynasty within ten years.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#32 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Really still not understanding this move by Isle. Marginal upgrade for what seems like a big price. Moulson not on Fil level yet of unproduction. I really like the Islanders. Sabres seem to be going for the fire sale. Waiting for more information.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#33 redhasek2013

redhasek2013

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Who cares? About NYI? I don't. I want my Team Detroit Red Wings to make some Trades. #11 Signing here was a mistake. Big mistake! Seems like it. Same as #90. Are team needs to wake up and start believing in that Magic again!  

#34 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,456 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

My friend in Buffalo says, somewhere Ryan Miller is kicking the furniture, yelling, "Dammit!!"  :lol:   Not sure what Darcy was thinking there, but it could hardly worsen the Sabres' situation. 

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#35 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

If I'm vanek I'm not going to sign a new deal with the Brooklyn islanders, and if I'm moulson I'm not signing a new deal with the buffalo sabres

#36 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

Moulson will most likely test free agency after the season so its really trading for the picks and piece to make sure they survive this year. Still a good trade both ways IMO. 

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

If Miller goes to Pittsburgh, I think they become Cup favorites.

They're already in the top three, IMHO. Give them Miller and you might as well just give them the Cup along with him.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Interesting. Both players are UFA's. Throwing in the 14' 1st and 15' 2nd is the risk. If the isles resign him it is a major upgrade. Moulson is a good 30 goal per year guy, but vanek is a 40+ goal per year guy.

This trade is very similar to our deal to get Shanny many years ago. primeau was a good 30 guy guy but Shanny was a 40+ goal guy and a leader.

Quite a bit different than the Shanny deal.  At that time, Shanny was averaging 37 goals and 78p points over 82 games, while Primeau was averaging 22 goals and 52 points.  In this deal, Vanek has averaged 35 goals and 68 points, while Moulson has averaged 32 goals and 60 points.

Not a significant difference between Vanek and Moulson and Buffalo was able to pull a 1st and 2nd round draft pick to go on top of that.  They both are UFAs at the end of the year and if you ask me, both are unlikley to stay where they are.  With Moulson, if he produces this year, he could fetch at least another 1st rounder at the trade deadline or more.

The real question is whether Moulson's stats are boosted by playing with Tavares, or can he produce on his own.

#39 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm just surprised that Snow would pick Moulson of all people to deal, and that Regier wanted him. Legitimate chemistry with an elite scorer isn't exactly the most common thing in the world. How many players have played insanely well alongside a particular individual and otherwise had unremarkable careers? Cheechoo comes to mind.  Just seems risky to me. Matt Moulson is a good hockey player, but his 30-goal days may be at an end without Tavares at center.

Anson Carter one great year with the Sedins. Moved on to nowhere.

#40 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Moulson will almost certainly be flipped for more picks, so this isn't a bad trade at all.