• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Moulson will almost certainly be flipped for more picks, so this isn't a bad trade at all.

Interesting theory.  I guess the counter to that is that both teams already had a guy (Vanek or Moulson) that could have been flipped at the deadline, as I really don't think either team is going to the Playoffs.  NYI is hanging in there now, but to finish top 3 in the Metropolitan division is going to pretty tough with that squad.

BUF absolutely fleeced them.  Look at it this way: Could BUF had gotten a 1st, or possibly even a 1st and a 2nd just as a rental player in January?  Almost certainly yes.  So how does it make sense that they sold off Vanek as an early rental (which increased the return in picks), AND were able to get a replacement player for Vanek who is also a 30-goal scoring winger for the remainder of the season.  

Crap, if that's how rentals work, EVERYONE would do rental trades.  It's probably most likely that both of these guys test the market, especially Vanek, who everyone in Minnesota assumes is coming here next year (here we go again...).  But Tavares and Moulson were really good together - I just don't understand what the end game is here for the Islanders.  The Sabres have Ryan Miller in net, and Thomas Vanek couldn't help them be competitive on his own.  If the Islanders and a 2nd "stud" youngster to go with Tavares, maybe they could be trading picks.  But you don't ship out your 2nd best player along with the picks for a rental.

#42 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

I just don't understand what the end game is here for the Islanders.

Tho I agree buffalo fleeced him, I think snow is going to try to keep vanek personally.. maybe he knew Moulson had his heart set on leaving the isles. And it's not completely farfetched to think they can hold on to vanek. Visnovski and nabakov didn't want to be there but he's managed to keep them. (For now)

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#43 GoOzzieGo

GoOzzieGo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

#11 Signing here was a mistake. Big mistake! Seems like it. 

Why?  The guy is 3rd on the team in points.....only 2 points behind both Pavel and Hank.  You don't think this guy is going to start firing on all cylinders if Babcock ever settles on a somewhat stable line up so these guys can gather some continuity with their linemates?  Given his past playoff performances against the supposed 'Big Bad East', I like the signing.

#44 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Legitimate top 6 winger we have wanted for 3 years. I guess his salary wouldn't work for us

Nope.  Sammy, Cleary, Miller, Eaves and Tuzzi are WAY more important than someone who produces more than all of them put together…..and is a RH sniper.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#45 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Wow surprised everyone likes this for NYI. I think Buffalo won here, and NYI got hosed.

Moulson plays real good hockey, and is almost a point per game player. And they got a first and second. IMO Moulson and a 2nd (or maybe just a first) would have been fair.

EDIT: first and Moulson that is

Not to mention if they don't get Moulson to re-sign with them near the trade deadline they can trade him for a first for sure, giving them two 1st and a 2nd all for trading Vanek who was never going to re-sign with them anyway.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#46 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

Regier got smoked, as usual. Moulson is a UFA in the summertime, and he probably won't want to stay on such a terrible team. If last season's performance is any indication, NYI's 1st will not be very high.

Moulson will almost certainly be flipped for more picks, so this isn't a bad trade at all.

lol That's one hell of a flip-flop.  From "getting smoked" to "this isn't a bad trade at all" for the Sabres.  What changed your mind? 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#47 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Moulson with two goals tonight in his first game as a Sabre, looks like he can score without Tavares!

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

True we have no cap room today, but what about last summer? before we pissed away 5.5 million of Alfie, 5 million on Weiss, and didn't use our second buyout on say Franzen? that is 15 million right there! Not to mention the 1.75 million on cleary. we could have traded for both Ryan and vanek and had to good scoring lines! but no......

If only Holland could go back in time and not sign those players so that he could try to spin a trade within the division while Regier was still asking for much more and it was unknown that the Sabres would be so horrible. And then he could give up even more assets for Ryan, with the risk of losing both he and Vanek within the space of two offseasons.

It doesn't work that way.

lol That's one hell of a flip-flop.  From "getting smoked" to "this isn't a bad trade at all" for the Sabres.  What changed your mind? 

My cousin, who is a diehard Sabres fan, gave me another perspective on the matter.

#49 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

http://www.sbnation....de-matt-moulson

The Vanek trade alone doesn't push the Islanders into the esteemed company of the Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins or Detroit Red Wings, all of which should have extended playoff runs.

That made me kinda happy.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

To me...Buffalo is the winner. But they're an incredibly terrible team going into a full-on rebuild. So "winner" should sport an asterisk.

I like the move for the Isles, but I'll like it a whole lot more if it's just the first of several big moves. If they snag an upgrade in net and a top-four defenseman, they're serious contenders.

A thought: maybe Snow is secretly hoping Vanek has a great time and tells his old buddy Ryan Miller all about it.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

My cousin, who is a diehard Sabres fan, gave me another perspective on the matter.

Care to share that perspective?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#52 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

To me...Buffalo is the winner. But they're an incredibly terrible team going into a full-on rebuild. So "winner" should sport an asterisk.

I like the move for the Isles, but I'll like it a whole lot more if it's just the first of several big moves. If they snag an upgrade in net and a top-four defenseman, they're serious contenders.

A thought: maybe Snow is secretly hoping Vanek has a great time and tells his old buddy Ryan Miller all about it.

Wang wouldn't go for it. As long as the Isles are just above the cap, they won't make a move.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#53 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Anson Carter one great year with the Sedins. Moved on to nowhere.

Anson Carter's best years were in Edmonton.

#54 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Wang wouldn't go for it. As long as the Isles are just above the cap, they won't make a move.

Ah, thanks for the insight. I don't know much about their cap situation and such.

What you're saying being true, I guess I have to scratch my head a bit at this. I know they want to make a loud, sexy statement, but they could do that with a goalie or defenseman, both of which they need more than a goal scorer, IMHO. Defense wins championships.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#55 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Things that have surfaced regarding the trade; from TSN, Canada's Sports Leader:

As reported on Tuesday by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Vanek's former team the Sabres will retain approximately $1.4 million - or roughly 20 per cent - of what's left of the $6.4 million he is still owed in the final year of his contract.
TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun added Tuesday that if the 2014 first-round draft pick acquired by Buffalo in the deal ends up being a Top 10 selection in June, the Islanders would have the option to defer the pick to the 2015 draft. 

Another wrinkle in trade news from the weekend came up on Tuesday as TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported that Vanek was offered to the Toronto Maple Leafs three-to-four days ago, but there was no deal to be made.

According to Dreger, the return that general manager Darcy Regier received from the Islanders for Vanek was something that the Maple Leafs - or other clubs - weren't willing to pay.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#56 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Things that have surfaced regarding the trade; from TSN, Canada's Sports Leader:

Saw this earlier and I'm surprised the Leafs were the first to be offered Vanek if true. But the reality is the Leafs don't/didn't need him. Especially at the asking price. Islanders gave up a lot. Now will Vanek resign? Highly doubt it.

#57 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

Saw this earlier and I'm surprised the Leafs were the first to be offered Vanek if true. But the reality is the Leafs don't/didn't need him. Especially at the asking price. Islanders gave up a lot. Now will Vanek resign? Highly doubt it.

The Mapleleafs need a number one center badly, Vanek Thomas.doesn't fill that need at all, especially not for that asking price. I also read somewhere that he doesn't want to play in Canada because of the scrutiny. Personally I think he is going to become a Wild or Penguin in the offseason.

As with Moulson doubt he wants go waste his prime years with the rebuilding Sabres, they are going full Liners style with it.

Edited by frankgrimes, 29 October 2013 - 08:57 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#58 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

The Mapleleafs need a number one center badly

I really don't think that's the case anymore.  Rolling Bolland, Bozak and Kadri in the top 3 lines has yielded pretty good results.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#59 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Interesting that they offered him to the Leafs.

Personally I think he is going to become a Wild or Penguin in the offseason. As with Moulson doubt he wants go waste his prime years with the rebuilding Sabres

Agreed.

Edited by Dabura, 29 October 2013 - 09:43 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#60 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

I hadn't even thought about money before, but even with the Sabres retaining some of Vanek's salary, this deal looks even better for them then before I considered salary.  Not only are they swaping one player for another of close to the same value, they are getting 2 draft picks and saving about $2-2.5 million in salary and cap hit this year.