• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsAlways

Trial date set in Steve Moore’s lawsuit against Todd Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/trial-date-set-in-steve-moores-lawsuit-against-todd-bertuzzi/article15073970/

The latest trial date set in Steve Moore’s lawsuit against Todd Bertuzzi will see the case finally come to Ontario Superior Court after 10 years and six months to the day when Bertuzzi attacked Moore during an NHL game.

On March 8, 2004, Bertuzzi, then playing for the Vancouver Canucks, jumped Moore, then 25, punched him repeatedly and drove him into the ice. Moore sustained three broken vertebrae, a concussion and lasting brain damage. He never played in the NHL again and in 2006 launched a lawsuit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks seeking more than $38-million in damages for his lost hockey career and a post-hockey career Moore says he is denied because of the effects of his injuries.

After years of legal wrangling over everything from the proper jurisdiction to a secret deal between Bertuzzi, the Canucks and former Canucks head coach Marc Crawford, the case will come to trial in Superior Court in Toronto on Sept. 8, 2014. The jury trial is expected to last up to three months.

The previous trial date was September, 2012 but when Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of a secret agreement between Bertuzzi, Crawford and the company that owned the Canucks in 2008, Orca Bay, there was another delay. The agreement saw Bertuzzi drop his third-party claim against Crawford and then the Canucks, Crawford and Bertuzzi dismissed all cross-claims between each other. It also called for Bertuzzi, Crawford and the Canucks to share the cost of any damages awarded to Moore but the court did not make public how the three parties would split the payments.

Danson asked the court to reveal the details of the agreement. The court eventually allowed Danson to see the agreement but did not make it public.

I wonder what will become of this?

Seriously, is this still not settled? *facepalm*

Well, cause 'ol Stevie is living up to his last name...

First he wanted a couple mil, then 5, then 10, now...40 mil? Laughable. By the time the trial starts, I'm sure Moore will be asking upwards of 60 mil.

From CBC:

The National Hockey League refused to give Steve Moore $220,000 in a disability payment unless he dropped his civil suit against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks, new court documents allege.

As well, a new motion was filed to compel former Canucks owner John McCaw Jr. to testify at the trial scheduled to start in September in Ontario Superior Court in Toronto.

The League's name now being part of this can't be good for it's "public relations" image, with regards to the treatment of their employees. If the right people are asked to testify, some rather interesting testimony might be heard.

After all, they're trying to run a business; a very, very lucrative business.

Sorry, but we absolutely WILL NOT be turning this into another Bertuzzi/Moore thread to argue the same old stuff that's been discussed ad nauseum time and time again. Let's keep this to the trial itself and the implications thereof, please.

Bertuzzi, the Canucks, Crawford, and the League just need to let Gary Bettman act as defense counsel. If it wasn't already abundantly clear, the last lockout showed how much smarter and more devious that little guy is than anyone else.

What? You hired Donald Ferr, notorious ball breaking union lawyer to knock Gary down a peg or two? How'd that work out for you?

Gary Bettman is like a real life version of the Vince McMahon's WWE character. He's too damned slick to ever truly have something negative happen to him.

I will say, I am no lawyer, but I do own a business and from my understanding is that Moore could only sue for damages, he would then have to prove that there is 38 Million in damages caused. I am not sure if that is how lawsuits work in Canada, but I cannot imagine it being much different than the United States.

I really hope this case will be sealed on the court date cause I would like to think we are getting close to a statue of limitations by now......

I will say, I am no lawyer, but I do own a business and from my understanding is that Moore could only sue for damages, he would then have to prove that there is 38 Million in damages caused. I am not sure if that is how lawsuits work in Canada, but I cannot imagine it being much different than the United States.

I really hope this case will be sealed on the court date cause I would like to think we are getting close to a statue of limitations by now......

Pretty much, otherwise he'd have to prove some sort of negligence or criminal intent. However, I believe the damages he's seeking involves future earnings. He's trying to make Bertuzzi and the nucks pay for the money's he would have likely earned later in his career. Of course he doesn't know how his future career would have gone so the parties will likely settle for an amount smaller than 38.

What if Bertuzzi loses to, say, 6m? Surely he doesn't have 6m's hanging out. And with his career nearly over is he going to be homeless or working at the thrifty?

when you account for endorsements at the peak of his game and the length of time he has been playing I bet he has some decent assets squared away. additionally he will have known for years this was coming and probably has been careful with his money. but nevertheless I don't see Bert having to single-handedly give that much money - it will be spread between bert, crawford, and the nucks imo.

Pretty much, otherwise he'd have to prove some sort of negligence or criminal intent. However, I believe the damages he's seeking involves future earnings. He's trying to make Bertuzzi and the nucks pay for the money's he would have likely earned later in his career. Of course he doesn't know how his future career would have gone so the parties will likely settle for an amount smaller than 38.

In regards to his "future earnings", Wasn't Moore a borderline 4rth liner, with a pretty unsure hockey future?

Bertuzzi, the Canucks, Crawford, and the League just need to let Gary Bettman act as defense counsel. If it wasn't already abundantly clear, the last lockout showed how much smarter and more devious that little guy is than anyone else.

What? You hired Donald Ferr, notorious ball breaking union lawyer to knock Gary down a peg or two? How'd that work out for you?

Gary Bettman is like a real life version of the Vince McMahon's WWE character. He's too damned slick to ever truly have something negative happen to him.

Well no wonder the lockout lasted so long. Next time we know that the real life version of Steve Austin needs to be hired to Stone Cold stunner him into defeat.

Moore better settle, he won't win, he's asking way too much money. I think he has Damien Brunners agent as a lawyer.

Moore? This poor guy is a void. There are a couple 'smart' lawyer behind this who have been getting their checks for 10 years now. Why should they settle now?! I'm pretty sure they know they will never win this, but THEY DON'T CARE! AND NEVER HAVE.

In regards to his "future earnings", Wasn't Moore a borderline 4rth liner, with a pretty unsure hockey future?

Yup

Moore? This poor guy is a void. There are a couple 'smart' lawyer behind this who have been getting their checks for 10 years now. Why should they settle now?! I'm pretty sure they know they will never win this, but THEY DON'T CARE! AND NEVER HAVE.

Yup

There is a chain of guilt here; they just have to find it and "connect the dots", as it were.

People will have to outright lie for Moore not to win this lawsuit.

That's why Bertuzzi hired a pro liar (lawyer)

What is Steve Moore's current condition?

Will the court take into account the fact that Bert hasn't amounted to s*** since? :-). "There are two victims here, your Honor".

Edited by T.Low

You do realize he's normal right. He's fully recovered and is capable of making decisions for himself, the fact that his lawyers whisper all the right things in his ears is his own fault.

Guest Playmaker

I can't really understand why the league, the Canucks, etc, didn't just get this settled out of court. There is nothing positive that can come out of this for any of them.

While he may not get 38 million, I'm not seeing how Steve Moore can really lose. Bertuzzi has plead guilty. He sued Crawford for ordering the hit, in a sense, though it was later dropped. So how can he go on the stand and now say that didn't happen? Several members of the Canucks organization publicly threatened Moore after the hit on Naslund. Moore was never medically cleared to play. He's still suffering post concussion symptoms.

What if Bertuzzi loses to, say, 6m? Surely he doesn't have 6m's hanging out. And with his career nearly over is he going to be homeless or working at the thrifty?

That is why Bertuzzi is still playing, he's banking money for this decision.

From TSN::

Now, almost 10 years after Bertuzzi's infamous hit, Moore's multi-million-dollar lawsuit surrounding it is finally approaching a trial in September.

In Tribulations And Trial - a three-part series starting tonight - SportsCentre looks back at the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident and what lies ahead. The first part looks back at the incident itself and how everything unfolded up to that point. On Friday, SportsCentre has a one-on-one interview with Moore discussing what's happened since then. And on Saturday - 10 years to the day after the incident - TSN reporter Matthew Scianitti looks ahead at what to expect in Moore's lawsuit.

I'm expecting that "Canada's Sports Leader" will do their usual "fine job" in this presentation.