• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsAlways

Trial date set in Steve Moore’s lawsuit against Todd Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

Seems like most of Moore's case is A) I would've made a ton of money playing hockey or being a lawyer or XYZ but the brain injury prevents all of these pursuits, and B) The head injury has caused pain and suffering. Both points require testimony and are inheritely subjective things. But I think Moore had to set the starting bid high expecting it'd get slashed down to something in the end.

Edited by themcityblues

Just listened to his interview and I must say I fully understand him. Listen I am a huge fan of tough hockey, enforcers and line brawls but what Bertuzzi did not only crossed the line in real life this would have led to trying to murder sb charges, so it's serious.

The NHL just again shows how stupid they are, the smart thing would been to settle this without the court. Now like Moore said a lot of details are coming to come out, the league will look absolutely terrible and the only differense is NOW they have to pay a huge bill while a lot of secret stuff will have to get unveiled.

No doubt in my mind that this incident led to the instigator penalty making the job much more difficult for honest enforcers.

IF Moore is still suffering from concussions and set backs boy oh boy the court will rule heavily here.

Just listened to his interview and I must say I fully understand him. Listen I am a huge fan of tough hockey, enforcers and line brawls but what Bertuzzi did not only crossed the line in real life this would have led to trying to murder sb charges, so it's serious.

The NHL just again shows how stupid they are, the smart thing would been to settle this without the court. Now like Moore said a lot of details are coming to come out, the league will look absolutely terrible and the only differense is NOW they have to pay a huge bill while a lot of secret stuff will have to get unveiled.

No doubt in my mind that this incident led to the instigator penalty making the job much more difficult for honest enforcers.

IF Moore is still suffering from concussions and set backs boy oh boy the court will rule heavily here.

what secret stuff? what details? it's all in the replay, bertuzzi punches moore, moore falls, a bunch of guys dogpile on causing moore to get injured. the coach had told bertuzzi to fight him and exact revenge. end of story, Moor would have been a 4th line scrub for a few years before being phased out of the nhl, he will be lucky to get a few million out of this lawsuit

Guest Playmaker

I think the instigator penalty has been around for many years before this incident took place. But otherwise I agree with everything you say.

what secret stuff? what details? it's all in the replay, bertuzzi punches moore, moore falls, a bunch of guys dogpile on causing moore to get injured. the coach had told bertuzzi to fight him and exact revenge. end of story, Moor would have been a 4th line scrub for a few years before being phased out of the nhl, he will be lucky to get a few million out of this lawsuit

While you may think it's common knowledge that the coach ordered Bertuzzi to exact revenge, it's been vehemently denied by Crawford and the Canucks. Crawford even went so far as to say he ordered Bertuzzi off the ice when Moore went on. Moore was a rookie at the time, so I think it's impossible to predict what his future might have been. From what I understand, not only was he unable to play hockey again, but he was not able to work at all for quite some time after the incident. Moore is also a Harvard grad, so it isn't like he had limited earning potential outside of the NHL. So you say that it is all there on video and we know what happened, so why is it that Moore will be "lucky" to get a few million? Every thing Moore is saying happened, did happen and he suffered career ending and life altering injuries because of it.

From Vancouver Sun

The former owner of the Vancouver Canucks will have to testify live via video conferencing about the infamous on-ice attack from behind that ended the pro career of rookie hockey player Steve Moore a decade ago, an Ontario court decided on Monday.

In his 23-page decision, Master Ronald Dash ruled John McCaw Jr. has relevant evidence to offer when Moore's lawsuit gets to trial, slated to start in September.

"(McCaw) was the person at the top of the organization and ultimately responsible for the actions of management and for either setting the corporate culture of the organization or delegating the responsibility to others," Dash wrote.

This decision is very logical and I'm glad it was made.

The League is not mentioned in Moore's lawsuit, only Bertuzzi and the Canucks organization. He specifically did this because he was afraid that his brother, who was playing at the time, might be the target of some sorts of "payback".

“This case is about Steve’s life and him being here shows just how important this case is to him.”

Yeah, if you have a play-date for $68 million you wake up, brush you teeth, and show up. What a pointless quote.

This is a good one:

“Steve Moore is unable to obtain employment commensurate to anywhere near his high intellect and Harvard degree,” Danson told the court, referring to reports by career experts he has filed.

But the lawyer for Orca Bay, the former owner of the Vancouver Canucks, argued otherwise.

Alan D’Silva referred to applications Moore made to the Harvard and Stanford MBA programs in 2010 in which Moore writes about receiving $104,000 for work.

Edited by themcityblues

Asking price just went up 30 million.

The Canucks and Bertuzzi will argue at trial that estimates Moore would make $35 million during his NHL career are wildly off-base. Moore’s expert list will include hockey executives who will say that he would have blossomed into a top-six forward.

That much will be subjective. It would have been hard to predict, for instance, that Bertuzzi, demoted to the minors for 13 games during his third NHL season, would go on to earn nearly $50 million from NHL teams.

The Canucks’ lawyer, Alan D’Silva, will also try to cast doubt on Moore’s claim that he could have made as much as $65 million during a career in the financial services industry following his pro hockey career.

Asking price just went up 30 million.

The Canucks and Bertuzzi will argue at trial that estimates Moore would make $35 million during his NHL career are wildly off-base. Moores expert list will include hockey executives who will say that he would have blossomed into a top-six forward.

That much will be subjective. It would have been hard to predict, for instance, that Bertuzzi, demoted to the minors for 13 games during his third NHL season, would go on to earn nearly $50 million from NHL teams.

The Canucks lawyer, Alan DSilva, will also try to cast doubt on Moores claim that he could have made as much as $65 million during a career in the financial services industry following his pro hockey career.

This is turning into a joke.

You do realize he's normal right. He's fully recovered and is capable of making decisions for himself, the fact that his lawyers whisper all the right things in his ears is his own fault.

No, I don't. Do you have a source confirming that? Because from what I've read he still has serious cognitive limitations as a result of the incident.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/01/14/bertuzzimoore_court_documents_shed_light_on_exnhl_players_struggles.html

I'm not saying I agree with the number he's asking for in the lawsuit. I doubt that he would've been some genius financial expert, but it sure sounds like he can't hold a lot of other jobs he would've been qualified for because of his symptoms. Then throw on top of that his lost earnings from a potential NHL career.

I agree with frankgrimes, the NHL should've settled this and put this behind them years ago. Instead they allegedly withheld the $220,000 disability payment Moore was owed under the CBA unless he signed a clause saying he wouldn't sue the NHL or any franchises. And let this lawsuit drag on and rear its ugly head over and over for 10 years now.

What a terrible decision by the league.

No, I don't. Do you have a source confirming that? Because from what I've read he still has serious cognitive limitations as a result of the incident.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/01/14/bertuzzimoore_court_documents_shed_light_on_exnhl_players_struggles.html

I'm not saying I agree with the number he's asking for in the lawsuit. I doubt that he would've been some genius financial expert, but it sure sounds like he can't hold a lot of other jobs he would've been qualified for because of his symptoms. Then throw on top of that his lost earnings from a potential NHL career.

I agree with frankgrimes, the NHL should've settled this and put this behind them years ago. Instead they allegedly withheld the $220,000 disability payment Moore was owed under the CBA unless he signed a clause saying he wouldn't sue the NHL or any franchises. And let this lawsuit drag on and rear its ugly head over and over for 10 years now.

What a terrible decision by the league.

It's definitely a black mark on the league. The continued press is certainly something theyd liked to have avoided. Though it's not like it's on CNN or anything.

I could have made $50 million if I had made the NHL! I didn't make the NHL, but there's a chance I could have, however small it was! I'm suing!

$68 million? LOL. I feel bad for what happened to Steve Moore, but he's turning into a diva here. He was barely a $1-2 million per year player at the time of the incident, there's no way he would have made even a fraction of that had is career continued.

I could have made $50 million if I had made the NHL! I didn't make the NHL, but there's a chance I could have, however small it was! I'm suing!

$68 million? LOL. I feel bad for what happened to Steve Moore, but he's turning into a diva here. He was barely a $1-2 million per year player at the time of the incident, there's no way he would have made even a fraction of that had is career continued.

You can't say that for certain. If a guy like Bryan Bickell can get a 4-year, $16M contract, is it out-of-realm that Moore would have made $35-45M contract on-ice in a 10- or 12-year career? Add in any endorsements and after-hockey work that he now cannot make due to the serious injuries he sustained (this is where the battle will revolve mostly), and it is very easy to come up with $60-70 million.

I don't know if the injuries have cause significant-enough issues to leave him in such bad shape as what he's claiming, but that's not for me to decide nor to doubt-- it is for the judge to decide.

You can't say that for certain. If a guy like Bryan Bickell can get a 4-year, $16M contract, is it out-of-realm that Moore would have made $35-45M contract on-ice in a 10- or 12-year career? Add in any endorsements and after-hockey work that he now cannot make due to the serious injuries he sustained (this is where the battle will revolve mostly), and it is very easy to come up with $60-70 million.

I don't know if the injuries have cause significant-enough issues to leave him in such bad shape as what he's claiming, but that's not for me to decide nor to doubt-- it is for the judge to decide.

A $20 million jump for "after hockey earnings"? How much should my "after career earnings" be?

A $20 million jump for "after hockey earnings"? How much should my "after career earnings" be?

Interest? Investments? Real Estate? This guy graduated from Harvard. If you don't think he stood to make a LOT of money, you're out of your mind. Don't be hateful; the money isn't coming out of your pocket, it's coming from the NHL- a group of individuals who did everything in their power to essentially cover this up and make it his fault.

Also, there are such things a PUNITIVE damage. Better known as, "Since you screwed up, we're not only giving him COMPENSANTORY damages for what he lost out on personally, but we're penalizing you for your role."

Not to mention prevailing plantiff $$$. Basically, in a civil court, the court can put a percentage on negligent responsibility of both parties- meaning that the plaintiff may only be awarded a "partial win" in that they too were worthy of a portion of blame for the incident and therefore not entitled to all of the money they are seeking. But if they are labeled a prevailing plantiff, it means that they are reasonably entited to having attorneys' fees paid for by the other party due to their "prevailing" win.

Edited by _SP_

Guest Playmaker

I could be wrong, but my understanding is, he wouldn't sue the NHL because Dominic was still in the league and he didn't want him to suffer any consequences as a result.

Also, Todd Bertuzzi agreed to drop his lawsuit against the Canucks because they offered to help pay any award against him. Doesn't sound like they think it's baseless.