• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsAlways

Trial date set in Steve Moore’s lawsuit against Todd Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

Moore's lawyer is the big winner here.

He managed to stretch a $10mil lawsuit out for almost 10 years.

So long that they raised what they were originally asking to almost $70mil, since the lawyer fees alone were most likely WELL over $10mil by the end....

Moore's lawyer is the big winner here.

He managed to stretch a $10mil lawsuit out for almost 10 years.

So long that they raised what they were originally asking to almost $70mil, since the lawyer fees alone were most likely WELL over $10mil by the end....

I wonder what they settled for

Not done yet... lol

Bertuzzi's lawyer just told me he got "disconcerting email" ten minutes ago that makes him wonder if deal in jeopardy. No more details yet.
Spoke to lawyer not involved with Bertuzzi-Moore to ask what could have gone wrong. He said could be dispute over confidentiality agreement
Could be dispute about claw backs. Possible Bertuzzi/Canucks want some settlement in Trust-payable if Moore doesn't work for X-yrs
Could also be dispute over schedule of payments to Moore. Lawyer I spoke to not involved in case but has lots of exp in sports civil claims
Lawyer says his best guess at settlement terms-based on Moore's youth, Harvard degree, fact Bertuzzi was convicted, is $25M-$28M
Surprised how many people believe playing pro sports comes with an implicit consent not to sue if you are victim of a career ending attack
Can confirm that Bertuzzi's lawyer now uncertain that a settlement has been reached: Geoff Adair: "I am awaiting further confirmation,"
To repeat: there could be a hangup in the Bertuzzi-Moore settlement. Bertuzzi's lawyer says an issue may have arisen to block a settlement.

Link

Apparently not... It's becoming a circus...

Steve Moore's brother Mark says there is no deal between Steve and Todd Bertuzzi, a bombshell claim that casts doubt on claims made Wednesday by the NHL and Bertuzzi's lawyers that a settlement had been reached.

"I got a text message from Steve last night and he's very concerned," Mark Moore told TSN. "He says there is no deal yet and isn't sure what to do about all the media speculation.
"Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn't know how to handle the media."

TSN

Apparently not... It's becoming a circus...

TSN

I feel like they made them believe that a deal was in place so they could spin it to the media that it's all a lie and Steve is too fragile to handle the media. Seems all too convenient to me. Probably a tactic to squeeze more out of them.

I feel like they made them believe that a deal was in place so they could spin it to the media that it's all a lie and Steve is too fragile to handle the media. Seems all too convenient to me. Probably a tactic to squeeze more out of them.

Well, there's zero evidence of that. If we're spinning completely baseless scenarios then it's equally likely that Bertuzzi's lawyers falsely said they had a settlement in order to make Moore's camp look like the bad guys for keeping this from being resolved.

The reality is, no one knows what is actually going on in this circus. But man the NHL should've made this go away long ago.

Well, there's zero evidence of that. If we're spinning completely baseless scenarios then it's equally likely that Bertuzzi's lawyers falsely said they had a settlement in order to make Moore's camp look like the bad guys for keeping this from being resolved.

The reality is, no one knows what is actually going on in this circus. But man the NHL should've made this go away long ago.

I agree for the most part, but what bothers me about the recent statements coming out of the plaintiff's side is this: "Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn't know how to handle the media." He's never had an issue handling the media before. I call BS.

I agree for the most part, but what bothers me about the recent statements coming out of the plaintiff's side is this: "Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn't know how to handle the media." He's never had an issue handling the media before. I call BS.

Honestly I haven't followed the case super closely but has Moore ever handled the media himself regarding his lawsuit? I always remember his lawyer or brother commenting. Either way it's established that he has trouble with memory and making decisions as a result of his injury.

As for that comment, it's one made by his brother so I'm sure there's a purposeful dig in there. But that's a long way from it being some intentional strategy by his legal team.

Did Moore really sustain damage to a specific part of the brain that handles decision making? Otherwise I would think that is a weird side effect to be claiming.

I was hoping they finally did settle so this WOULD go away.

Did Moore really sustain damage to a specific part of the brain that handles decision making? Otherwise I would think that is a weird side effect to be claiming.

I was hoping they finally did settle so this WOULD go away.

Difficulty in making decisions is a common symptom of post concussion syndrome.

This is what I was referring to. Yes it was a baseless thought, and I was just stating my opinion, that's all. It could be either side, but twice in two days the lawyers thought it was resolved then it wasn't, so who knows really.

I hope Moore wins as big as possible headaches are horrible concussions headaches are even worse and what Bert did at least to me could be classified as criminal.

The guy has barely done any interviews and when he does them the lights are still dim.

Some mentioned that Bert would have to live with only of 20 percent of his money do what? The guy ended someone's careerin hockey and life.so yeah go Moore

Edited by frankgrimes

IMO this was always a freak accident. Sure Bertuzzi shouldn't have thrown the cheap shot, but there are plenty of on-par or worse cheap shots that have been thrown in the NHL. The only difference is this one happened to end with the unthinkable. The result was certainly not Bertuzzi's intention, just like no player intends to end a career when they go airborne on a hit, or throw an elbow, or slam a head into the boards, or uppercut an opponents face. The intent is always to harm, but never this. The problem is 1/somelargenumber end up like this. That's the reality of fast contact sports that condones fighting. I hope that moore can get what he needs, but I also don't think that Bertuzzi should be burned at the stake for his actions. This has been hashed out a million times, but It's late and I've been drinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3yxUcz2qs

All the crap about how Moore can't handle the media seems like BS drama to me. I'm sure he's affected by the injury and I feel for the guy, but he seems to handle the media quite well in this interview. If you didn't tell me before hand, I wouldn't know he had cognitive issues from hearing the guy speak.

He also says he was training on his own and expected to return to hockey before his doctors shot that down. No doubt his injuries are career ending, but seems like some people exaggerate them.

The best part is when he says the most important thing to him is going to trial and getting the truth out there. Guess every man has his price huh Stevie? I would've taken the money too if I were him, but it kind of irks me when states to the media that the most important thing is truth and justice in court.... and then settles for cash. CREAM.

number9.....didn't watch the video, but wonder if it was pre-criminal trial, which I think Burtuzzi ended up pleaing guilty.

This up coming trial was a civil case, which is entirely about money, so settling before going to trial is no different than going to trial except you take the risk of not getting as much money. Both sides might worry about final $ involved in trial, which brings about a settlement pre-trial (saves legal fees as well).

number9.....didn't watch the video, but wonder if it was pre-criminal trial, which I think Burtuzzi ended up pleaing guilty.

This up coming trial was a civil case, which is entirely about money, so settling before going to trial is no different than going to trial except you take the risk of not getting as much money. Both sides might worry about final $ involved in trial, which brings about a settlement pre-trial (saves legal fees as well).

Interview is from 2014 if that helps. Uploaded to youtube March 8th of 2014.