• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

What is Steve Moore's current condition?

Will the court take into account the fact that Bert hasn't amounted to s*** since? :-). "There are two victims here, your Honor".

Edited by T.Low, 01 March 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#22 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Moore? This poor guy is a void. There are a couple 'smart' lawyer behind this who have been getting their checks for 10 years now. Why should they settle now?! I'm pretty sure they know they will never win this, but THEY DON'T CARE! AND NEVER HAVE.

You do realize he's normal right. He's fully recovered and is capable of making decisions for himself, the fact that his lawyers whisper all the right things in his ears is his own fault.

#23 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

I can't really understand why the league, the Canucks, etc, didn't just get this settled out of court.  There is nothing positive that can come out of this for any of them. 

While he may not get 38 million, I'm not seeing how Steve Moore can really lose.  Bertuzzi has plead guilty.  He sued Crawford for ordering the hit, in a sense, though it was later dropped.  So how can he go on the stand and now say that didn't happen?  Several members of the Canucks organization publicly threatened Moore after the hit on Naslund.  Moore was never medically cleared to play.  He's still suffering post concussion symptoms. 

#24 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

What if Bertuzzi loses to, say, 6m?  Surely he doesn't have 6m's hanging out.  And with his career nearly over is he going to be homeless or working at the thrifty?

That is why Bertuzzi is still playing, he's banking money for this decision.

#25 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

From TSN::

Now, almost 10 years after Bertuzzi's infamous hit, Moore's multi-million-dollar lawsuit surrounding it is finally approaching a trial in September.

In Tribulations And Trial - a three-part series starting tonight - SportsCentre looks back at the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident and what lies ahead. The first part looks back at the incident itself and how everything unfolded up to that point. On Friday, SportsCentre has a one-on-one interview with Moore discussing what's happened since then. And on Saturday - 10 years to the day after the incident - TSN reporter Matthew Scianitti looks ahead at what to expect in Moore's lawsuit.

I'm expecting that "Canada's Sports Leader" will do their usual "fine job" in this presentation.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#26 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Seems like most of Moore's case is A) I would've made a ton of money playing hockey or being a lawyer or XYZ but the brain injury prevents all of these pursuits, and B) The head injury has caused pain and suffering.  Both points require testimony and are inheritely subjective things.  But I think Moore had to set the starting bid high expecting it'd get slashed down to something in the end.

Edited by themcityblues, 06 March 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#27 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

Just listened to his interview and I must say I fully understand him. Listen I am a huge fan of tough hockey, enforcers and line brawls but what Bertuzzi did not only crossed the line in real life this would have led to trying to murder sb charges, so it's serious.

The NHL just again shows how stupid they are, the smart thing would been to settle this without the court. Now like Moore said a lot of details are coming to come out, the league will look absolutely terrible and the only differense is NOW they have to pay a huge bill while a lot of secret stuff will have to get unveiled.

No doubt in my mind that this incident led to the instigator penalty making the job much more difficult for honest enforcers.

IF Moore is still suffering from concussions and set backs boy oh boy the court will rule heavily here.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#28 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Just listened to his interview and I must say I fully understand him. Listen I am a huge fan of tough hockey, enforcers and line brawls but what Bertuzzi did not only crossed the line in real life this would have led to trying to murder sb charges, so it's serious.

The NHL just again shows how stupid they are, the smart thing would been to settle this without the court. Now like Moore said a lot of details are coming to come out, the league will look absolutely terrible and the only differense is NOW they have to pay a huge bill while a lot of secret stuff will have to get unveiled.

No doubt in my mind that this incident led to the instigator penalty making the job much more difficult for honest enforcers.

IF Moore is still suffering from concussions and set backs boy oh boy the court will rule heavily here.

what secret stuff? what details? it's all in the replay, bertuzzi punches moore, moore falls, a bunch of guys dogpile on causing moore to get injured. the coach had told bertuzzi to fight him and exact revenge. end of story, Moor would have been a 4th line scrub for a few years before being phased out of the nhl, he will be lucky to get a few million out of this lawsuit

#29 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

I think the instigator penalty has been around for many years before this incident took place.  But otherwise I agree with everything you say.  

what secret stuff? what details? it's all in the replay, bertuzzi punches moore, moore falls, a bunch of guys dogpile on causing moore to get injured. the coach had told bertuzzi to fight him and exact revenge. end of story, Moor would have been a 4th line scrub for a few years before being phased out of the nhl, he will be lucky to get a few million out of this lawsuit

While you may think it's common knowledge that the coach ordered Bertuzzi to exact revenge, it's been vehemently denied by Crawford and the Canucks.  Crawford even went so far as to say he ordered Bertuzzi off the ice when Moore went on.  Moore was a rookie at the time, so I think it's impossible to predict what his future might have been.  From what I understand, not only was he unable to play hockey again, but he was not able to work at all for quite some time after the incident.  Moore is also a Harvard grad, so it isn't like he had limited earning potential outside of the NHL. So you say that it is all there on video and we know what happened, so why is it that Moore will be "lucky" to get a few million?  Every thing Moore is saying happened, did happen and he suffered career ending and life altering injuries because of it.  

#30 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

From Vancouver Sun

The former owner of the Vancouver Canucks will have to testify live via video conferencing about the infamous on-ice attack from behind that ended the pro career of rookie hockey player Steve Moore a decade ago, an Ontario court decided on Monday.

In his 23-page decision, Master Ronald Dash ruled John McCaw Jr. has relevant evidence to offer when Moore's lawsuit gets to trial, slated to start in September.

"(McCaw) was the person at the top of the organization and ultimately responsible for the actions of management and for either setting the corporate culture of the organization or delegating the responsibility to others," Dash wrote.

This decision is very logical and I'm glad it was made.

The League is not mentioned in Moore's lawsuit, only Bertuzzi and the Canucks organization. He specifically did this because he was afraid that his brother, who was playing at the time, might be the target of some sorts of "payback".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#31 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

@RedWingsFeed: U.S. judge backs order for ex-Canucks owner to testify in Moore lawsuit: A U.S. federal... http://t.co/xYg8xZEIyX via @CBCSports #RedWings

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#32 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

@RedWingsFeed: Moore attends Bertuzzi civil trial for first time in eight years: "This case is... http://t.co/uEcURJ8vQo via @NHLonNBCSports #RedWings

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#33 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

“This case is about Steve’s life and him being here shows just how important this case is to him.”

Yeah, if you have a play-date for $68 million you wake up, brush you teeth, and show up. What a pointless quote.

This is a good one:

“Steve Moore is unable to obtain employment commensurate to anywhere near his high intellect and Harvard degree,” Danson told the court, referring to reports by career experts he has filed.

But the lawyer for Orca Bay, the former owner of the Vancouver Canucks, argued otherwise.

Alan D’Silva referred to applications Moore made to the Harvard and Stanford MBA programs in 2010 in which Moore writes about receiving $104,000 for work.

Edited by themcityblues, 02 July 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#34 wheelchairwing

wheelchairwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

What care does Moore need due to injury/disability? $104,000 simply might not cover expenses.  Seriously. Disability is expensive...

#35 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

Asking price just went up 30 million.

The Canucks and Bertuzzi will argue at trial that estimates Moore would make $35 million during his NHL career are wildly off-base. Moore’s expert list will include hockey executives who will say that he would have blossomed into a top-six forward.

That much will be subjective. It would have been hard to predict, for instance, that Bertuzzi, demoted to the minors for 13 games during his third NHL season, would go on to earn nearly $50 million from NHL teams.

The Canucks’ lawyer, Alan D’Silva, will also try to cast doubt on Moore’s claim that he could have made as much as $65 million during a career in the financial services industry following his pro hockey career.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#36 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Asking price just went up 30 million.

The Canucks and Bertuzzi will argue at trial that estimates Moore would make $35 million during his NHL career are wildly off-base. Moores expert list will include hockey executives who will say that he would have blossomed into a top-six forward.

That much will be subjective. It would have been hard to predict, for instance, that Bertuzzi, demoted to the minors for 13 games during his third NHL season, would go on to earn nearly $50 million from NHL teams.

The Canucks lawyer, Alan DSilva, will also try to cast doubt on Moores claim that he could have made as much as $65 million during a career in the financial services industry following his pro hockey career.

This is turning into a joke.

#37 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

Well if Moore gets that then Savard needs to go after Cooke.

#38 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I could have made $100 million dollars if I hadn't broke my foot...

#39 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Man, everybody could've made $65 million in the "financial industry" if not for a few head injuries here and there. I mean, in the "financial industry" its a sure thing. All you need is a good brain and that $65 million begins to flow.

#40 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

If Moore wins, guys like Neely, Savard, Lafontaine, etc could also sue. Moore won't win just based on what could happen next.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons