• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

You do realize he's normal right. He's fully recovered and is capable of making decisions for himself, the fact that his lawyers whisper all the right things in his ears is his own fault.

No, I don't.  Do you have a source confirming that? Because from what I've read he still has serious cognitive limitations as a result of the incident. 

http://www.thestar.c..._struggles.html

I'm not saying I agree with the number he's asking for in the lawsuit.  I doubt that he would've been some genius financial expert, but it sure sounds like he can't hold a lot of other jobs he would've been qualified for because of his symptoms.  Then throw on top of that his lost earnings from a potential NHL career.  

I agree with frankgrimes, the NHL should've settled this and put this behind them years ago.  Instead they allegedly withheld the $220,000 disability payment Moore was owed under the CBA unless he signed a clause saying he wouldn't sue the NHL or any franchises.  And let this lawsuit drag on and rear its ugly head over and over for 10 years now.  

What a terrible decision by the league.  

#42 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

No, I don't.  Do you have a source confirming that? Because from what I've read he still has serious cognitive limitations as a result of the incident. 

http://www.thestar.c..._struggles.html

I'm not saying I agree with the number he's asking for in the lawsuit.  I doubt that he would've been some genius financial expert, but it sure sounds like he can't hold a lot of other jobs he would've been qualified for because of his symptoms.  Then throw on top of that his lost earnings from a potential NHL career.  

I agree with frankgrimes, the NHL should've settled this and put this behind them years ago.  Instead they allegedly withheld the $220,000 disability payment Moore was owed under the CBA unless he signed a clause saying he wouldn't sue the NHL or any franchises.  And let this lawsuit drag on and rear its ugly head over and over for 10 years now.  

What a terrible decision by the league.  

It's definitely a black mark on the league. The continued press is certainly something theyd liked to have avoided. Though it's not like it's on CNN or anything.

#43 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,626 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

I could have made $50 million if I had made the NHL! I didn't make the NHL, but there's a chance I could have, however small it was! I'm suing!

$68 million? LOL. I feel bad for what happened to Steve Moore, but he's turning into a diva here. He was barely a $1-2 million per year player at the time of the incident, there's no way he would have made even a fraction of that had is career continued. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#44 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

I could have made $50 million if I had made the NHL! I didn't make the NHL, but there's a chance I could have, however small it was! I'm suing!

$68 million? LOL. I feel bad for what happened to Steve Moore, but he's turning into a diva here. He was barely a $1-2 million per year player at the time of the incident, there's no way he would have made even a fraction of that had is career continued. 

You can't say that for certain.  If a guy like Bryan Bickell can get a 4-year, $16M contract, is it out-of-realm that Moore would have made $35-45M contract on-ice in a 10- or 12-year career?  Add in any endorsements and after-hockey work that he now cannot make due to the serious injuries he sustained (this is where the battle will revolve mostly), and it is very easy to come up with $60-70 million. 

I don't know if the injuries have cause significant-enough issues to leave him in such bad shape as what he's claiming, but that's not for me to decide nor to doubt-- it is for the judge to decide.  

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

You can't say that for certain.  If a guy like Bryan Bickell can get a 4-year, $16M contract, is it out-of-realm that Moore would have made $35-45M contract on-ice in a 10- or 12-year career?  Add in any endorsements and after-hockey work that he now cannot make due to the serious injuries he sustained (this is where the battle will revolve mostly), and it is very easy to come up with $60-70 million. 

I don't know if the injuries have cause significant-enough issues to leave him in such bad shape as what he's claiming, but that's not for me to decide nor to doubt-- it is for the judge to decide.  

A $20 million jump for "after hockey earnings"? How much should my "after career earnings" be?

#46 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

A $20 million jump for "after hockey earnings"? How much should my "after career earnings" be?

Interest? Investments? Real Estate?  This guy graduated from Harvard.  If you don't think he stood to make a LOT of money, you're out of your mind.  Don't be hateful; the money isn't coming out of your pocket, it's coming from the NHL- a group of individuals who did everything in their power to essentially cover this up and make it his fault.

Also, there are such things a PUNITIVE damage. Better known as, "Since you screwed up, we're not only giving him COMPENSANTORY damages for what he lost out on personally, but we're penalizing you for your role."

Not to mention prevailing plantiff $$$.  Basically, in a civil court, the court can put a percentage on negligent responsibility of both parties- meaning that the plaintiff may only be awarded a "partial win" in that they too were worthy of a portion of blame for the incident and therefore not entitled to all of the money they are seeking.  But if they are labeled a prevailing plantiff, it means that they are reasonably entited to having attorneys' fees paid for by the other party due to their "prevailing" win.

Edited by _SP_, 06 July 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#47 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

I could be wrong, but my understanding is, he wouldn't sue the NHL because Dominic was still in the league and he didn't want him to suffer any consequences as a result.

Also, Todd Bertuzzi agreed to drop his lawsuit against the Canucks because they offered to help pay any award against him. Doesn't sound like they think it's baseless.

#48 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

I just hope this ends soon - for both parties involved. I can't imagine living for years with this going on.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#49 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

They will settle. The asking price is all part of negotiations. Nothing significant will happen. Moore will get a fair amount of money and then this will go away.

#50 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,626 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

Wonder if Bert tries to keep playing if anything to earn more for this trial.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#51 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

The whole thing is ridiculous!

#52 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

settlement reached outside of court, per berts lawyer.. no word on terms yet 

http://prohockeytalk...d-out-of-court/

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#53 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Moore's lawyer is the big winner here.

He managed to stretch a $10mil lawsuit out for almost 10 years. 

So long that they raised what they were originally asking to almost $70mil, since the lawyer fees alone were most likely WELL over $10mil by the end....

#54 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Moore's lawyer is the big winner here.

He managed to stretch a $10mil lawsuit out for almost 10 years. 

So long that they raised what they were originally asking to almost $70mil, since the lawyer fees alone were most likely WELL over $10mil by the end....

I wonder what they settled for

#55 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

Not done yet... lol

Bertuzzi's lawyer just told me he got "disconcerting email" ten minutes ago that makes him wonder if deal in jeopardy. No more details yet.
Spoke to lawyer not involved with Bertuzzi-Moore to ask what could have gone wrong. He said could be dispute over confidentiality agreement
Could be dispute about claw backs. Possible Bertuzzi/Canucks want some settlement in Trust-payable if Moore doesn't work for X-yrs
Could also be dispute over schedule of payments to Moore. Lawyer I spoke to not involved in case but has lots of exp in sports civil claims
Lawyer says his best guess at settlement terms-based on Moore's youth, Harvard degree, fact Bertuzzi was convicted, is $25M-$28M
Surprised how many people believe playing pro sports comes with an implicit consent not to sue if you are victim of a career ending attack
Can confirm that Bertuzzi's lawyer now uncertain that a settlement has been reached: Geoff Adair: "I am awaiting further confirmation,"
To repeat: there could be a hangup in the Bertuzzi-Moore settlement. Bertuzzi's lawyer says an issue may have arisen to block a settlement.

Link

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#56 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

FINALIZED now (according to Canadian media)

http://kuklaskorner....icially-will-re

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#57 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,626 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

About time.

#58 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

FINALIZED now (according to Canadian media)

http://kuklaskorner....icially-will-re

Apparently not...  It's becoming a circus...

Steve Moore's brother Mark says there is no deal between Steve and Todd Bertuzzi, a bombshell claim that casts doubt on claims made Wednesday by the NHL and Bertuzzi's lawyers that a settlement had been reached.

"I got a text message from Steve last night and he's very concerned," Mark Moore told TSN. "He says there is no deal yet and isn't sure what to do about all the media speculation.

"Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn't know how to handle the media."

TSN

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#59 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

TSN

haha, just came here to post that.... circus is an understatement. this is ridiculous. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#60 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

TSN

I feel like they made them believe that a deal was in place so they could spin it to the media that it's all a lie and Steve is too fragile to handle the media. Seems all too convenient to me. Probably a tactic to squeeze more out of them.