• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

This team is not going to make another cup run without some serious changes/updates. but I understand what you are trying to say. The only thing we can do with Sammy is cut him, which needs to be done asap.

I completely agree.  I just feel everyone ignores the reality of the situation with Sammy. He's not going anywhere when we can't even afford a replacement under the cap.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

Here's what I don't understand with Sammy.  Why not just waive him?  If he doesn't get claimed then you can just put him right back on the roster, like they did with Emmerton.  Why not just see what happens?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Here's what I don't understand with Sammy.  Why not just waive him?  If he doesn't get claimed then you can just put him right back on the roster, like they did with Emmerton.  Why not just see what happens?

Yes. if he doesn't get claimed we can send him to GR and save a little money. We need to free up about 700K to be able to recall Nyquist. According to capgeek we have about 250K available right now. Nyquist makes 950,000. If nothing else it gets a usable player on the roster.

#24 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

As of right now we're far too close to the cap to consider it.  The savings we would get from his over-35 contract would be minimal and barely enough to even have somebody replace him on the roster.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yes. if he doesn't get claimed we can send him to GR and save a little money. We need to free up about 700K to be able to recall Nyquist. According to capgeek we have about 250K available right now. Nyquist makes 950,000. If nothing else it gets a usable player on the roster.

Well if Sammy was waived, and he cleared, we'd only have 100k against the cap, so it wouldn't be enough to recall Nyquist.  Even so, there's still no harm whatsoever in waiving him just to see what happens.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#26 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

Well if Sammy was waived, and he cleared, we'd only have 100k against the cap, so it wouldn't be enough to recall Nyquist.  Even so, there's still no harm whatsoever in waiving him just to see what happens.

Sure there is. If someone gets banged up we won't even be able to afford to bring up a replacement.

Vince Lombardi

#27 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but if he was waived, can we not spread his remaining salary over this year and next?

#28 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but if he was waived, can we not spread his remaining salary over this year and next?

No you're thinking about buyouts. If we waive Sammy it takes a body off our 23 man roster and really doesn't help the cap situation at all. Thus it actually hurts us because we wouldn't be able to replace him.

Vince Lombardi

#29 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

Sure there is. If someone gets banged up we won't even be able to afford to bring up a replacement.

You don't have to leave a guy in the minors if he clears waivers.  Remember prior to the first game?  Emmerton was waived and cleared, and then immediately brought back up to the big club for opening night.  Waive Sammy, if he clears great, if he doesn't put him right back on the Wing's roster and it will be like nothing had changed.  No harm, no foul. 

#30 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

You don't have to leave a guy in the minors if he clears waivers.  Remember prior to the first game?  Emmerton was waived and cleared, and then immediately brought back up to the big club for opening night.  Waive Sammy, if he clears great, if he doesn't put him right back on the Wing's roster and it will be like nothing had changed.  No harm, no foul. 

That's fair. I was more referring to the suggestion to get him off the roster.

I have a feeling they know full well that no one would claim him. Why not try it?  Knowing this organization...probably just out of respect for the player they signed and committed to.

Vince Lombardi

#31 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

That's fair. I was more referring to the suggestion to get him off the roster.

I have a feeling they know full well that no one would claim him. Why not try it?  Knowing this organization...probably just out of respect for the player they signed and committed to.

Question though. If Sammy is Waived and claimed he would still have to waive his NTC yes? no?

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Question though. If Sammy is Waived and claimed he would still have to waive his NTC yes? no?

No.  If he had a no movement clause he couldn't be waived.  As is, he's got a no trade, which has nothing to do with waivers.

#33 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

If you are implying that there is a non-zero chance that someone will claim him, let me assure you that the chances of him being claimed are indeed zero.

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

If you are implying that there is a non-zero chance that someone will claim him, let me assure you that the chances of him being claimed are indeed zero.

Why?

#35 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Why?

Because he has negative value.  No team is going to waste a couple million dollars on a player that won't crack the roster of most teams.

#36 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm sure a few are following but if not Moulson has couple of goals tonight. 

#37 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

While on the topic of Sammy and waivers, I have a question for you guys. I assume it would be protected against, but then I could also assume it's not.

Could Kenny waive Sammy and send him to gr until he gets hurt, then call him up and place him on LTIR to get rid of his cap hit? It seems like cap circumvention to me, but I don't know if there were any rules against this. If it's perfectly legal, what are we thinking not doing it? Theres a much higher chance of him getting hurt playing games than in practice. Seems like a pretty foolproof idea to me if there is nothing in the cba against it.

#38 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

While on the topic of Sammy and waivers, I have a question for you guys. I assume it would be protected against, but then I could also assume it's not.

Could Kenny waive Sammy and send him to gr until he gets hurt, then call him up and place him on LTIR to get rid of his cap hit? It seems like cap circumvention to me, but I don't know if there were any rules against this. If it's perfectly legal, what are we thinking not doing it? Theres a much higher chance of him getting hurt playing games than in practice. Seems like a pretty foolproof idea to me if there is nothing in the cba against it.

First off welcome to LGW.

In regards to your point there's no way the club would orchestrate a plan that revolves around assuming a player is going to get injured.

Not to mention we would still be short a roster man as long as he's healthy in the minors as we wouldn't be able to bring anyone up because of the cap.

Vince Lombardi

#39 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,057 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Moulson is kinda like Vanek; he's a one-zone player, but he's very good in that one zone. I think the big question with him is, How will he fare without Tavares?

All things considered, I'd rather see us pick up a veteran top-4 defenseman. Like I've said before, I think the holes on the blue line left by Lidstrom and Rafalski = our biggest source of suck.

Bogosian

Edler

Enstrom

Girardi

Et al.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#40 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

First off welcome to LGW.

In regards to your point there's no way the club would orchestrate a plan that revolves around assuming a player is going to get injured.

Not to mention we would still be short a roster man as long as he's healthy in the minors as we wouldn't be able to bring anyone up because of the cap.

Thanks. I've been around for a while just never posted anything. I just like to read the opinions. I know the organization "wouldn't" persay, but theoretically would that work?