• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

What would you do?...

Rate this topic

With the over crowded roster and Eaves making his debut against Vancouver tonight and Helm possible for one of the games in Alberta this weekend, just wondering what people think Kenny and Babs should do...

If I were Ken Holland...

Trade Samuelsson (retain 50% of his salary - $1,500,000) for a late round draft pick or future considerations to a struggling team with cap space (Florida, Buffalo, Calgary...)

Trade Andersson for a 2014, 3rd round draft pick to a team looking for depth at center (New York I, Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver...)

Trade Quincey and a 2014, 2nd and / or a 3rd round pick to either Edmonton for Ladislav Smid or Philadelphia for Nicklas Grossmann.

Promote Nyquist and Tatar full time.

If I were Mike Babcock...

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Franzen - Tatar

Abdelkader - Weiss - Bertuzzi

Miller - Helm - Cleary / Eaves / Tootoo

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smid or Grossmann - Kindl

DeKeyser - Smith

Lashoff

Howard

Gustavsson

I think the top line would absolutely dominate once they got going. I really think that Franzen is better suited playing down the middle, getting more involved and would benefit by playing with two young, energetic players trying to prove themselves. The third and forth lines have the potential to be the best bottom two lines in the league, one big, crash and bang line and one energetic, grinding line.

That second line probably wouldn't work, and I would probably trade eaves as well

Care to elaborate / explain why you think that line wouldn't work? I think it has potential to be great.

Eaves can also be traded for a draft pick if cap space is needed.

Could it be that there are fans that still do not know Mikael Sameulsson has a no trade clause?

I know. That, and he's not worth a bag of pucks.

I'd still try waiving him, just for the 1% chance that someone would be crazy enough to claim him.

Could it be that there are fans that still do not know Mikael Sameulsson has a no trade clause?

I'm well aware of the no trade clause but he would definitely waive that after being a healthy scratch for 15-20 straight games. And there are definitely a few teams out there that would take a chance on a player like Samuelsson for $1,500,000.

Guest Playmaker

I'm well aware of the no trade clause but he would definitely waive that after being a healthy scratch for 15-20 straight games. And there are definitely a few teams out there that would take a chance on a player like Samuelsson for $1,500,000.

Why would he be so willing to waive it? He still gets paid the same whether he sits or not. He has young children, he may not want to move around. It may be why he asked for the NTC in the first place. Plus, injuries happen all the time during the course of a long season. I'd be more inclined to offer Cleary. Supposedly there was all this interest in him over the summer.

Not a chance in hell. I really feel like a broken record regarding Sammy.

Why would he accept that? He's about to turn 37, probably in his last year. Which to accept....Contend for the cup... or......go to to a bottom feeder who's going for a lottery pick.....

It's not like he needs ice time to prove himself for another contract. No one will sign him after this year with his age and injury history. This is it for Sammy. He's not leaving his fellow Swedes and his last chance at a cup.

Grossman is slower than molasses. One of the biggest pilons in the NHL. I'd try to move Quincey and promote Ouellet. Move Tootoo and Eaves and bring up Nyquist followed by Jurco next year with a spot for Mantha should he earn it. I'd buy out Franzen this summer if he can't be traded and offer the best UFA his salary plus a little more and for a few years. If Weiss doesn't pan out this year then see what we can get for him but i see a line of Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist doing some damage. Trust our quality draft picks and trim the fat. Make a big trade if/when it makes sense and for someone that's a good fit. Until Vamek and Moulson re-sign with their teams they could be on the radar as a UFA pick up this summer.

As far as this season and next....

Trade Tootoo and/or Eaves. Which ever one has more value or both.

Recall Nyquist.

Try to make move at some point for top 2/4 defenceman and/or top 4/6 scoring/power forward. (Price will be high)

Trade Quincey for pick. Replace with Lashoff/Ouellet.

Go For Cup

Resign RFAs - Dekeyser, Tatar, Glendening, Sheahan, Ferraro

Resign UFAs - Ericsson, Alfredsson, Gustavsson

Zetterberg Datsyuk Alfredsson

Franzen Weiss Tatar

Nyquist Helm Abdelkader

Miller Anderson Glendening

Ferraro Sheahan Jurco

Kronwall Ericsson

Kindl Dekeyser

Smith Lashoff

Ouellet Sproul

Howard

Gustavsson

Add a big acquisition to that lineup and we're a serious contender for years to come.

Guest Playmaker

Also, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think the NHL is like other leagues where one team can pay half or all of another player's salary. I think its kind of an all or nothing deal. I'm kind of thinking too that the Wings probably already approached Sammy in the offseason regarding his situation, either taking a buyout, waiving his NTC, etc. While the Cleary signing has made me totally question the management team, I don't think they are *that* dumb.

The very very first thing that has to happen is: Holland has to admit that his plug and patch plan has not worked. We can kind of understand what he was trying to do. Sign some vets for a couple of years while letting some young talent develop in the minors. makes sense. But it hasn't worked. The drop off has been faster than the development which is what has created our issues with the forward corp. If Holland ever sees this and admits it, then there are hundreds of ways to improve this team. But you can't fix a problem until you admit to the problem.

Guest Crymson

I would build a sophisticated robot with the speed, strength, size, and cognitive subroutines necessary to perform superlatively on the ice. It would dominate the opposition and never tire.

That's what I would do.

Edited by Crymson

Not much we can do right now. I would personally try to see about Girardi (impending UFA) if the Rangers decide to pack it in this year and tank. The Rags have to re-sign a lot of players this offseason and may not be able to fork out 6+ mill for Girardi. Would likely take a 1st + Good Prospect + Cap dump (Quincey) for the rental.

I think we just have to wait for contracts to expire after this year... Our team is currently built with a load of bottom 6 guys. I would like to see money spent bringing in top 6 talent this offseason and then promoting guys like Ferraro, Sheahan, etc. for the bottom 6 to grind it out and earn it in the NHL. I think that is the key to a successful team that is cap efficient. Hopefully this season has been a lesson to Holland that you can't hoard all the ex-RW players that are past their expiry date and hope to ice a competitive team.

I'd trade Franzen. His contract is cap friendly and the guy has shown he can be a huge asset.....he just doesn't want to be.

Gus and Tatertots are going to be better players all around than Franzenfloat. I am so tired of watching this guy meander around the ice like he is on a Sunday stroll at a seniors home. Its BEYOND ridiculous. I see Bert hustle his ass around with a bad back. Gus in the minors is a complete waste, and Tatar saddled with Cleary the albatross IF he isn't a healthy scratch.... yet, there is 93, crawling back on a line change or standing in the same spot for 8 seconds of his shift. Imagine having that much talent and deciding not to use it?

He and Lash for Girardi and a late pick would do it for me.

You can now. That was added to the last CBA. I'm not sure exactly how it works, and whether it's just cap space or salary as well, but the trading-away team can maintain part of a player's contract. Capgeek.com can probably explain it...

I would build a sophisticated robot with the speed, strength, size, and cognitive subroutines necessary to perform superlatively on the ice. It would dominate the opposition and never tire.

That's what I would do.

They already did, but he went back to Sweden.

Maybe you could invent a Nick 2.0.

Wait just a little bit more until Buffalo has traded away a few more forwards, then send JGus, Sammy (waive it and we'll slip you a couple million on the side- just don't tell anyone), Andersson, and Smith for Ryan Miller.

JGus and Miller are pretty even as far as I'm concerned. Miller has been in a down-turn, but look at what he's been playing behind. JGus has been revitalized and be convinced to put on a show as a starter to build his value for a contract anywhere else next summer. Andersson and Smith cancel out Sammy. Throw in a draft pick if we must.

Now our roster is down by three players and we can bring up Nyquist and keep the rest of our wonderful Wings.