• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

What would you do?...

Rate this topic

Barring a Trade - that will never happen (Girardi would be nice). This is what I would do this offseason:

Trim the fat: Quincey, Cleary, Bert, Sammy, Eaves all gone.

Buyout Franzen: This needs to happen for the future of the team cap-wise and the compete level on the ice.

Promote kids for bottom 6 duty: Lets get some competition in the bottom six between some youngsters. This team lacks compete and accountability for poor games.

Sign a top winger: Vanek would be nice but there are a few options out there.

I honestly think this is addition by subtraction. Get the team sorted out long term and figure out the identity of the team. The following year Alfie would retire so I would bring up Jurco/Jarnkrok if ready. Sorry if the cap numbers aren't what you expect - I have no clue where the cap will be next year but I think there is wiggle room.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Vanek/Gaborik/UFA Winger ($7.500m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.800m)
Luke Glendening ($0.700m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.000m)
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.300m)
Xavier Ouellet ($0.894m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m)
Buried: Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,039,167; BONUSES: $224,167
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,485,000

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Vanek/Gaborik/UFA Winger ($7.500m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.500m)

Tomas Tatar ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.800m)

Luke Glendening ($0.700m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.000m)

Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.300m)

Xavier Ouellet ($0.894m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Thomas Greiss ($0.750m)

OTHER

Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m)

Buried: Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,039,167; BONUSES: $224,167

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,485,000

Few things I would change with this. First off I think you underestimate what Dekeyser is going to get paid. He makes 1.775 this year with his bonus and there's no denying his value. If his deal is 3 years or more it will easily be over 3 million.

I would expect Gustavsson back with a very slight raise. The way Bertuzzi is playing he might even have one more year(If we can't acquire someone else).

Mitchell Callahan is eligible for waivers next year too and plays RW. Could be a scrappy 4th line guy. It'll be nice that Glendening will be waiver exempt next year as well.

Sproul and Almquist wll get their shots too.

Given two facts:

1. MacDavid draft

2. offense is questionable after Z and Pasha

I would say go from retool into rebuild in terms of offense:

let the veterans walk, re-sign monster and DeKeyser and bring up more youth from the Rapids. Finally buyout stop gaps

If the DetroitRedWings are going to suck the price atnthe end will be a generational one ;-)

Edited by frankgrimes

Few things I would change with this. First off I think you underestimate what Dekeyser is going to get paid. He makes 1.775 this year with his bonus and there's no denying his value. If his deal is 3 years or more it will easily be over 3 million.

I would expect Gustavsson back with a very slight raise. The way Bertuzzi is playing he might even have one more year(If we can't acquire someone else).

Mitchell Callahan is eligible for waivers next year too and plays RW. Could be a scrappy 4th line guy. It'll be nice that Glendening will be waiver exempt next year as well.

Sproul and Almquist wll get their shots too.

I agree on Callahan. As for the cap - lets hope it goes up a bit and we can squeeze out enough money to re-sign Alfie AND nab a top 6 winger. PS. I don't think its right to re-sign Gus and pay more - that would be like 7-8 mill in goaltending alone. With Howard's contract and ability to carry the load I think we should go for a cheaper option - we can always use Mrazek a bit too like this season.

there was talk on page two about yakupov and apparently his agent is going to meet with the oilers and talk about how they've been using yakupov.... said he's open to moving him, to any team.

also, his agent happens to be igor larionov.. i thought that was interesting.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/11/report-yakupovs-agent-to-meet-with-edmonton-brass/

there was talk on page two about yakupov and apparently his agent is going to meet with the oilers and talk about how they've been using yakupov.... said he's open to moving him, to any team.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/11/report-yakupovs-agent-to-meet-with-edmonton-brass/

it would be sweet to have dats and yak together - but we just don't have the pieces to get a former no1 overall

it would be sweet to have dats and yak together - but we just don't have the pieces to get a former no1 overall

Agreed, we don't.. or at least aren't willing to give up what it might take. I just like the idea of bigger name players potentially being on the move. And I do like the oilers :x

Guest Playmaker

That's all well and good, but who is Edmonton going to take? We have no roster or cap space. Cleary, Sammy, Gustavsson and Bert all have a NTC. So who would the Wings trade that Edmonton would realistically want or take?

That's all well and good, but who is Edmonton going to take? We have no roster or cap space. Cleary, Sammy, Gustavsson and Bert all have a NTC. So who would the Wings trade that Edmonton would realistically want or take?

They need defense and veteran leadership. Smith, Quincey and Sammy, one can dream :)

Assuming we don't re-sign anyone but Ericsson, this team has some really good opportunities next year.

We will have two top six spots open, unless Babcock puts Abdelkader back up there, and a top 4 defenseman slot. Perfect opportunity to address weaknesses.

I never said the wings could pull off a trade for him.. just throwing him potentially being on the move out there.

If only we could have bought out Sammy.. then mayyybe there's a slight chance. Though I'd still don't it.

As it were now, it'd take Sammy allowing a trade there and probably xo, mraz, picks in addition to Sammy. And even then it might be a long shot..

Guest Playmaker

Assuming we don't re-sign anyone but Ericsson, this team has some really good opportunities next year.

We will have two top six spots open, unless Babcock puts Abdelkader back up there, and a top 4 defenseman slot. Perfect opportunity to address weaknesses.

We had this same opportunity in 2012. Lots of cap and roster space. I'd like to think they'll do something productive and address needs with younger players, but that's never been Holland's MO.

Ericsson and Dekeyser. Probably looking at a combined 6 or 7M. Worth every penny IMO.

Yeah, I forgot DeKeyser. I'd like to see a defensive lineup of:

Kronwall-Ericsson

DeKeyser-New Guy

Kindl-Almquist/Smith/Lashoff

I don't care so Much about "getting younger.". Anyone between 27 and 32 is fine with me for an offensive defenseman. Prime years.

Yeah, I forgot DeKeyser. I'd like to see a defensive lineup of:

Kronwall-Ericsson

DeKeyser-New Guy

Kindl-Almquist/Smith/Lashoff

I don't care so Much about "getting younger.". Anyone between 27 and 32 is fine with me for an offensive defenseman. Prime years.

You won't get a good offensive D-man through UFA between the ages of 27 - 32.

As much as I hate "getting older", I'd look at bringing in Dan Boyle if he's healthy. He's 37, but on a two year deal he would be a nice stop-gap guy until Sproul or someone else is ready.

Kronwall - Ericsson

Boyle - Dekeyser

Kindl - Lashoff

That would be a relatively mistake-free D, with more offense then we're seeing this year.

You won't get a good offensive D-man through UFA between the ages of 27 - 32.

As much as I hate "getting older", I'd look at bringing in Dan Boyle if he's healthy. He's 37, but on a two year deal he would be a nice stop-gap guy until Sproul or someone else is ready.

Kronwall - Ericsson

Boyle - Dekeyser

Kindl - Lashoff

That would be a relatively mistake-free D, with more offense then we're seeing this year.

I would definitely be on board for Dan Boyle. He would immediately help our puck movement and powerplay