• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Crashnburnluder

Varlamov Arrested

Rate this topic

In what world is your credibility not based on what you do, say and think? That's entirely what you base credibility on.

In real life your credibility is based on what you've done historically. Not recently. If Brezhnev said that the sun rises in the east, American politicians and media would have found something to dispute or denounce. And the other way around for Reagan.

Basically, whatever Russian politicos or media say or do, right or wrong, it is suspect in American eyes because of the history. I don't mean that to denigrate the US, they certainly have enough justification. But it is a fact of life.

If speaker Boehner or Obama come out saying that Russia passed the anti *** rights bill just so that US Olympians can't come to the Olympic Games I'd be all over that too. But no one in their right minds would say that and CNN would definitely not cover it like it was a plot. Political climate all over the world are different and politicians do cater to their constituents which in its own right is kinda sad. But if we wanted to discuss world politics I'm sure we would be in a different forum. With my first post I was simply pointing out the coverage this situation was getting in Russia. Whether politically motivated or not the comments got more attention than they deserved.

I totally agree with your last sentence. I just would encourage you not to assume responsibility for whatever Russian gov't or media do. You a Russian but you are not responsible for some a-*ole or bigoted fool just because they also happen to be Russian.You'll save a lot of nerve cells that way.

Decent people of all nations, unite!

Pick a news station, whether its cnn or fox or msnbc or any other news station that you watch, neither one of them would give credence to such a report which was part of my statement. It would be reported but dismissed as a conspiracy theory even if they cover it 24/7. They would not keep passing it off as fact just another conspiracy theory and the person saying it would get clobbered non-stop. And please In the future if you decide to quote me don't just pick out the statements that suit you, quote the entire post in context.

Edited by wings87

Pick a news station, whether its cnn or fox or msnbc or any other news station that you watch, neither one of them would give credence to such a report which was part of my statement. It would be reported but dismissed as a conspiracy theory even if they cover it 24/7. They would not keep passing it off as fact just another conspiracy theory and the person saying it would get clobbered non-stop. And please In the future if you decide to quote me don't just pick out the statements that suit you, quote the entire post in context.

If that is directed at me, I did quote your post in its entirety, and responded to the part that was a new argument, while the rest was just a stronger restatement of your previous argument.

I said all I wanted to on this issue. I can't add anything useful. See ya around :)

If that is directed at me, I did quote your post in its entirety, and responded to the part that was a new argument, while the rest was just a stronger restatement of your previous argument.

I said all I wanted to on this issue. I can't add anything useful. See ya around :)

Wasn't directed towards you it was directed at sleepwalker. The quoting didn't work for some reason. Plus he edited his post and deleted his comment.

But since you quoted my entire post, and I posted it under sleepwalker's post not sure how you could have thought it was directed towards you.

Edited by wings87

Officially charged with 3rd degree assault.

"I want the American government to defend me," she said. "I want everyone to know, all the fans to know, that he's not the great Semyon Varlamov. Great people don't beat up their women. They don't belittle them ... throw out like dogs. I want people to know this, that this man can be an animal."

LINK

I hope the NHL steps in and puts this criminal into prison for a long time. Seriously, assaulting your girlfriend? Unbelievable if indeed true.

The NHL can't put people into prison. lol

The article also indicates that this is a two-way street, and they both have a mutual history of this back and forth domestic crap. That doesn't excuse anything, but puts things into perspective, that this was just one more of many fights these two have gotten into.

I think we have all encountered a couple like this before in our life, where all they do is fight, argue and occasionally get into physical altercations...and yet they stay together, because they are both insane, or just love living in that type of environment.

The article also indicates that this is a two-way street, and they both have a mutual history of this back and forth domestic crap. That doesn't excuse anything, but puts things into perspective, that this was just one more of many fights these two have gotten into.

I think we have all encountered a couple like this before in our life, where all they do is fight, argue and occasionally get into physical altercations...and yet they stay together, because they are both insane, or just love living in that type of environment.

Like I said if its true, should have worded it differently I meant:

the police should put him in jail and the NHL or the Avalanche void his contract.

Lets assume he gets charged, if the Avalanche don't suspend this sorry human being I hope the NHL steps in and puts this criminal into prison for a long time. Seriously, assaulting your girlfriend? Unbelievable if indeed true.

Like I said if its true, should have worded it differently I meant:

the police should put him in jail and the NHL or the Avalanche void his contract.

There's really no need for comments like this until all the details have come out and the court has made a ruling.

Everyone knows domestic violence is a horrible thing. That's stating the obvious. Like Sleepwalker said, these situations are complex.

Let's not pretend to know what happened and jump to overboard conclusions.

There's really no need for comments like this until all the details have come out and the court has made a ruling.

Everyone knows domestic violence is a horrible thing. That's stating the obvious. Like Sleepwalker said, these situations are complex.

Let's not pretend to know what happened and jump to overboard conclusions.

I haven't done that nor will I, I just said IF true.

If anyone here has experience with the justice system, could they comment on what this means? If the DA decided to actually charge Varlamov, does that mean that the evidence is sufficiently strong for a reasonable chance of conviction, or could this be just a DA courting publicity, because the case involves a celebrity?

If anyone here has experience with the justice system, could they comment on what this means? If the DA decided to actually charge Varlamov, does that mean that the evidence is sufficiently strong for a reasonable chance of conviction, or could this be just a DA courting publicity, because the case involves a celebrity?

Edit: forget what I think will happen legally, and look at the positives...

The avs have found their head coach after Roy.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

From this law stuff from Denver:

Assault in the Third Degree

Third Degree Assault is defined as "knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury to another person." (In rare cases, a different definition is used based on accidentally causing injury with a deadly weapon.) Notice that there has to be "injury" in order for the charge to be supported. However, pain, by itself, constitutes injury - even if there was no physical damage to the person assaulted. As shown in the table above, the maximum sentence for this type of assault is two years in the county jail.

The evidence lead to the charge being laid. I seriously doubt that this will affect his induction into the HHoF.

Yep ^this a thousand times over.

Anyone know if the NHL or the Avs will take action against him now??

doesn't sound like the avs will.... at least if roy has any say in the matter:

“I thought it was positive for [Varlamov], but in the end I’m not a lawyer and I’m not a DA,” Roy told the Denver Post. “I think he needs to remain focused and we’ll see what transpires.

the "positive" thing was that he wasn't charged for kidnapping..

also, from the article....

As for his legal issues, the Russian ‘tender is scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 2. The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is apparently two years in county jail.

source: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/25/roy-thinks-its-positive-varlamov-avoided-kidnapping-charges/