• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

DENVER (CBS4) – The lawyer representing Colorado Avalanche Goalie Semyon Varlamov’s girlfriend says Varlamov beat her up in a drunken rage, and that similar incidents have happened in the pas

http://denver.cbsloc...appened-before/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=josEPIBNhEw

Edited by RedWingsRox, 31 October 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#42 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

DENVER (CBS4) – The lawyer representing Colorado Avalanche Goalie Semyon Varlamov’s girlfriend says Varlamov beat her up in a drunken rage, and that similar incidents have happened in the pas

http://denver.cbsloc...appened-before/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=josEPIBNhEw

Somebody is lying. She claims it was a drunken rage while other reports claim he was sober. It'll be interesting when all the details come out.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 01 November 2013 - 08:55 AM.
to remove deleted post

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#43 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Bottom line for me--we don't know what happened. Varlamov is innocent until proven guilty, and FOR GOD DAMN SURE so is his significant other.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 01 November 2013 - 08:55 AM.
remove deleted post

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#44 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I am definitely NOT excusing Varlamov if he actually did beat and kidnap his girl, but from the one story I have encountered first hand and others I have heard about over the years, most of these "kidnapping and assault" charges the cops conjure up are BS and not at all what the name of the charges would have you think.

The plural of anecdote is not data.  What happened to your friend is an absolute miscarriage of justice, but don't kid yourself into believing that what happened to him is the norm across the country, because it's not. 

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 01 November 2013 - 08:57 AM.
remove deleted post

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#45 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...king-girlfriend

Avs fans can relax.  He's going to get off with a slap on the wrist.  Celebrity status probably helps.  Too bad he's still a bad guy, JMO.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#46 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Personally I find what Varlamov is accused of to be even more reprehensible than vehicular manslaughter.

Someone who commits manslaughter had no intention of harming anyone, generally its a death as the result of an accident.

If Varlamov did the things he is accused of, its not an accident but a willful act intended to hurt a woman.

There are 2 sides to every story though and he has the right to defend himself so I'll wait until all the facts are out before casting any judgement on him.

#47 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

I've had friends screwed over on both sides of the issue- abuse victims who weren't helped and also victims of a judicial system that can (emphasis on can) be so to-the-letter anal that a crime is prosecuted where none existed.

Considering that what everything I've heard is conflicting, I'll wait for the movie.  (IOW wait to see how it ends and get the short version)

I still say people need to learn how to defend themselves.  This is not in any way blaming the victims; it is merely noting that assaults occur and need to be handled.  Although the legal system is there for dealing with things after the fact, a good weapon and/or self-defense class helps during the attack itself.  It may not be advisable every time, but it's good to be prepared.

When confronted by a goalie, go five-hole.  Hard.

#48 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

So uhhh Varley vs Howie. March 6th @ the Joe. Get err done Kenny! :P rivalry renewed!

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#49 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

He did raise a good point at the very end about how this is an isolated incident compared to other sports where this seems to happen weekly, even to the point where the crimes are worse ala Hernadez

#50 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

He did raise a good point at the very end about how this is an isolated incident compared to other sports where this seems to happen weekly, even to the point where the crimes are worse ala Hernadez

That's not the point though.. when things like this happen we shouldn't think of "varlamov the athlete" & only compare the incident to other athletes.. he's a person like any of us and what he did was wrong. There is no lessening the blame on him by blaming the victim.

Datsyukian

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#51 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

All right, people. Let's keep this about Varlamov. If it's going to be about abuse in general thus thread will ave to be moved. Also, keep the discussion from getting personal.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

I strongly second what VM1138 has posted.

We've spent way too much time cleaning up the garbage in the this thread so it's on a very short leash.

Any more off-topic, trolling or spamming posts and the thread gets locked and people get suspended. 

#53 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

CBJ's Tyutin had some strong (and awful imo) comments on the situation....

“I personally know Semyon very well. He is quite a true, considerate guy. As soon as I heard it all, I realized that it is all blown [out of proportion].

“It’s just American laws are on the women’s side, that’s why they can go to the police for any little thing, complain and bring a lot of problems to men.

“That’s why the only mistake of Semyon is that he got together with this girl.”

http://prohockeytalk...with-this-girl/

Datsyukian

adjective

#54 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

CBJ's Tyutin had some strong (and awful imo) comments on the situation....

http://prohockeytalk...with-this-girl/

I wouldn't call Tyutin's comments awful, but yeah definitely strong. First off he's biased. Varlamov is his friend, so he's obviously going to defend him. Second, he's foreign (I know he's spent a lot of time here), this isn't his home country or the laws he grew up with, so he may not appreciate or understand them like some of us do. That being said, he's not entirely wrong. The system has been abused by SOME women. No system is perfect.

All-in-all, Tyutin took a pretty extreme stance and probably should have just kept his mouth shut. The courts will figure this out and we'll see if Varly is truly at fault in due time.

Edited by number9, 05 November 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#55 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

All right, people. Let's keep this about Varlamov. If it's going to be about abuse in general thus thread will ave to be moved. Also, keep the discussion from getting personal.

I see what you (unintentionally) did there...

Such a shame this sort of thing happens because, regardless of the outcome, it sticks with players forever. Hope it's sorted speedily and justice, if necessary, is served.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#56 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

nm

Respectfully disagreed with FG's thought process but didn't want to open a can of worms.

Edited by Son of a Wing, 05 November 2013 - 05:20 PM.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#57 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

The story is next:

Varlamov's girlfriend had an affair with Steve Downie... Varlamov surprised them...

Varlamov was arrested and Downie traded couple of hours after...

Edit: Font size

Edited by Dominator2005, 08 November 2013 - 12:26 PM.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#58 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

The story is next:

Varlamov's girlfriend had an affair with Steve Downie... Varlamov surprised them...

Varlamov was arrested and Downie traded couple of hours after...

Edit: Font size

You're kidding, right?

If that was the case, she's get 2 minutes for Too Many Men and he'd get 2 minute for Third Man In and they'd just cancel each other out and go on with their lives.

#59 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

You're kidding, right?

If that was the case, she's get 2 minutes for Too Many Men and he'd get 2 minute for Third Man In and they'd just cancel each other out and go on with their lives.

Ahahahahaha! Post of the season so far :P well done.

Datsyukian

adjective

#60 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

You're kidding, right?

Does the intent to blow rule come in here?

Posted Image