• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Avs trade Downie to Flyers for Talbot

Rate this topic

"Maxime is a veteran forward who has won a Stanley Cup and has a lot of NHL experience," Avalanche Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic said. "We look forward to him bringing that experience to our club."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=689353&navid=DL|NHL|home

Am I the only one who doesn't get this move?

Nope. I'm really confused by this, Downie had played great with Duchene and O'Reilly in leading the Avs to the start they've had. Then then go and trade him out of the blue for a 3rd line center?? Stinks of lockeroom problems to me, Downies had a history but I hadn't heard about it since he went to Colorado. Very weird deal, obviously Philly got the best hockey player here.

I've gotta think there were some "issues" on both sides but neither side wants to lose that element they both bring. Otherwise, yeah, head-scratcher. Unless maybe the Avs wants a former Wings-killer (because, HA! We beat them! HAHAHA!) and Holmgren is just sort of an incompetent GM (shocking thought).

I actually think this makes more sense from the Avs perspective. In the long term at least.

Downey is a pending UFA and the Avs have a number of key RFAs to resign at the end of the year.

Talbot is a good bottom 6 guy who can play center or wing and is on a reasonable salary for the next few years.

They obviously didn't have plans to resign Downey so they flipped him for a piece that can contribute now.

Like almost any trade concerning a pending UFA, team with UFA = short term bonus, team with non-UFA = long-term bonus.

Have to consider more than just the names. Trades are made for financial reasons as much as they are for performance reasons

Guest Crymson

Perhaps there's more to the Avalanche than meets the eye.

That said, the Avs' success has been less the work of the skaters than the goalies behind them.

Perhaps there's more to the Avalanche than meets the eye.

That said, the Avs' success has been less the work of the skaters than the goalies behind them.

No doubt, their GA is insane, especially for team that is lacking on the back end.

Quincey for duchene sounds good to me :)

Nah, for a guy like Quincey, proven top 4 d-man a first round pick, or a prospect like MacKinnon would be more realistic ;)

A exchange of dummies.

Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh that you forgot the "n" after the "A" at the beginning of your sentence when you refer to those two as dummies. Seriously, no offense. I just got a chuckle out of it. :lol:

That being said, I couldn't agree more.