• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

This guy drives me nuts!! He has everything it takes to be a legit Power forward except for the heart... Have a read:

http://www.mlive.com...rberg_sa_2.html

Despite the lack of production, Franzen believes he’s playing well.

“I feel really effective, actually,’’ he said. “I had two good chances and scored on both of them this year, so it feels pretty good, actually.’’

What a joke

#2 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

I am glad he feels happy with TWO good chances.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#3 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Wow, two good chances in 13 games.  Let's give him an extension right now.  

I'm not even a Franzen hater but this guy is delusional lately.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#4 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

Funny that he thinks 2 good chances is good.... Funnier that he's surprised he's doing "good"

"I feel really effective, actually." -mule

Edited by amato, 01 November 2013 - 09:57 AM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#5 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

Maybe's he's not lazy. Maybe he's just dumb.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#6 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well, 2 for 2 is fairly effective... 

#7 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

This has been bothering me for a long time, is it just me?  Everytime I come on here I look at his face amongst all the other Wings' greats.  I'm okay with Datsyuk and Zetterberg being there, they are the current faces of the frachise and are worthy....but Franzen, to me, just looks so out of place.

#8 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

5k5gle4.gif

#9 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

This has been bothering me for a long time, is it just me?  Everytime I come on here I look at his face amongst all the other Wings' greats.  I'm okay with Datsyuk and Zetterberg being there, they are the current faces of the frachise and are worthy....but Franzen, to me, just looks so out of place.

Agreed. Should be Kronwall, may not be great, but a hell of a lot more deserving then happy go lucky Franzen.

#NOMOREKINDL

#10 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hard working,power forward like,Playoffs performer Franzen was way too injured Franzen.Maybe he's just prevented to play that type of game anymore due to all sort of injuries or he's just plain and simple lazy...who knows?

#11 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

The criticisms of Franzen are totally fair, so I get it.  But the reality is that while his contract isn't a good contract, it also a manageable enough cap hit to avoid it being a total disaster. 

The other thing about Franzen is that he's going to have knee problems because he already has and because of how he's built.  If he played like Ryan Kesler, would he be capable of banging his way to a 30-goal pace every year?  Very possibly.  But I also think he'd average about 25-40 games missed from injury every year.

The thing that irks Wings fans about Franzen is what people call "work rate" in soccer.  But there are some good strikers in soccer that have notoriously poor work rates, yet still put the ball in the net.  That's what Franzen is, or at least what he's supposed to be, in a streaky fashion.  He sticks out like sore thumb on a team on a team full of defensive minded forwards, but as great as 13 and 40 are, you will see them disappear for weeks at a time from the scoresheet.  That was made Marian Hossa (IMO) such a great Red Wing during the '09 season, he carried that team for weeks in the regular season when nobody else was scoring.  Then his shoulder tore apart in the Playoffs and he skated in circles.  But Franzen was never as good as Hossa, nor was he ever as expensive.  He literally cost almost half the price from a cap standpoint, so the comparison is ridiculous.

Also, if he just has a TERRIBLE year (which I don't think he will), isn't compliance buyout still an option after 2014?  Provided of course he isn't on the IR.  My opinion remains that I'm not going to dwell on him until that window has closed.  I think fans are right to worry about what's ahead, but the contract is what it is, and it's not killing us right now.

Edited by StormJH1, 01 November 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#12 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Could've had Hossa.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#13 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

If he played like Ryan Kesler, would he be capable of banging his way to a 30-goal pace every year?  Very possibly.  But I also think he'd average about 25-40 games missed from injury every year.

Sounds like a fantastic bargain.  Sign me up.

works every time

#14 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

should just be this....

hudler5.jpg

edit: he'd have to be in grey though since he's no longer with the wings :P

Edited by amato, 01 November 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#15 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Our offense has dried up so much that I actually kinda sorta miss Hudler.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#16 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

If Franzen really thinks he's only had two good chances then he truly isn't a goal scorer because he doesn't understand what a good chance actually is.

Which would be all fine and good except his contract is terrible and it was given to him in great part because of his goal scoring.  And yes, I know the cap hit is low but that's like buying a $100,000 car and saying the payments are low because you financed it for 11 years.  They didn't give him $43 million because he's a solid two way forward who can chip in a few goals.  They gave it to the guy who put up 59 points and had 23 points in the postseason.

Kenny Holland at the time of the contract:

"His production over the past year and a half, both regular season and playoffs, has been remarkable and we feel, at 29 years old, that he is just now entering the prime of his career," said general manager Ken Holland.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4061069

The reality is Franzen's best years were apparently all ready behind him.

#17 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

This guy is freakin' 10 ply and makes me sick watching him. Nothing worse than wasted potential.

#18 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,455 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

Useless...

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#19 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

I believe Franzen was scratched last game because of his play.  It was kept quiet in the media, claimed as an injury.  But this was a move by Babcock and company to get the Mule going.  Now Zetterberg said he is expecting a better Mule.

#20 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

Should be Fedorov or Kronwall or Hasek or Ozzie or Howard. Or Hudler.

Don't Toews me, bro!