• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Philly Capitals line brawl

Rate this topic

That pic makes it look like an actual fight and not the mugging it was. I think this one is more representative.

post-4338-0-20955300-1383505316_thumb.jp

It's why I had no problem with Kessel's BC two-handers when John Scott jumped him. Had he actually tried to even just get through a fight with Scott it would've looked a lot like what Emery did to Holtby.

Holtby unfortunately had the bigger goal stick and Emery is well protected from any slash.

And that wasn't old time hockey. The rest of the fights maybe, but not this. If it were at least two or three guys would've jumped Emery and started pounding on him, refs or not. Or he would've got run later in the game like he deserved.

That pic makes it look like an actual fight and not the mugging it was. I think this one is more representative.

attachicon.gifdirtbag.jpg

It's why I had no problem with Kessel's BC two-handers when John Scott jumped him. Had he actually tried to even just get through a fight with Scott it would've looked a lot like what Emery did to Holtby.

Holtby unfortunately had the bigger goal stick and Emery is well protected from any slash.

And that wasn't old time hockey. The rest of the fights maybe, but not this. If it were at least two or three guys would've jumped Emery and started pounding on him, refs or not. Or he would've got run later in the game like he deserved.

I agree that goalie fight was ridiculous and I've always hated Emery but with Kessel wasn't he mouthing off?

Well in Kessel's case he was up against a beast + he is a skilled guy not an enforcer. Would he have accepted, I am sure Scott wouldn't have punched him as hard as he can but none the less he did the right thing, by defending himself with the stick.

Holtby should heavily looking into assault charges, of course Shanahan does nothing because Snider is in the NHL buddybuddy club.

I love fighting and I think it has to be part of the game, it's entertaining but ASSAULT =/= fighting.I mean, the other two fights meh heat of the moment and injuries can happen but this one was just a disgrace.

The TSN panel talked about how it is impossible to differ between a good and a bad fight, it is really not hard: good fight = two *willing* guys bad fight = Emery.

Well in Kessel's case he was up against a beast + he is a skilled guy not an enforcer. Would he have accepted, I am sure Scott wouldn't have punched him as hard as he can but none the less he did the right thing, by defending himself with the stick.

Holtby should heavily looking into assault charges, of course Shanahan does nothing because Snider is in the NHL buddybuddy club.

I love fighting and I think it has to be part of the game, it's entertaining but ASSAULT =/= fighting.I mean, the other two fights meh heat of the moment and injuries can happen but this one was just a disgrace.

The TSN panel talked about how it is impossible to differ between a good and a bad fight, it is really not hard: good fight = two *willing* guys bad fight = Emery.

You're well aware of my position on fighting by now. I want to make it clear that it is not because of these types of incidents that I oppose fighting. I totally agree that this is noting more than assault. It would be disingenuous to tie this incident to the broader issue of fighting in hockey.

I know people here will disagree with me, but if I played for the Caps, I would have done what McSorley did to Brashear, and used Emery's head for a baseball.

Can't just stand around and watch your teammate get mugged.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Can't wait till the real tough guys are getting to face this idiot, hopefully one of Thornton, Kassasian or Smackintyre is going to ring his bell more than a few times.

Emery beat Josh Gratton in a fight, and had a good fight with Andrew Peters, after he already had a fight moments earlier with Martin Biron.

So he has fought "real" tough guys before.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I know people here will disagree with me, but if I played for the Caps, I would have done what McSorley did to Brashear, and used Emery's head for a baseball.

Can't just stand around and watch your teammate get mugged.

I'd have to agree. If I was a coach and Emery was doing that to my goalie, and everyone else was tied up, you bet your ass I'd be yelling at the toughest guy on my bench to hop out there and haul off on his face.

Some 3rd/4th line scrub will run Emery next time they meet, and deservedly so. And knowing the Flyers, they'll play Emery so they have more news about the team than just their horrible team record and mentally handicapped GM.

You're well aware of my position on fighting by now. I want to make it clear that it is not because of these types of incidents that I oppose fighting. I totally agree that this is noting more than assault. It would be disingenuous to tie this incident to the broader issue of fighting in hockey.

I also oppose fighting, so this is kind of friendly fire, but I disagree that an incident like the Flyers linebrawl and Emery/Holtby in particular aren't related to the broader culture of allowing fighting in hockey. The obvious comeback to that is that if you didn't allow fighting at all (by punishing it so severely as to effectively eradicated it from the sport), "assaults" like this one wouldn't be possible. Yes, you still get Ron Artest vs. the Pistons (and fans) once in awhile, no matter what the rules. But those are extreme, and extremely rare examples.

But the more subtle reason why I think the discussions are linked is that the actions of everyone in this thing flow directly from the idea that fighting is a chivalrous, honorable, and noble tradition of the game...

The linesman standing and watching Holtby get his head bashed in from behind isn't intervening because he's been conditioned to believe this is normal.

Emery wouldn't have had the thought of approaching Holtby except that he has illusions of being a boxer and plays in the sport where the only punishment for that is a 5-minute major in garbage time.

And unlike a baseball player, soccer player, or virtually any other athlete, Holtby only feels the obligation to try and fight Emery because fighting is still an accepted and celebrated part of the game, and you aren't really a man if you aren't up to the challenge of a fight. This is the reason Sidney Crosby was fighting in the Playoffs only months after missing a year with a concussion.

The thing about this is that what the hell would Emery have done if he had, say, paralysed Holtby by punching him in the back of the neck? "Well I told him to defend himself..." He doesn't think about this s***. It's different if you're in a stand up fight with someone I guess as you're hitting face, but punching the back of the head isn't smart. It's the softest part and is dangerously close to the neck. The guy's a douchebag and should be treated as such (probably will next time these teams meet).

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

Flyers Say Brawl Has United The Team

They're such a joke. I hope they tank the rest of the season and lose the lottery.

Bottom of the barrel goons. That is all.

But hey, in a city like Philly, you don't have to win games to sell tickets, you just have to punch people in the back of the head.

I really hope they get desperate and trade another one of their stars.

Those wannabe goons and their thug deserve a closer look from the real tough teams in this league. Washington should do what the Islanders did against the Penguins and call up some enforcers the next time they meet.

Edited by frankgrimes