• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

As others have already mentioned...Flyers GM Holmgren is on the 'hot seat' more ways than one...

The team sucks - they goon it up (in a rather unsavory fashion I might add - mind you I still enjoy the pugilistic side of the game) - and as Harold pointed out - I'm certain Holmgren had words with both the coaching staff, and players.

To me - this has suspensions, and fines written all over it...Can we possibly ship Franzen, and maybe Smith (or player/s 'X') to land Giroux before Holmgren is relieved of his duties?

I honestly don't believe it will happen, but just think if it did.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

I always thought the Emery hate was overblown. He proved me wrong. That was absolutely gutless. He got shellacked 4/15 shots, he should be embarrassed. Put that effort into your game. What a clown.

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:46 AM

Absolutely disgusting.

I've always been on the record as being totally against the "getting blown out so start a fight mentality".  You suck, take it like a man, and go out and try harder next time.

But this is a new low, and of course it has to be Philly.  Their management, fans and media have created this culture and mindset.  Coach, GM and Emery all deserve fines and suspensions.  The asshat journalist who made Emery 3rd star also deserves to be suspended, but as they self-righteously never cease to remind us, journalists believe themselves above criticism and beyond the law.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

Why did Downie lead with his face?

Too late for "trade-backs"?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#25 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

If you watch Schenn was picking a fight with Urbom, he reaches over and grabs Urbom's helmet strap to whip it off his head (which it did) and then started throwing. I mean, I know fighters try to rip each other's lid off, lesser chance of breaking a hand. However, it seems to me that this action is on the same level as something similar to a sucker punch. They were in each others face and chirping but in a split second he flips the lid and starts wailing when it seemed like Urbom didn't want to fully thrown down. Just an observation.

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

According to Paul HOlmgren Berube is a no BS kind of guy? The funny thing is, the Flyers also lost the fights, minus the thug who shouldn't even be in the league (made it even easier to hate the Hawks and now Flyers): Downie conussion, Lecalvalier facial injury...the only guy I am giving kudos is Brayden Schenn not a fighter but just tried to mix it up too that takes balls.

I am sure Carter and Richards are nowadays extremely happy with being out of this gongshow, introduced with Holmgren and Snider. If they are stupid enough to trade Giroux, Kenny has to be all over this the guy has generational talent and is still fairly young.

Edited by frankgrimes, 02 November 2013 - 06:55 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#27 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

Philly gets blown out by the Caps, an all out brawl ensues. 

Emery skates the length of the ice to fight Holtby, who wants no part of him.  The ref stands and watches as Emery throws haymakers at the back of Holtby's head.  Unbelievable. 

Emery is a nutjob and a disgrace.  After the game he admitted that Holtby didn't want to fight him.  Emery said he told him to protect himself, and that Holtby didn't have a choice.

Downie left the game on a stretcher with a concussion from the fight.  Lecavalier left the game with a facial injury from his fight.

Just when you thought Philly couldn't be more of a joke right now.

Damn old time hockey and I missed it.

#28 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

I like Holtby.  He seems like a good kid.  He fights like a girl, but he seems like a good kid.  Someone get him some boxing lessons. 

Obviously the official should have broken it up once it was clear that Holtby didn't want to go, but at the same time, I'm disappointed in him for not answering the bell.  Better to stand and lose; at least you have your pride.

I don't get why Emery had to fight there.  It wasn't like the others had all paired off and were fighting, in which case, he wouldn't have had a partner.  It's good for goalies to fight each other (as opposed to goalie vs skater) since their padding is the same, but only if both want to go.  If Holtby declines, call him a kitty and move on to another partner.

#29 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

I have no problem with fighting, line brawls or brawls of any kind. Just so long as all combatants are willing or haven't done anything on a Lemieux scale to deserve a beating.

The only thing you can say in defence of Emery was that he held back. Those punches he threw were pretty weak so he obviously knew what he was doing was wrong. Following orders?

Apart from the ridiculous goalie fight that was a pretty good brawl. At least Holtby was all smiles afterwards. To call for suspensions out of this is a bit over the top.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,246 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

I have no problem with fighting, line brawls or brawls of any kind. Just so long as all combatants are willing or haven't done anything on a Lemieux scale to deserve a beating.

The only thing you can say in defence of Emery was that he held back. Those punches he threw were pretty weak so he obviously knew what he was doing was wrong. Following orders?

Apart from the ridiculous goalie fight that was a pretty good brawl. At least Holtby was all smiles afterwards. To call for suspensions out of this is a bit over the top.

I'm  not sure exactly how you're able to gauge the force of the punches from a youtube video, but when a guy is punching an unwilling participant in the back of the head and still trying to hit him when it's being broken up, it's not holding back.

I think a suspension for Emery is unlikely but absolutely deserved.

This isn't Vernon or Osgood fighting Roy.  That happened at center ice and the first one was Roy coming out to stick up for a teammate.  Emery skates the length of the rink to beat the snot out of someone who didn't want to go.  Emery is a goalie but he's tough enough that it's not that different from an enforcer dropping gloves with a non-fighter and pounding him.

All the other fights were pathetic by the Flyers too, but not that big of a deal ultimately.  The team is just a mess.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid.  Wanna know the best way to get fighting out of the game?  Make sure every fight is pointless (Orr vs. Parros) or barbaric (Emery vs. Holtby).  Not a single fight in this very short NHL season has been necessary. 

As a matter of fact, wanna know what fight would have been necessary?  The one where some Washington goon went out to protect his goalie who was getting pummeled by Ray Emery and didn't want to fight.  What's that?  Such a fight never happened?  I rest my case.

I don't know if I'd say every fight has been pointless but mostly agree.

And it didn't help that the ref was actively keeping Washington players from stepping in.  They should've ignored him, but still.

#31 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Damn old time hockey and I missed it.

My only real beef is the fact that there may have been a few guys on the Caps (Holtby in particular) who were on the ice, and aren't accustomed to getting involved in fights, and are then 'jumped'...The 'Old School Knuckle Dragger' in me thinks that was a pretty low brow move by Emery, and unless you're Matt Cooke/Ulf Samuelsson/Claude Lemieux/etc/etc - you do not deserve that sort of treatment.

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,246 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

I like Holtby.  He seems like a good kid.  He fights like a girl, but he seems like a good kid.  Someone get him some boxing lessons. 

Obviously the official should have broken it up once it was clear that Holtby didn't want to go, but at the same time, I'm disappointed in him for not answering the bell.  Better to stand and lose; at least you have your pride.

I don't get why Emery had to fight there.  It wasn't like the others had all paired off and were fighting, in which case, he wouldn't have had a partner.  It's good for goalies to fight each other (as opposed to goalie vs skater) since their padding is the same, but only if both want to go.  If Holtby declines, call him a kitty and move on to another partner.

If it were any other goalie in the league, I'd agree.  But Emery is a beast.  Remember him pounding Biron, then going with Peters immediately afterwards and not only holding his own but is laughing the whole time?

Emery is too good of a fighter to be going after a goalie who clearly doesn't want to go.

#33 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

To make it even more pathetic, the Flyers press named Emery the 3rd star of the game. 

He had a .733 Save %, so they sure weren't giving it to him for his goaltending.

he fought for the fans, who seemed to love it...

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#34 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

If it were any other goalie in the league, I'd agree.  But Emery is a beast.  Remember him pounding Biron, then going with Peters immediately afterwards and not only holding his own but is laughing the whole time?

Emery is too good of a fighter to be going after a goalie who clearly doesn't want to go.

Speaking of laughing...https://www.youtube....h?v=MJshJaGYk54

Your moniker was 1 crazy guy - :lol:

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

he fought for the fans, who seemed to love it...

Well - that might be true, but ya know it's pretty bad when all you got to cheer for is watching your goalie beat up the other teams goalie...It's sort of on the same level of some drunken goof sitting in his weathered lawn chair on the front yard laughing his a$$ off while watching his bully of a son beat up the kid from across the street.

It might make ya feel good for a few minutes, but in reality it's a pretty bad situation.

#36 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Even Flyers fans are getting embarrassed by this..

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,246 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Speaking of laughing...https://www.youtube....h?v=MJshJaGYk54

Your moniker was 1 crazy guy - :lol:

:lol:  he definitely was.

It takes a certain kind of crazy to laugh in the face of Wendel Clark as he's swinging at you.

#38 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

If the Flyers fire sale is coming soon, I hope Kenny offers something for Wayne Simmonds, would be a great fit here.

As far as Emery... There's no need for that, Holtby is a 3rd year guy, absolutely not a fighter, and you go and pound the head off him because you couldn't stop a beach ball? Not right. There's guys on Washington who I'm sure would've answered the bell with Emery, it's a weird situation, but Emery is no normal goalie. He's a tough SOB, and he's nuts. The Caps who were on the ice should be embarrassed with themselves with no jumping to his defense, no he wasn't hurt, but he could've been. Also, anyone surprised by any of this is crazy. With Holmgren as the GM and Craig frickin Berube as the coach, makes sense.

#NOMOREKINDL

#39 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Wow. What the hell is the Ref doing during the goalie-"fight" ? I do boxing and if my opponent or me don't even try to defend ourselfs properly the fight is broken up. Why ? Because its damn dangerous. I don't like fighting in hockey but I accept it as part of the sport. But this is way, way over the top. The NHL need to get rid of such assholes like Emry who apparently aren't able to control themselves or , much worse, don't care about the health of other players at all. And it's not just dangerous, it's an embarrassed for the League. Try to convince friends that Hockey is a great sport when s*** like this happens.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#40 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

Always wondered why Emery doesn't just move to 4th line winger.

And as others have said, yes he's af****** idiot.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.