76 replies to this topic

#41 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

:lol:  he definitely was.

It takes a certain kind of crazy to laugh in the face of Wendel Clark as he's swinging at you.

That link wont load for me, what are you guys referring to?

#42 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,060 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Apologies if this has already been posted:

Screen_Shot_2013-11-01_at_9.27.53_PM.png

Don't Toews me, bro!

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,060 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Also, I'm actually serious about trading for Giroux. Getterdun, Ken.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

They can't ban Emery for fighting. The Don Cherrys in the media who are fanatically pro-fighting would lose their minds. FYI, I want to keep fighting in the game, but this was a couple steps below assault (in a legal sense). 

Karma got the Flyers though. That punk Downie ate a great punch and hopefully Cashgrabvalier is out too. 

I want to see what Grapes has to say tonight about this tonight.

I have a feeling he is gonna try to say Emery didn't have a choice ("I know how hard it is") as the GM came down. And then turn around and state it was stupid to do.

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

I want to see what Grapes has to say tonight about this tonight.

I have a feeling he is gonna try to say Emery didn't have a choice ("I know how hard it is") as the GM came down. And then turn around and state it was stupid to do.

He'll predictably downplay how pointless it all was, try to deflect some of the responsibility away from the players and onto the management or the "code", and ultimately use it to make some semi-intelligible point to "the kids" about honor.  Also predictably, it's going to make me want to puke when I see it. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: After looking at it and discussing it internally for last 24 hrs, NHL has decided not to suspend Ray Emery. Simply put ... (con't)

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ... current rulebook as it stands doesn't back any suspension for this. Obviously league doesn't like what it saw last night but ...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ... there's just nothing in rulebook for supplemental discipline for that fight

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#47 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

The Flyers are a joke of an organization.  When they got rid of Carter and Richards to the far corners of hockey hell (LA and Columbus) it showed what a classless organization they were (and look who had the last laugh 9 months later).  Holmgren, Clarke, Berube, Snyder are azz clowns, plain and simple.  Their roster has more changes in a season then costumes worn by Lady Gaga on tour...good luck winning there butt tools...

I liked Ray Emery but what he did was gutless (cue Don Cherry), and I would be surprised if Grapes doesn't call it that.  Emery is a boxer, Holtby is a girl...you don't beat women...

I love fighting, big time, but the Flyers are a joke, and I never wish anyone being hurt in a game (because that's not cool), but the Flyers deserved to have Downie and Vinnie hurt for this.  If Emery breaks his hip (again) it's only Karma from here on out.

#48 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

The NHL and their super Rulebook. Buffalo got fined for player selection which is also not in the rule-book. They are just a bunch of wannabes thugs so hopefully some of the real tough teams are going to go bananas against the Flyers. Maybe Orr or Mcgrattan could run emery fair is fair. Those thugs are exactly the reason why enforcers are needed otherwise they coupled with agitators are going out of control and the league will just watch.

Edited by frankgrimes, 02 November 2013 - 05:34 PM.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#49 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

So after got punched 10+ times at the back of the head,Holtby put a big grin on his face,his mask on and continued to frustrate the silly Flyers to the of the game...awesome  :lol: 

#50 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

Even Flyers fans are getting embarrassed by this..

I find it hard to believe the biggest ******* fanbase in pro sports gets embarrassed. The biggest **** move was done by Schenn. Not only does he fight with his visor still on but just before the fight he flicks off Urbom helmet and then starts wailing on him before Urbom gets a chance to do the same.

#51 SensViking

SensViking

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Ray certainly had his ups and downs while a Sen...and I'll admit I liked the showdown with Biron this one just lacks class.

Here's another gem from the classless archive:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gUPVq04O8JQ

#52 brandon27

brandon27

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Emery is a joke.  He doesn't belong in the league, and that's based on his lack of talent, and lack of control for himself.  He's a disgrace to the game... again.

Posted Image

#53 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:28 AM

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: After looking at it and discussing it internally for last 24 hrs, NHL has decided not to suspend Ray Emery. Simply put ... (con't)

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ... current rulebook as it stands doesn't back any suspension for this. Obviously league doesn't like what it saw last night but ...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ... there's just nothing in rulebook for supplemental discipline for that fight

What a joke.  The Kovulchuck contract was also within the rules, yet Bettman decided to rip the Devils a new ******* but ignore the Zetterberg, Hossa, Luongo, Pronger etc contracts.

Still, pretty clever of the Flyers to start it all with 7 minutes left, AFAIK the "suspensions for starting fights in blowouts unless your name is Evgeni Malkin" rule only applies to the last 5 minutes.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#54 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

I like fights in hockey, but that goes with the assumption that the participants are willing combatants.  What transpired in the Philadelphia-Washington game, specifically with Emery charging down the ice and mugging Holtby, isn't something that belongs in the game.  Hockey's a violent game for tough guys, but nothing is less manly than throwing a temper tantrum on the ice because you stink.  Emery should absolutely have been suspended for that assault.

#55 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

Give Emery credit; he was able to skate off the ice.

For the future, two words: Rule change.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

The ref that stood there and watched Holtby get punched in the back of the head repeatedly should be fired and never ref in the NHL again.  How's that for player safety?  Emery is a clown.  

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#57 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

EmeryHoltbyFight.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#58 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

That pic makes it look like an actual fight and not the mugging it was.  I think this one is more representative.

Attached File  dirtbag.jpg   42.33KB   11 downloads

It's why I had no problem with Kessel's BC two-handers when John Scott jumped him.  Had he actually tried to even just get through a fight with Scott it would've looked a lot like what Emery did to Holtby. 

Holtby unfortunately had the bigger goal stick and Emery is well protected from any slash. 

And that wasn't old time hockey.  The rest of the fights maybe, but not this.  If it were at least two or three guys would've jumped Emery and started pounding on him, refs or not.  Or he would've got run later in the game like he deserved.

#59 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

Also, I'm actually serious about trading for Giroux. Getterdun, Ken.

his cap hit for the next 8 years is stupid or id be on board. what would it take franzen and smith + pick?

#60 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

That pic makes it look like an actual fight and not the mugging it was.  I think this one is more representative.

attachicon.gifdirtbag.jpg

It's why I had no problem with Kessel's BC two-handers when John Scott jumped him.  Had he actually tried to even just get through a fight with Scott it would've looked a lot like what Emery did to Holtby. 

Holtby unfortunately had the bigger goal stick and Emery is well protected from any slash. 

And that wasn't old time hockey.  The rest of the fights maybe, but not this.  If it were at least two or three guys would've jumped Emery and started pounding on him, refs or not.  Or he would've got run later in the game like he deserved.

I agree that goalie fight was ridiculous and I've always hated Emery but with Kessel wasn't he mouthing off?