Announcer Ozzie

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 LoveMyWings

LoveMyWings

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Geez I'm having trouble hearing and understanding Ozzie during the game. It makes it really frustrating to watch since I miss half of the conversation.

#2 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

Oh yeah.  For sure. 

At the same time, and I ask this as innocently as possible:  Were you around during Larry Murphy's first few years as a analyst?  My goodness.

Compared to that, Ozzie's having a decent rookie year. 

#3 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

Totally intelligible to me.  He's even a little funny sometimes.  Big upgrade over Murphy.

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have no trouble understanding him.

#5 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

I like him but he does speak a bit quietly and sometimes goes on for too long instead of making quick points and letting Ken get back to it.

#6 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I really enjoy him, he gets away from the game sometimes, but at least he's funny when he's doing it. Wouldn't mind him moving between the benches permanently with Ken and Mick at home.

#NOMOREKINDL

#7 Sabaton617

Sabaton617

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

I like him but he does speak a bit quietly and sometimes goes on for too long instead of making quick points and letting Ken get back to it.

Agree with those points and tends to be repetitive. 

#8 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

He tends to be dry. Almost like a second play by play guy, but he's brand new to it. At least he can formulate a sentence unlike Murphy, Haha.

He'll get better soon. He already looks more comfortable than he did a few weeks ago, and the natural storytelling comes with experience.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#9 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

I think the fast way Ozzie speaks causes him to get ahead of his thoughts and causes him to make mistakes, it constantly feels like he's rushing. He's also too straight forward and only talks about the game how about a story ones in a awhile. Having said all that, I like how knowledgeable he is, Ozzie was a great goalie and really understands the game. With more games under his belt he should get better I'm just not sure his speaking style makes him an ideal commentator.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#10 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Its funny cause we used to crack on Murph for sounding drunk a lot, but the way Ozzie sounds to me is the same way the people I know who take adderal (or coke) sound.  They talk very fast and their words run together and sound mumbly or stuttery at times.

#11 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Oz just needs to relax and be Oz and he'll be just fine.

#12 txhoo12

txhoo12

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Calamari anyone?

#13 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Calamari anyone?

Too funny! I wasn't sure if anyone else caught this. I wasn't on the boards at the time to see if anyone mentioned it.

#14 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

He sounds a lot like Paul Woods without all of the "uhhh".

#15 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Understand him fine, he does kinda sound like paul woods, he isn't too much of a homer.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#16 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Where's the other "color" commentator been?  The guy who always goes, "Oh boy" and "Geez Louise"

My experience of Ozzie has been that he reads straight from the sheets.  And that he doesn't have the best chemistry with his parter.

#17 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

hahaha he totally does drag things out sometimes, it's actually pretty funny. He gets on a topic and just runs with it.

#18 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Where's the other "color" commentator been?  The guy who always goes, "Oh boy" and "Geez Louise".

Thatd be the great Sir Mickey Redmond. You address him as sir and you bow in his presence.

#19 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

Thatd be the great Sir Mickey Redmond. You address him as sir and you bow in his presence.

Love Mick, i still laugh at the "hook,hook, another hooker" line he had several years ago.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

He's just very inexperienced.  It's actually a lot harder than it looks to talk that much in a concise, coherent way. 

He'll get better.