• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,745 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm an Ozzie lover, so I'm biased in his favour, but if I'm going to have a complaint,it is that I have trouble hearing him.  If my volume could go any higher, I'd crank it, but there's only one "loudest" setting. He has a quiet voice.  He always had it in interviews, so it's not surprising he has it in the booth.

Good Canadian boy. 

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#22 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Ozzie is a little on the dry side but improving.  Darren Elliot was the same when he started--very straight forward--and look how far he's come.  He actually cracks a smile now and then. :tounge2:   Seriously, though, I'd say just give him time.  I do like how he talks up all the GR kids.  The only thing that drives me nuts is that he says Franzen like Pierre McGuire does, and I hate being reminded of that dou*che more than is necessary, especially when I don't have to suffer through games on NBC.  You'd think having worked with Franzen for that many years and having a locker a couple spots down from him, Ozzie'd be able to pronounce it correctly!  Must be a Canadian thing?

Edited by Miss Wing Queen, 03 November 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#23 RedStormRising

RedStormRising

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

He makes watching games far less enjoyable for me.

#24 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Love Mick, i still laugh at the "hook,hook, another hooker" line he had several years ago.

Im partial to the "Holy Jumpin, Lookout, and Datsyuk's got his black mask on out there tonight." Aswell as when he refers to us the viewers as "gang". Ive always wanted to be a part of a gang, and Mick is kind enough to do that for me.

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Im partial to the "Holy Jumpin, Lookout, and Datsyuk's got his black mask on out there tonight." Aswell as when he refers to us the viewers as "gang". Ive always wanted to be a part of a gang, and Mick is kind enough to do that for me.

Everything Mick says is just pure greatness :) I'll miss him when he's gone

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#26 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Everything Mick says is just pure greatness :) I'll miss him when he's gone

We dont speak of such things. Let me live in my perfect world where Mick stays the same age forever.

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

He's just very inexperienced.  It's actually a lot harder than it looks to talk that much in a concise, coherent way. 

He'll get better.

Exactly.

At the same time, he can of course do whatever he wants to do but I'd personally much rather have him as a goalie development coach/goalie-team liaison to eventually replace Jim Bedard.  From the outside looking in it seems like Ozzie would be perfect for that role.

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

....he sucks.

Manny should have gotten the job.  He interviewed for it and the chose Ozzie instead.  Manny is currently doing college games on FSD.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#29 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

I always thought Draper would be better suited to it than Osgood.  He's always been more conversational and had more of a camera presence than Osgood.  Not sure if he was interested, but I think he would be better at it.  Agree that it is much harder than it looks, which is why you really have to appreciate those that make it sound so easy.

#30 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

I think Ozzie is doing a great job and will only get better. You can't really compare Ozzie and Mick. Mick has 200 years worth of stories, Ozzie only has about 20.

#31 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

#32 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

....he sucks.

Manny should have gotten the job.  He interviewed for it and the chose Ozzie instead.  Manny is currently doing college games on FSD.

Legace shouldn't be allowed on FSD at all after the debacle in 06. (I hold grudges)

#NOMOREKINDL

#33 Wingooni_19

Wingooni_19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hopefully he will improve!

#34 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,155 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

Ozzie is a little on the dry side but improving.

I think this is actually my biggest knock against him. But it's just nerves and inexperience, a matter of comfort. We know he's not as boring and dry as he comes off as being.

As others have said, he'll get better.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#35 DRAPES RULES

DRAPES RULES

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

The Fraaaahzen and the Jaycub Kindl are drivin' me nuts ! come on Ozzie !

This is "Katie Bar The Door Type of Hockey" -Mickey Redman

"It's only Rock and Roll, But I like it "- Mick Jagger

"DAVE IS A KILLER! "- The Hanson Brotherswinggirl.jpg

#36 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:55 AM

I didn't read the whole thread, but does anyone else think he's a little too much of a homer sometimes?

Obviously he'll improve and its going to be awesome when he starts to feel more comfortable and sows more of his humorous side

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#37 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Osgood pronounces Franzen's last name the way Franzen pronounces his last name.  (Also note that Franzen pronounces his first name with a hard J): http://youtu.be/GnE7obede_A?t=1m5s

#38 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,745 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Osgood pronounces Franzen's last name the way Franzen pronounces his last name.  (Also note that Franzen pronounces his first name with a hard J): http://youtu.be/GnE7obede_A?t=1m5s

Wow! What a trip down memory lane.  Ozzie looks 12 in that video.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#39 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

i havn't had much problem with ozzie so far but i was watching one of the weekend games and in the intro when they had the up close shot of him and ken, and ozzie looked soooo awkward and uncomfortable. i'm sure it will take a little while getting used to have that camera right up in your business like it is for that shot.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#40 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

Not to take anything away from Ozzie and Murph, but it really makes me appreciate how difficult commentating can be, and how phenomenal Mickey Redmond is at his position.