• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Hell Toupee

Hell Toupee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Osgood pronounces Franzen's last name the way Franzen pronounces his last name.  (Also note that Franzen pronounces his first name with a hard J): http://youtu.be/GnE7obede_A?t=1m5s

That's him accomodating the non-swedish speakers. That's definitely not how his name is actually pronounced.

#42 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

That's him accomodating the non-swedish speakers. That's definitely not how his name is actually pronounced.

Osgood isn't Swedish.

#43 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Calamari anyone?

Perhaps he's just a big Star Wars fan?

#44 Hell Toupee

Hell Toupee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Osgood isn't Swedish.

But Johan Franzen is, and I thought the discussion was about how to pronounce his name, not Osgoods. Maybe I misunderstood.

#45 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm probably biased to start with because I always liked Osgood as a goaltender and person when he was a player, but I have mostly neutral-to-good impressions of him from what I've heard thus far.  Ken Daniels has enough energy and verbiage to carry most color man, but yeah, obviously Ken and Mickey back in the day are the preferred tandem.  

I guess I just don't expect that much from the color announcer on a local broadcast, let alone one in his first year of media.  He's been at least passable, and being a goaltender offers a perspective that many "hockey guys" don't have.

#46 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

I thought the discussion was about "Announcer Ozzie"  :lol:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#47 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

....he sucks.

Manny should have gotten the job.  He interviewed for it and the chose Ozzie instead.  Manny is currently doing college games on FSD.

Ozzie is beloved in Detroit for his long stretch with the organization, for his two Stanley Cups, and for his likeable personality. Many fans probably won't even remember who Manny Legace is; for those who do, he is best known for his incredible collapse in the 2006 playoffs.

#48 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

I don't like him, Doesn't know his teammates names, goes on too long about the same boring point, seems to flustered talking (somebody get him a joint or a xanax!)  He'll get better eventually, I just hate waiting for it. Too bad Lidstrom (or LiNdstrom as ozzie says, seriously!) doesn't want to do it!

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#49 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Ozzie is beloved in Detroit for his long stretch with the organization, for his two Stanley Cups, and for his likeable personality. Many fans probably won't even remember who Manny Legace is; for those who do, he is best known for his incredible collapse in the 2006 playoffs.

That and for talking trash about Scotty Bowman, something about him having the personality of an ant. No thanks to Legace.

#50 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Love Mick, i still laugh at the "hook,hook, another hooker" line he had several years ago.

"Two minutes for playing hockey."

Still can't believe they canned Murph. He was a character with great game insights. Bad on Fox.

Manny Legacy will be most remembered for leaving his custom Harley in the showroom of Farmington Harley Davidson during the season. It was kind of cool to go see and I'm an enduro rider that knows Harley's are lame.

#51 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

I love Ozzie and he's very insightful but he seems really monotone and doesn't get excited when any goals are scored.

#52 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

One more day until I get to bask in the velvetty glory that is Mickey's play by play. Its what keeps me goin.

#53 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Legace is far too unstable to handle the ups and downs of a sports broadcast.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#54 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Legace is far too unstable to handle the ups and downs of a sports broadcast.

Ha!

I will never understand this cities continued love of Manny Legace. The guy was never as good as some wanted him to be at his best and he utterly fell apart both opportunities he had to make something happen in the playoffs. He had a good thing going as a backup, but like many guys, he wanted more, couldn't live with a backup role, and he learned the hard way that it takes a lot more than he ever had to be a playoff goalie. All I can do is role my eyes at the whole ridiculous situation.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#55 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Legace is loved? Detroit is usually really hard on goalies. Ozzie and Hasek are the only modern ones Detroit appreciates. And even they were treated like garbage at times.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#56 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Announcer Hasek FTW.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#57 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

I think they need to stick him between the benches, shoot a couple of pucks at him and I'd think he wouldn't be so monotone, really!  He'd be great in there.  He wouldn't have to feel he always had to talk like he does when he goes to away games.