• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

#421 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:15 AM

I think it is highly optimistic to think that Cleary will automatically put in the same numbers in the playoffs this year that he did last year.

Ja well I really think, worrying about the playoffs should start if the DetroitRedWings are mathematically in it as of right now they are *very* streaky, so could be a dogfight like last season. Luckily, there are some really bad teams in the east.

Edited by frankgrimes, 06 November 2013 - 06:15 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#422 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

True but we are Detroit and I refuse to even entertain the thought of us missing the playoffs...

#423 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

This team isn't bad enough to miss the playoffs. They're a better team in a weaker conference. Whether they win anything once there...
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#424 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

It's pretty crazy how tough the Western Conference is. I mean, it's always been the better conference, but...man...we got out just in time. Sucks to be the Oilers. (And Jets.)

If things keep going at the pace they're going in the East, we should fit comfortably into the playoff race. But, once there, I'm not sure I like our chances against a highly motivated Penguins team, a highly motivated Bruins team, a highly motivated Leafs team, a highly motivated Senators team, a highly motivated Canadiens team, a highly motivated Lightning team, a highly motivated Islanders team....There's a whole lot of motivation in the East to make up for recent failures, disappointments, embarrassments, and all-around suckage, etc. And what better team to make a statment against than the Red Wings? blahhhhh

We need an elite defenseman. We need one so badly it's not even funny. The thought of Kyle Quincey, Brendan Smith, and Jakub Kindl getting top-four minutes in the playoffs almost makes me want to just stop following this season right here and now so as to avoid the inevitable postseason heartbreak.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#425 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

The only teams that actually worry me in a playoff series is Boston and Pittsburgh. The others I feel we have a better than 50% chance of beating.

Edited by Ekmanc, 06 November 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#426 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

The only teams that actually worry me in a playoff series is Boston and Pittsburg. The others I feel we have a better than 50% chance of beating.

That is exactly what scares me about them.

We're generally great against the best teams, the teams we know will spank us if we don't come to play. But anything less than the best and it's almost a crapshoot, a coin flip which Wings team will show up.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#427 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

It's pretty crazy how tough the Western Conference is. I mean, it's always been the better conference, but...man...we got out just in time. Sucks to be the Oilers. (And Jets.)

If things keep going at the pace they're going in the East, we should fit comfortably into the playoff race. But, once there, I'm not sure I like our chances against a highly motivated Penguins team, a highly motivated Bruins team, a highly motivated Leafs team, a highly motivated Senators team, a highly motivated Canadiens team, a highly motivated Lightning team, a highly motivated Islanders team....There's a whole lot of motivation in the East to make up for recent failures, disappointments, embarrassments, and all-around suckage, etc. And what better team to make a statment against than the Red Wings? blahhhhh

We need an elite defenseman. We need one so badly it's not even funny. The thought of Kyle Quincey, Brendan Smith, and Jakub Kindl getting top-four minutes in the playoffs almost makes me want to just stop following this season right here and now so as to avoid the inevitable postseason heartbreak.

it doesn't matter how many times you use the term 'highly motivated' as all teams are come playoff time. fact is, the wings still have a better team than most you mention there.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#428 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

We will never win a cup with Smith, Quincey getting top minutes. (See smith vs blackhawks last postseason). A trade must be made. The question is will kenny do it?

#429 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

We will never win a cup with Smith, Quincey getting top minutes. (See smith vs blackhawks last postseason). A trade must be made. The question is will kenny do it?

Good point, probably true.  And no Kenny will not do it.

#430 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

We have so many useless forwards or not used at all that I would hope we could use them for trade bait. I don't think guys like Franzen, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary or Eaves really have a place here. I'm shocked they resigned Cleary forcing Nyquist to GR. I'm worried about our defense come playoff time and we haven't made it further than the 2nd round with Jimmy (not saying he sucks or blaming him entirely, but he does worry me a bit).