• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

A story about Chelios

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--beach-bum-s-lucky-break--how-chris-chelios--hall-of-fame-career-almost-never-happened-at-all-223053286.html

This was an excellent read and I had no idea that his path to the NHL was what it was. On a particular note, the article made a point to talk about Cheli's commitment to staying in shape, mentioning how he would sometimes ride his bike to the Joe from his place in Bloomfield Hills, and the stuff about his cardio workouts in a sauna. Everyone makes a big deal about Howe lasting until 52 (which is definitely a huge deal, don't get me wrong), but I wonder whether in today's NHL, whether lasting until 48 is an equally impressive feat. The four year gap is a big one, especially when you're talking about those years around 50. But at the same time, it takes serious commitment to succeed after 40, especially on defense, and we've all heard stories about how Cheli's workout regime would make other, younger NHLers keel over and vomit. Anyway, its a good read.

extra credit: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--chris-chelios-q-a--on-whether-he-could-still-play-at-51--his-post-nhl-life---what-future-holds-233740518.html

Edited by Echolalia

That's a great read! Chelios was my idol growing up. Loved watching him play and it was awesome seeing him prove everyone wrong in his later years. It'd be pretty cool to see him become something of an assistant coach for the Wings soon, although I dont think some of the kids could handle Babcock and Chelios in their ear :lol:

It was interesting to read his view of Smith. There are many hockey players who don't have what it takes to be in a managerial position, but Chelios is one guy that I could see excelling in a coaching role.

Where can I find this? Please and thank you.

Where can I find this? Please and thank you.

It was extra credit pal, no worries.

excerpt (when asked about his qualifications as a potential coach):

What can you add that others can’t?

“[Wings defenseman] Brendan Smith, for example, I know exactly what he’s going through, his struggles. Twenty years ago, Smitty has no problem playing in the league. He’s got all the skill and vision. But now he’s trying to fit into the system. That’s one of the issues that Smitty’s having. People will look and say, ‘What’s he doing?’ I see what he’s thinking.

“Hockey’s way better now. The systems, you don’t see ‘D’ taking it end to end like you used to. It’s just not going to happen. That’s what I think my value is. I can talk to the kids. I still stay within the systems, but I can help with little things until they make it. Once they get their confidence and hopefully the opportunity to be in that role – power play and penalty kill – then they’ll get that leash. You’ve got to get there first.”