• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thegerkin

Marty the Marmot mascot attacked during WHL game

Rate this topic

Marty the Marmot, Canada’s mascot of the year, attacked during WHL game

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/marty-marmot-canada-mascot-attacked-during-165508738.html

That is messed up. It's a hockey game, and a light-heartened intermission game. I don't know if he's drunk, but either way, what a Le' ******.

I hope they press assault charges. I'm surprised he made it out of the arena in one piece (one large piece of s**t).

Bet Marty will think twice before offering a lady a chair again- especially if it was someone else's.

Really, though, I can see the guy getting mad at Marty for essentially fixing the contest, but that was not cool. You don't fight a species that can't fight back.

I think it probably doesn't look that bad because frankly everything looks kind of comical when you're in a mascot suit. But being grabbed and driven to the ground like that hurts when it happens on grass. Then imagine it on ice.

The Kings have a mascot (who I find mostly annoying but am apparently in the minority) who often does the same thing during contests. He'll mess around making it slightly harder for one person or help someone else. But the contest is always for something fairly small. It's not like they're about to win a car.

When you agree to run around on ice and try to sit on an inflatable chair between periods of a hockey game, you really shouldn't expect it to be officiated like an olympic event. Especially when one of the officials is wearing a giant Marmot suit.

Looked to me like the guy in green piledrived (piledrove?) Marty to the ice. Lifted him completely into the air and threw him forcefully onto his back. Uncool. The guy in green should hope his punishment isn't being piledriven in prison.

I'd probably call it a spinebuster myself.

I think Prison would be an overreaction, fine or community service if anything or at absolute worse a suspended 9 month sentence. It is Canada we are talking about where punishments are generally not over reactions.

I think it probably doesn't look that bad because frankly everything looks kind of comical when you're in a mascot suit. But being grabbed and driven to the ground like that hurts when it happens on grass. Then imagine it on ice.

The Kings have a mascot (who I find mostly annoying but am apparently in the minority) who often does the same thing during contests. He'll mess around making it slightly harder for one person or help someone else. But the contest is always for something fairly small. It's not like they're about to win a car.

When you agree to run around on ice and try to sit on an inflatable chair between periods of a hockey game, you really shouldn't expect it to be officiated like an olympic event. Especially when one of the officials is wearing a giant Marmot suit.

But also on the other side of that, you go into those thinking you might win something cool only to have a stupid mascot cheat...I would of been pissed off to. Wouldn't tackled the mascot but would have let him know I was pissed.

I have to ask too...do some of you really think this guy should have his life ruined or go to jail for something like this?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

But also on the other side of that, you go into those thinking you might win something cool only to have a stupid mascot cheat...I would of been pissed off to. Wouldn't tackled the mascot but would have let him know I was pissed.

I have to ask too...do some of you really think this guy should have his life ruined or go to jail for something like this?

No. I wouldn't advocate anything stronger than being banned from the arena.

As for being pissed about it, I think that's missing the point. These events are entertainment between periods, getting people shuffling around on the ice to sit on inflatable chairs. The point is for it to be silly and entertaining to the people watching, not to stage a fierce competition. That's what the actual hockey game is for.

So it's hard for me to call it cheating when the whole thing is so half-assed and random anyway, and it's supposed to be. Like I said, they're not giving away cars. A lot of the time everyone ends up getting something for their trouble anyway.

HAHAHA....

Okay, I feel bad for the guy (or girl, this is way more common than we realize) in the Marmot suit. But, it was pretty comical looking, with the marmot waving his hands around like that.

Also, why am I surprised anytime Canada has such huge d-bags?

Marty should find out where the jackass works and go tackle him at his job. Where the hell is PETA when you need them.

PETA is too busy burning down my ex-girlfriends lab where she is testing to see which is healthier for a horses pulmonary system: straw bedding or hay bedding. PETA sucks.

looks to me like the guy was trying too hard to join in the fun and didn't think through the consequences of landing the Marmot on his back on the ice.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions that weren't thought thru.

You know for me, even given the press, it still looks staged. Maybe the person inside Marty is a real pro, but after being driven to the ice and pulled. He's waiving his arms around like a wrestler. It looked like he was playing the exaggerated way that mascots are supposed to. Now I'd like to know if the mascot was playing it off for any kids who might be worried or if it was staged.

If the mascot person was hurt and legitimately played along for the fans... good on him. If it was staged, it's now gone too far.

If this is all legit, then yeah.. what a sad existence this guy lives. To get upset to the point of violence for what has already been said is probably a minor prize. A foot long sub or t-shirt.