Photo
- - - - -

Who is the Most Underappreciated Red Wing?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the Most Underappreciated Red Wing?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Who is the Most Underappreciated Red Wing?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Well who do you think is the most underappreciated Red Wing by the general public/fans?

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#2 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

Definitely not Quincey. The other two are respectable choices. My vote is for Ericsson, even though the consensus on him has finally become more favorable here.

#3 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

Definitely not Quincey. The other two are respectable choices. My vote is for Ericsson, even though the consensus on him has finally become more favorable here.

I don't think Ericsson is underappreciated at all.  In the past sure but not anymore.  I've never even seen an argument that Ericsson shouldn't be in the top 2 on this team with our current guys.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#4 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

Definitely not Quincey. Time on ice is the problem, and he leads the team for goals against when on the ice (of course Smith has a higher GA/game). Abdelkader gets a lot of flack but that has more to do with Babcock insisting on playing him in the Top-6 despite being a great and effective 3rd liner.

#5 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Most underappreciated: Dan Cleary, for leaving Stephen Weiss-type money on the table to come back. The former gets bagged at 3pts, +2 for $1.75M when the latter is at 2pts, -3 for $5M.... god they are awful...

#6 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

I haven't been able to be on LGW as much as I used to because of my stupid grown up lifestyle so my gauge on this sort of thing isn't nearly as decent as it used to be. 

But in terms of who doesn't get the highest degree of appreciation as they should?  I kind of feel like Kronwall has to be up there. 

Drew Miller has to be up there as well.  If he provided what he already does, had 15-20 lbs more muscle, averaged 10-12 fights a year with a 60+ win percentage and didn't have the hair of a 65 year old (assuming a 65 year old has hair) then he'd probably be overrated by LGW. 

#7 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Definitely not Quincey. Time on ice is the problem, and he leads the team for goals against when on the ice (of course Smith has a higher GA/game). Abdelkader gets a lot of flack but that has more to do with Babcock insisting on playing him in the Top-6 despite being a great and effective 3rd liner.

In regards to Quincey (I've never been a fan), he does play pretty tough minutes. Lots of PK with very little PP.  Compared to new fan favorite in Kindl, who plays literally no PK time (ok 6sec avg/game) and a ton of PP time.  Even Smith averages over a minute of PK per game.  It's no wonder Kindl is exposed a lot less often.

Vince Lombardi

#8 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,700 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Going with Miller.  At most, people outside our little circle know him only as Ryan's brother, if they even know Ryan has a brother.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#9 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,828 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

I voted for Abby, he's a versatile guy, can play any position. When Bert goes after this year I'd imagine the spot next to Z and D would be his. As far as Quincey, I was a huge fan of the guy when he left the Wings and during his time in LA/COL, but since he's come back he isn't the same guy. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a slapshot, provides literally nothing offensively (8 points in 70 games) and struggles with turnovers at times. Yes, he plays tough minutes and isn't a half bad PKer, but I don't think he's under appreciated.

#NOMOREKINDL

#10 themcityblues

themcityblues

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

Dan Cleary.  Let me know when the public stoning will happen.  :(  I really do think he is great at bringing the puck in the zone, is hard on the puck and in the boards, and when he works hard he tends to make plays.

Edited by themcityblues, 04 November 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Kindl maybe?

Is the thread about which whipping boy is actually not bad?  I think those guys are all expendable (guys like Cleary, Sammy, Smith, etc).  Or are we talking about solid players who are often forgotten?  In that case, I'd pick Kindl.   

And Drew Miller may lead the team in shorthanded minutes every year, but our PK isn't that good the last few years.  Not like the guy is the second coming of Mike Keane or Guy Carbonneau.  We could replace him with any 4th liner who kills penalties.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 04 November 2013 - 10:32 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#12 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Kindl maybe?

Is the thread about which whipping boy is actually not bad?  I think those guys are all expendable (guys like Cleary, Sammy, Smith, etc).  Or are we talking about solid players who are often forgotten?  In that case, I'd pick Kindl.   

And Drew Miller may lead the team in shorthanded minutes every year, but our PK isn't that good the last few years.  Not like the guy is the second coming of Mike Keane or Guy Carbonneau.  We could replace him with any 4th liner who kills penalties.  

How dare you say Kindl after tonight's game lol If anything I feel Kindl gets too much credit.  He plays very protected minutes with Dekeyser and absolutely no PK.  Babcock plays Smith on the PK before Kindl.

I definitely disagree Miller is that expendable. Especially on his salary in a cap world.

It's not necessarily a whipping boy.  Just who doesn't get enough credit for what they provide.

Vince Lombardi

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

How dare you say Kindl after tonight's game lol If anything I feel Kindl gets too much credit.  He plays very protected minutes with Dekeyser and absolutely no PK.  Babcock plays Smith on the PK before Kindl.

I definitely disagree Miller is that expendable. Especially on his salary in a cap world.

It's not necessarily a whipping boy.  Just who doesn't get enough credit for what they provide.

I didn't watch tonight's game, but Kindl played well last season, unlike the year before.  

Miller is expendable.  Every 4th liner is expendable, unless he's a Kris Draper.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

I didn't watch tonight's game, but Kindl played well last season, unlike the year before.  

Miller is expendable.  Every 4th liner is expendable, unless he's a Kris Draper.  

Tell that to Edmonton because they sure can't seem to find guys for those roles.  (Yes they have many issues other than that)

Vince Lombardi

#15 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

I gotta say Howard the guy doesn't get enough press and if it wasn't for him we would lose half our games.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#16 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Quincey is a complete joke.  He get's more ice time the worse he plays.  It's af****** anomaly!

Miller is meh.  He's completely replaceable and he's getting slower.  His offensive creativity lasted about 15 games 2 years ago.  I'm pretty much done with him.

Abdelkader has the right amount of appreciation.  He's given a role, he does his job and we appreciate him for it.  

I'd say Jimmy and Tootoo.  Jimmy keeps the Wings in games that they don't show up for (like tonight against the Jets) and Tootoo is a leave it all on the ice type and we need more of him and less of Cleary and Miller.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#17 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,554 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

So far this season? I'm going to go with a healthy Bert. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#18 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

Of those 3?  Abdelkader.

Overall, and around the league?  Howard without a doubt.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#19 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:10 AM

Hopefully tootoo stays I can do without eaves miller samuelsson clearly Anderson, all useless
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#20 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Of the 3 players listed - I gotta go with Quincey...

Dmen have it tougher than forwards; defense takes a bit more time to adjust to the NHL game...

That said - Quincey has his fair share of gaffes, but he also goes unnoticed when he has a good game.

'Evolution' created by Offsides