• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FifeHockeyNut

Tootoo Waived

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

All along, I kind of had hope that perhaps Holland had some kind of plan all along. But it's becoming clear he really didn't. He kept signing players and signing players and hoping that it would some how magically work out. Not generally a Holland basher, but I can't see this player surplus, not to mention that most of these players are dead weight, as a good thing going forward.

Sad it happened to him, just glad something is getting done before we go later into the season. Players can start worrying about the playoffs and there effort levels rather than where there going to be tomorrow. Thanks for you time here JT.

Wow just clued in your profile picture is of Matt Foley. Nice work. lol

Guest Crymson

All along, I kind of had hope that perhaps Holland had some kind of plan all along. But it's becoming clear he really didn't. He kept signing players and signing players and hoping that it would some how magically work out. Not generally a Holland basher, but I can't see this player surplus, not to mention that most of these players are dead weight, as a good thing going forward.

All GMs make mistakes. Fortunately, all of the questionable 2012 contracts (sans that of Tootoo, who could be bought out if necessary) will expire this summer, as will that of Cleary.

Oh boy,this means the resurection of the "we need to get tougher" threads :lol:

I like #22,but that was somehow inevitable due to the roster situation.I think he won't be claim,cause there are not many teams who can afford to pay $1.9M for a 4th liner,but we'll see.

Guest Crymson

Tootoo being waived whilst Samuelsson and Cleary remain on this team is a travesty.

A travesty made in the office of one Ken Holland.

As noted, waiving Samuelsson would accomplish nothing of note, as the team would still be short on cap space. I agree that Tootoo brings vastly more to this team than Dan Cleary does.

That said, if you're waiting for a perfect GM, then you'll still be doing so when the sun explodes. No such person exists.

People are talking about preferences, not what can actually happen. If they had to pick one person to go, Sammy would be first. Now relax

People talk like they are experts, then I expect they act like experts. i.e. know the waiver rules.

Guest Playmaker

All GMs make mistakes. Fortunately, all of the questionable 2012 contracts (sans that of Tootoo, who could be bought out if necessary) will expire this summer, as will that of Cleary.

2012 were somewhat honest mistakes if you can call them that. The Wings had cap space and open roster spots, they lost their top 2 defensemen and missed out on the two big fish in the free agent pond and they were left scrambling and coming off a first round playoff loss. While I wasn't in favor of the Samulesson signing at all, I could see where he was coming from, trying to find a point man for the 2nd pp unit, and a "devil he knew". Same with Tootoo. He wasn't what I had in mind, but I could see the thought process behind it.

2013 was a totally different story. He went and signed Drew Miller to a long term deal, despite having his twin Patrick Eaves already under contract for under a million. Then he went on to sign Alfredsson, Weiss and Cleary while knowing there wasn't roster or cap space, and did nothing to address it in the offseason, and still hasn't almost a quarter of the way into the season. He did nothing about the lack of a puck moving defenseman/point man on the PP and the lack of depth. So now are the Wings going to be going through a waiver thing, switching this guy or that guy onto IR, just to make the cap limit? A little competition isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you have so many guys not knowing from day to day what their status is, it seems like its not going to create the best atmosphere. Just because Holland has made many good moves over the years doesn't mean he's above criticism when he doesn't make good moves.

Yes re-entry waivers should be gone. I was referring to if we sent him back down to grr once he came back up to the NHL. If we wanted to send him down once more, that's where I was confused if he would be exempt from passing waivers again and technically on a two way contract from that point on.

This would have nothing to do with a one-way or two-way contract. A two-way (NHL/AHL) contract means a player gets paid one salary in the NHL and another (smaller) in the AHL. Players in the AHL on a one-way NHL contract get paid the same salary they would make in the NHL.

The Wings brass practice their own form of nepotism, always signing their old buddies over much better and/or more qualified players.

It sucks big time, but as we have been shown clear as day over the last few years, that's how it works upstairs with the Wings brass.

It's been like that for 20 years..I think the track record speaks for itself doesnt it? We are a low risk high reward franchise..never have made knee jerk reactions..of course there has been some bad signings but I think the good ones out weigh the bad ones by a huge margin.

You people would honestly rather have Tootoo on this team than Cleary?

Shows that Babcock and management believed Emmerton and Tootoo were the bottom of the totem and I would agree with them.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Bertuzzi-Weisse-Alfie

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

Think the forwards will look like this in a few weeks

Good riddance should have never been a Wing. Tired of hearing about the needed enforcer standing at a stout 5"9" and never cracking the line-up. Holland has been clueless the last few years and has no direction or plan whatsoever.

I'd have more faith in some of the regulars around here building a team for the future than Holland.

but how the f*** do you make a mistake an entire fanbase can see before hand?

Sortof off topic but ive been checking out Tomas Jurco n the kid looks insane. Only 2 pts behind Nyquist on the griffins. Anyone have any idea when he'll crack the lineup? Next season?

Jurco was insane last year in the playoffs too. Dude seriously had the puck following him.

You people would honestly rather have Tootoo on this team than Cleary?

Shows that Babcock and management believed Emmerton and Tootoo were the bottom of the totem and I would agree with them.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Bertuzzi-Weisse-Alfie

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

Think the forwards will look like this in a few weeks

yes. Tootoo is a better hockey player than Cleary in every facet of the game. I am well aware of Cleary playing on the PP/PK but he is still just a blackhole of talent. He makes anyone on his line worse.

From a roster managment point of view, Tootoo is the obvious player to be waived first.

From a who-deserves-to-be-waived-first? point of view, clearly he isn't.

Won't we have to re-assign another player from GR to Toledo now as well? They already sent Frk down to the ECHL cos there was no room for him on the Griffs.

im not surprised at all that tootoo was the odd man out ... im just annoyed that yet again were losing another player and not even getting one draft pick back in return

According to Helene St. James, Kenny's been trying to trade him but no takers, not even for a draft pick. I would think there's very little chance he'll be claimed on waivers either, not at $1.9m a season. The only way he's going to be traded is if Kenny includes a pick and/or prospect and even then, he'll probably have to retain some of Tootoo's salary in the deal too.

http://www.freep.com/article/20131107/SPORTS05/311070060/1053/sports05?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter