• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FifeHockeyNut

Tootoo Waived

Rate this topic

It must be pretty awesome being Bob McKenzie and knowing anything and eveything you report will be taken as fact, truth, official confirmation.

I'm not being snarky at all. I totally mean it. The guy's a media demigod.

Definitely.

As Twitter has gotten more popular plenty of sports journalists have gotten it wrong trying to be the first to get a story out there. McKenzie is one of a handful of people I know will get it right.

This is very interesting... @AnsarKhanMLive: Babcock said if Tootoo clears they'll decide tomorrow what to do. They could keep him on roster or send him down and recall Nyquist.

Please god bring up Gus

I'm a little confused on how the waiving works. If he does clear and they decide to keep him on the roster, wouldn't that mean that waiving him was all for nothing? I've always been under the impression that when you waive someone, you send them down. Can anyone pass along some insight here?

I really hate this move. Pisses me off that Cleary and Sammy get a free pass, while they offer nothing to the team. Toots plays his ass off every second he gets. Cleary is #1 in the league at falling on his ass, and Sammy is just sitting on the bench counting his money. I don't understand this decision at all.

Why don't they just waive tootoo and eaves and bring up nyquist? If they are claimed then great. If not then we still save money on the cap as nyquist cap number is like 950K or so. I don't understand why this hasn't already been done

true but gus only has 2 games left before his no longer waiver free and if someone comes back and we have to send him or tots down bye bye

true but gus only has 2 games left before his no longer waiver free and if someone comes back and we have to send him or tots down bye bye

Why would we have to send him down though?

Forwards:

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Bertuzzi

Franzen

Weiss

Alfredsson

Tatar

Helm

Nyquist

Abdelkader

Anderson

Cleary

Samuelson

Miller

Defense:

Kronwall

Big E

Kindl

Dekeyser

Smith

Quincey

Lashoff

This would make a 23 man roster. My question is would we be over the cap with this roster or no?

I can't see how this is possibly to bring up Nyquist. With two games left before waiver exemption is no longer available, they would be over the cap and lose someone once E is back. This move essentially covers a now healthy, no longer LTIR Helm once everyone else is healthy.

After its all said and done, we'll have traded Tootoo for Helm, and that's hoping someone claims him.

I can't see how this is possibly to bring up Nyquist. With two games left before waiver exemption is no longer available, they would be over the cap and lose someone once E is back. This move essentially covers a now healthy, no longer LTIR Helm once everyone else is healthy.

After its all said and done, we'll have traded Tootoo for Helm, and that's hoping someone claims him.

Yep, I'm pretty sure you're right. My math was wrong, left someone out when I was adding things up.

If hockey were the "business" it was supposed to be, Cleary would have been waived before Tootoo, Sammy would be waived to at least get rid of some of his $3 mil salary and Tootoo would even stay over Miller as he brings more to the table and a much needed element to a team with no real hitters aside from Helm at forward. I'm with Mike J. on this one. While Kenny's waiving guys, he should waive Cleary, Sammy and Quincey to see if anyone wants the garbage that Holland believes should be in our lineup.

Forwards:

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Bertuzzi

Franzen

Weiss

Alfredsson

Tatar

Helm

Nyquist

Abdelkader

Anderson

Cleary

Samuelson

Miller

Defense:

Kronwall

Big E

Kindl

Dekeyser

Smith

Quincey

Lashoff

This would make a 23 man roster. My question is would we be over the cap with this roster or no?

With Ericsson's $3.25M back on the books after LTIR, we'll be about $700K or so over the cap.

Forwards:

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Bertuzzi

Franzen

Weiss

Alfredsson

Tatar

Helm

Nyquist

Abdelkader

Anderson

Cleary

Samuelson

Miller

Defense:

Kronwall

Big E

Kindl

Dekeyser

Smith

Quincey

Lashoff

Because you forgot Eaves?

I'm a little confused on how the waiving works. If he does clear and they decide to keep him on the roster, wouldn't that mean that waiving him was all for nothing? I've always been under the impression that when you waive someone, you send them down. Can anyone pass along some insight here?

I'm almost positive but someone may have to clarify this for me also; it's to my knowledge that the new CBA allows players to get called back up to the NHL without re-entry waivers. This move would give cap relief for the franchise while allowing them to use Tootoo as a 2-way contract(?). If they do want to re-use him now, they don't need to pass him through waivers again. Again, this is what I believe the new CBA allowed, but i'm not a CBA expert by any means. I do think that if he comes back up to the NHL though... he has to re-pass through waivers. THey must likely tried to move him over the past few weeks, got nothing and then decided to let him to go waivers in order to relieve cap space.

If hockey were the "business" it was supposed to be, Cleary would have been waived before Tootoo, Sammy would be waived to at least get rid of some of his $3 mil salary and Tootoo would even stay over Miller as he brings more to the table and a much needed element to a team with no real hitters aside from Helm at forward. I'm with Mike J. on this one. While Kenny's waiving guys, he should waive Cleary, Sammy and Quincey to see if anyone wants the garbage that Holland believes should be in our lineup.

Cleary might get claimed for the price tag (good riddance) and maybe a team is desperate/stupid enough to take Quincey on the back end for his $3.7M, but I can't see any way Sammy gets claimed. Miller is one of our better penalty killers and thus more valuable than Tootoo.

No, that is before waiving Tootoo, thus the reason why the move was made.

Okay. But if tootoo and eaves are waived and unclaimed and nyquist is brought up. With smith and big E becoming healthy and almqvist being sent back down would we be cap compliant while still having nyquist up?

I really hate this move. Pisses me off that Cleary and Sammy get a free pass, while they offer nothing to the team. Toots plays his ass off every second he gets. Cleary is #1 in the league at falling on his ass, and Sammy is just sitting on the bench counting his money. I don't understand this decision at all.

I know Cleary is widely hated here, but whether people agree with it or not, this move shouldn't be a surprise.

First of all, it was never really about Tootoo versus Cleary from the team perspective. They don't play the same roles. The only reason they're being compared is people here don't like Cleary. But he's still a player and an asset the team thinks has value.

But comparing the two anyway:

Cleary plays almost 15 minutes a night, plays on the PP, the PK, and can be trusted at the ends of games.

Tootoo is a 4th liner who has been a healthy scratch. He provides good energy and hitting and some staged fights for about 8 minutes a night. He's not great defensively and can't be used in any special teams situation.

They have roughly the same cap hit. So from a GM's perspective keeping Cleary makes a lot more sense.

I would love it had they waived Sammy. $3 million cap hit who can't stay in the lineup and is unremarkable when he does.

How bad was the 2012 summer for Holland? Samuelsson is a three million dollar healthy scratch, Tootoo gets waived, Colaiacovo already bought out and Brunner is with another team. That's brutal and unfortunately still costing the Red Wings now in roster and cap space. Bringing Cleary back only furthered the issue.

I hope Eaves sticks around over Samuelsson. Eaves is a good 4th liner and penalty killer. Another body has to go for Nyquist to come up, which I assume is the ultimate goal here soon.

Edited by GoWings1905