• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#41 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm a little confused on how the waiving works. If he does clear and they decide to keep him on the roster, wouldn't that mean that waiving him was all for nothing? I've always been under the impression that when you waive someone, you send them down. Can anyone pass along some insight here?

I'm almost positive but someone may have to clarify this for me also; it's to my knowledge that the new CBA allows players to get called back up to the NHL without re-entry waivers. This move would give cap relief for the franchise while allowing them to use Tootoo as a 2-way contract(?). If they do want to re-use him now, they don't need to pass him through waivers again. Again, this is what I believe the new CBA allowed, but i'm not a CBA expert by any means. I do think that if he comes back up to the NHL though... he has to re-pass through waivers. THey must likely tried to move him over the past few weeks, got nothing and then decided to let him to go waivers in order to relieve cap space.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#42 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

With Ericsson's $3.25M back on the books after LTIR, we'll be about $700K or so over the cap.

Is that with tootoo and eaves clearing or getting claimed? Just to clarify

#43 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

If hockey were the "business" it was supposed to be, Cleary would have been waived before Tootoo, Sammy would be waived to at least get rid of some of his $3 mil salary and Tootoo would even stay over Miller as he brings more to the table and a much needed element to a team with no real hitters aside from Helm at forward.  I'm with Mike J. on this one.  While Kenny's waiving guys, he should waive Cleary, Sammy and Quincey to see if anyone wants the garbage that Holland believes should be in our lineup.

Cleary might get claimed for the price tag (good riddance) and maybe a team is desperate/stupid enough to take Quincey on the back end for his $3.7M, but I can't see any way Sammy gets claimed. Miller is one of our better penalty killers and thus more valuable than Tootoo.

#44 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Because you forgot Eaves?

Sorry I meant to say that we would be waiving eaves as well

#45 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Is that with tootoo and eaves clearing or getting claimed? Just to clarify

No, that is before waiving Tootoo, thus the reason why the move was made.

#46 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

If Tootoo is sent down and unclaimed, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE TRADE EITHER CLEARY OR SAMMY!!! PLEASE KENNY!!! SEND THEM TO PHILADELPHIA!!!

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Shoot-outs & Franzen

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#47 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

No, that is before waiving Tootoo, thus the reason why the move was made.

Okay. But if tootoo and eaves are waived and unclaimed and nyquist is brought up. With smith and big E becoming healthy and almqvist being sent back down would we be cap compliant while still having nyquist up?

#48 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Bummed :(

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#49 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

I really hate this move. Pisses me off that Cleary and Sammy get a free pass, while they offer nothing to the team. Toots plays his ass off every second he gets. Cleary is #1 in the league at falling on his ass, and Sammy is just sitting on the bench counting his money. I don't understand this decision at all.

I know Cleary is widely hated here, but whether people agree with it or not, this move shouldn't be a surprise.  

First of all, it was never really about Tootoo versus Cleary from the team perspective.  They don't play the same roles.  The only reason they're being compared is people here don't like Cleary.  But he's still a player and an asset the team thinks has value.

But comparing the two anyway:

Cleary plays almost 15 minutes a night, plays on the PP, the PK, and can be trusted at the ends of games.

Tootoo is a 4th liner who has been a healthy scratch.  He provides good energy and hitting and some staged fights for about 8 minutes a night.  He's not great defensively and can't be used in any special teams situation.

They have roughly the same cap hit.  So from a GM's perspective keeping Cleary makes a lot more sense.

I would love it had they waived Sammy.  $3 million cap hit who can't stay in the lineup and is unremarkable when he does.

#50 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

How bad was the 2012 summer for Holland? Samuelsson is a three million dollar healthy scratch, Tootoo gets waived, Colaiacovo already bought out and Brunner is with another team. That's brutal and unfortunately still costing the Red Wings now in roster and cap space. Bringing Cleary back only furthered the issue. 

I hope Eaves sticks around over Samuelsson. Eaves is a good 4th liner and penalty killer. Another body has to go for Nyquist to come up, which I assume is the ultimate goal here soon.

Edited by GoWings1905, 06 November 2013 - 01:47 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#51 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

If Tootoo is sent down and unclaimed, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE TRADE EITHER CLEARY OR SAMMY!!! PLEASE KENNY!!! SEND THEM TO PHILADELPHIA!!!

No one is that stupid... and Sammy has a NTC you'd have to negotiate, though its not like he is seeing any ice-time here.

#52 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Customer is always right? Right? Well, the paying customers want Sammy, Cleary and Eaves off the menu. Customer is always right? Right?

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Sammy's got the NTC, so they'd have to convince him to go to another team.

I'm not sure why he would since the money would be the same.  Maybe if they keep making him a healthy scratch he'd be willing to get traded so he could be in the lineup every night.

How bad was the 2012 summer for Holland? Samuelsson is a three million dollar healthy scratch, Tootoo gets waived, Colaiacovo already bought out and Brunner is with another team. That's brutal and unfortunately still costing the Red Wings now in roster and cap space. Bringing Cleary back only furthered the issue. 

I hope Eaves sticks around over Samuelsson. Eaves is a good 4th liner and penalty killer. Another body has to go for Nyquist to come up, which I assume is the ultimate goal here soon.

Agreed.  Holland did well this offseason, but the team is still paying for his awful 2012.  Sammy would've been twice as brutal were he not on LTIR last season.

#54 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

I know Cleary is widely hated here, but whether people agree with it or not, this move shouldn't be a surprise.  

First of all, it was never really about Tootoo versus Cleary from the team perspective.  They don't play the same roles.  The only reason they're being compared is people here don't like Cleary.  But he's still a player and an asset the team thinks has value.

But comparing the two anyway:

Cleary plays almost 15 minutes a night, plays on the PP, the PK, and can be trusted at the ends of games.

Tootoo is a 4th liner who has been a healthy scratch.  He provides good energy and hitting and some staged fights for about 8 minutes a night.  He's not great defensively and can't be used in any special teams situation.

They have roughly the same cap hit.  So from a GM's perspective keeping Cleary makes a lot more sense.

I would love it had they waived Sammy.  $3 million cap hit who can't stay in the lineup and is unremarkable when he does.

I was just about to make some of these points.

Mainly: Cleary and Samuelsson are, in fact, more valuable than Tootoo. (At least, in the way Babs utilizes them.) Tootoo gets about five minutes, and that's when he's not a healthy scratch. And none of those minutes are ever especially important, e.g. special teams.

Tootoo could be a regular on other teams. The hope is that he gets picked up by one of those teams.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#55 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Saw this on hfboards, lol:

1426395_10200964923982427_886528177_n.jp

Gutted to see Toots waived, I like him a lot.

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#56 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Okay. But if tootoo and eaves are waived and unclaimed and nyquist is brought up. With smith and big E becoming healthy and almqvist being sent back down would we be cap compliant while still having nyquist up?

I haven't heard anything about Eaves getting waived. If Tootoo is unclaimed and assigned to GR, we will just barely get under the cap when Ericsson returns (to the tune of like $200K). If Tootoo is claimed, there would then be enough cap room to bring up Nyquist, but they would need to free up one more roster spot, necessitating a move like waiving Eaves or Cleary.

#57 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

I'm almost positive but someone may have to clarify this for me also; it's to my knowledge that the new CBA allows players to get called back up to the NHL without re-entry waivers. This move would give cap relief for the franchise while allowing them to use Tootoo as a 2-way contract(?). If they do want to re-use him now, they don't need to pass him through waivers again. Again, this is what I believe the new CBA allowed, but i'm not a CBA expert by any means. I do think that if he comes back up to the NHL though... he has to re-pass through waivers. THey must likely tried to move him over the past few weeks, got nothing and then decided to let him to go waivers in order to relieve cap space.

I'm pretty certain that re-entry waivers were done away with in the new CBA.

#58 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

Customer is always right? Right? Well, the paying customers want Sammy, Cleary and Eaves off the menu. Customer is always right? Right?

I'd rather see Quincey go before Eaves, but that's just  me.

#59 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

I agree that Sammy should have been the first one on the chopping block, but I'm nowhere near heartbroken over waiving 22.  I never understood the signing to begin with, and he never filled the role that most here hoped he would.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#60 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

I haven't heard anything about Eaves getting waived. If Tootoo is unclaimed and assigned to GR, we will just barely get under the cap when Ericsson returns (to the tune of like $200K). If Tootoo is claimed, there would then be enough cap room to bring up Nyquist, but they would need to free up one more roster spot, necessitating a move like waiving Eaves or Cleary.

Okay thanks for the clarification. I was more saying hypothetically if eaves is waived, not saying that it's gonna happen.