• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Spongewingredpants

Mrazek back to Griffins

Rate this topic

If Jimmy and/or JGus are able to start, there's no sense having Mrazak sitting on the bench getting rusty. It's good that he is getting some playing time now. He'll surely be up full time when JGus moves on at the end of this year.

Coreau seems to be another "real deal". Assuming Howard stays healthy, we'll have three good goalies if both Mrazek and Coreau pan out. Unfortunately, once both are out of waiver options, one will have to go. Bring Coreau up allows the Wings to get a good look at both of them now and allows them to compete with each other for the spot.

Since one will eventually have to be traded, we might as well showcase both so that when the time comes to trade one or the other, we'll know which we want to keep and will get the best return on the other. Ideally, both will put on such a great show that it will be a tough decision and LGW will go ballistic no matter which one we trade away.

My guess is Coraeu is only up to backup Howard and have for practices. If Babcock didn't intend to have Mrazek start the next couple games its better to send him back down and get starting minutes for this weekends Griffins games instead of riding the pine in Detroit.

I'm going to disagree with the post above. I don't see Coreau in any way as a "real deal" as you put it. No way int he same class as Mrazek. Coreau was brought in for nothing but organizational depth. Hes been in only one game for the Griffs and wasnt that strong. Not bad but not strong. McCollum has been the standout in GR the start of this year. Maybe thats who you were thinking of?

Edited by GoalieManPat

My guess is Coraeu is only up to backup Howard and have for practices. If Babcock didn't intend to have Mrazek start the next couple games its better to send him back down and get starting minutes for this weekends Griffins games instead of riding the pine in Detroit.

I'm going to disagree with the post above. I don't see Coreau in any way as a "real deal" as you put it. No way int he same class as Mrazek. Coreau was brought in for nothing but organizational depth. Hes been in only one game for the Griffs and wasnt that strong. Not bad but not strong. McCollum has been the standout in GR the start of this year. Maybe thats who you were thinking of?

I don't put Coreau in the same class as Mrazek. Not yet, anyway. Of course, potential can only be seen if he is up and practicing with the guys. I agree that he is not actually intended to be a starter, but some time in the locker room, in practice, and possibly on the bench is good experience and exposure for the guy.

Amato (above) has a good point about keeping Mrazek waiver-exempt for as long as possible. I think goalies still get longer than skaters, but I could be wrong on that.

Either way, I've heard that McCollum hasn't quite got what it takes- not enough to give up on him, just not enough to really look to him as The Man of the Future like we have begun to do with Mrazek (although that may be a bit pre-mature).

Coreau (again just from what I've heard) has potential. I didn't mean to make it sound like he was going to bust down the door and take Mrazek's spot, just that he was someone that would be good for us to groom for the future just in case something happens that Mrazek doesn't turn out the way we hope. He's still young (a year older than Mrazek, IIRC) so it's good to help his progress any way we can.

I had thought he had more games with GRR. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

Either way, I've heard that McCollum hasn't quite got what it takes- not enough to give up on him, just not enough to really look to him as The Man of the Future like we have begun to do with Mrazek (although that may be a bit pre-mature).

I think McCollums true defining years of whether he can salvage any chance at job in the NHL, even if its just a backup, is this year and next year. Last year probably saved any type of pro career. This year hes off to a 6-0 start and has a GAA at 2.25 and a save % at .922. Both of those numbers are well above Mrazek right now. If he continues putting up numbers like that he can fall into the "late bloomer" category and hopefully the Wings will get some value for using a pick on him in either him making the Wings or progressing enough that he can be traded for assets.

I think McCollums true defining years of whether he can salvage any chance at job in the NHL, even if its just a backup, is this year and next year. Last year probably saved any type of pro career. This year hes off to a 6-0 start and has a GAA at 2.25 and a save % at .922. Both of those numbers are well above Mrazek right now. If he continues putting up numbers like that he can fall into the "late bloomer" category and hopefully the Wings will get some value for using a pick on him in either him making the Wings or progressing enough that he can be traded for assets.

Let's hope so! He seems like a nice kid. We can never have too many good goalie prospects.

I didn't know he was improving. Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that. I guess you call yourself "goalieman" for a reason.

I thought we gave up on McCollum? The Wings dony have any connection with him anymore I didn't think. I suppose they could always just sign. new contract if he plays well.

I wouldn't say they've given up on him completely. He's not on the 50 man roster but he was signed to a GR only contract this season so the Wings brass can still keep an eye on his development.