• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

#421 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

With the addition of one year experience, Alfie, Weiss, and playing in the easy East ... we should be better than just 4 pts difference than last year.  

I'm shocked that we're the only team in the top 5-6 ranking conference that has a NEGATIVE goal differential.  And we've been carrying that for a while, to my memory.  

I know, it's only 17 games in but there signs to be concerned about.   

#422 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

refusing to pay money to see a team that puts nyquist in the minors so they can re-sign garbage like dan cleary means you're not a "true wings fan"?

so be it.

I'm a fan of the Detroit Red Wings. Not the Detroit Nyquists. 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#423 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

With the addition of one year experience, Alfie, Weiss, and playing in the easy East ... we should be better than just 4 pts difference than last year.  

I'm shocked that we're the only team in the top 5-6 ranking conference that has a NEGATIVE goal differential.  And we've been carrying that for a while, to my memory.  

couldn't agree more there is something to be concerned about, but we have the pieces. The positive is that when we play on our game we look like we can take it all. when we play bad we look "lazy" We just have to get consistent play night in and night out. That's on Babcock and company. At least we are not a mid level team that has no chance in the playoffs. The issue with this team is depth scoring and defense. Our depth scoring should be good when mule returns, Weiss comes to forum and the possible addition of Nyquist . Our D we are stuck with as it does not make sense to make a trade. We are overloaded with D prospects.

Posted Image

#424 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

If the DetroitRedWings are losing the next game too, I guess the identity so far could be summarized as streaky, win some lose some repeat.

I called them the Detroit BiPolars last season, I see no reason to change that this season.

The team that completely soiled the bedding against Ottawa and Winnipeg, is exactly the same team that won in Boston, shut-out the Sharks and gave Colorado their first defeat.

We have enough high end talent to win games, but not enough mid-level talent to carry us through on the nights when the big guns can't.

That's the problem, Z and Pasha have go carry the load offensively night in night out the support cast is over the hill, lazy or just not good enough. That's where free agency is coming in handy, Kenny used to do wonders on UFA days but it feels like decades ago, back then the DetroitRedWings wanted a player and they got him!

I predicted a finish similar to last year and I stick with it. Biggest surprise so far the superb play of DeKeyser and Monster.

Losing against a bottom dweller team is unacceptable DetroitRedWings used to stomp them without giving their best effort!!!

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#425 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

That's the problem, Z and Pasha have go carry the load offensively night in night out the support cast is over the hill, lazy or just not good enough. That's where free agency is coming in handy, Kenny used to do wonders on UFA days but it feels like decades ago, back then the DetroitRedWings wanted a player and they got him! I predicted a finish similar to last year and I stick with it. Biggest surprise so far the superb play of DeKeyser and Monster. Losing against a bottom dweller team is unacceptable DetroitRedWings used to stomp them without giving their best effort!!

We also used to have Lidstrom and a lot more talent. It's a new team. It's also a new league where great UFAs are few and far between. With that said, the Alfie and DeKeyser pick ups were 2 recent wonders. People will respond, saying that those pick ups had nothing to do with Kenny, but I feel they happened because the perception of the way the wings do and have done business. It's the loyalty of Kenny - which everyone seems to condemn recently - and the family environment within the Wings organization that made those things happen.

P.S. what's up with the DetroitRedWings thing? Is it twitter shortform or something? Justaskingsincei'mcurious

#426 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm a fan of the Detroit Red Wings. Not the Detroit Nyquists. 

i won't pay to see a team that chooses to not put their best players on the ice because they are overly-loyal to some washed up garbage.

i guess we disagree.

#427 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

rhdLG33.gif

What's incredible about this play is it happened at full speed, and he doesn't even move his head yet puts the pass directly on the tape of Quincey's stick.

02_notcomplicated_Kronwalled55_zpsc7d665

#428 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

Every other team in the NHL is either using their prospects or trading them to get better, but our guys are "over ripping" as in spoiling on the bench or in the AHL.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#429 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

refusing to pay money to see a team that puts nyquist in the minors so they can re-sign garbage like dan cleary means you're not a "true wings fan"?

so be it.

No.  I hate Cleary and Quincey a lot.  But I also talk about the good moves that I think Kenny makes.  You seem to be a chronic sky is falling fan.  I'm pissed that Nyquist is in GR and Cleary is dragging down our top 6, but you should maybe talk about the guys you'd like to see in the top 6.  Join the conversations in a positive light.  Use constructive criticism, not just pure criticism.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#430 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

Is it possible that ten of the first seventeen games being against Western rather than Eastern opponents has anything to do with it? A lot of sources say the East is easier, so being near the top while playing tougher foes should be a good sign. Hiw many of the Eastern teams have as many of thie interconference games out of the way?

Another positive is that travel is going to be much easier for the Wings as the season progresses. The Western Canada swing is already done. I think that actually bodes well for the team.

I'm down on Quincey, Sammy, and Cleary as much as the next fan, but they aren't the only reasons for not having a 17-0-0 record at the moment.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.