• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewdanna

Are we faking injuries/illnesses to deal with the roster crunch?

Rate this topic

Asked if he’s feeling better, Franzen said, “No. Not yet.’’

Asked if he’s sick or injured (club is calling it an upper-body injury), Franzen said, “I don’t know.’’

He doesn't know if he's sick or injured... really?

Guest Crymson

I doubt it. Doing so would be a severe breach of league policy. And if management were actually doing it, then it would be Samuelsson rather than Franzen.

I think its all bulls***. If its a real injury theyd just say so. My moneys on babs sitting him for either thinking hes the s*** when he sucks (believes hes playing well) or to see how the team does without him, in the event of making sure a trade for a dman wont hurt us offensively. Just my theory.

I think its all bulls***. If its a real injury theyd just say so. My moneys on babs sitting him for either thinking hes the s*** when he sucks (believes hes playing well) or to see how the team does without him, in the event of making sure a trade for a dman wont hurt us offensively. Just my theory.

I'm onboard with this. Maybe consipracy theory like, but consipracy's keep things interesting. I think Franzen's pride is the only thing that is hurt, though he doesn't "have fun" in the regular season anyways, so he likely wouldn't give a rats ass if he got benched anyways.

If he was benched Babcock would have said so. Sending a message. Either something is seriously wrong or Babcock and Holland are seriously considering getting rid of him. Who needs "practice time" after not being sure if you were injured or sick?

Nope. All injuries/illnesses are proven and documented. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment to remove Bertuzzi's spleen for exactly 10 games or 21 days, whichever comes first.

I don't think we'd be messing around with waiving Tootoo if we were planning on scheduling injuries/illnesses unless we're hoping that the league will think that we have plans for when everyone comes back.

It could get interesting if our players continue to fall one by one during the season, especially if some are not well-documented. The league won't question broken bones or the like, but flu-like symptoms could get dicey.

We also need to make sure that the "sick" ones are on board with the Plot and don't let on to the media. <glares at Franzen whilst fondling a scalpel>

Nope. All injuries/illnesses are proven and documented. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment to remove Bertuzzi's spleen for exactly 10 games or 21 days, whichever comes first.

OK, you;'ve got me proper LOLing with that one :lol:

Maybe he's claiming to be injured for immunity, as in, like, protection against being bought out. Players can be bought out during the season, right?

If I understand correctly, they can be bought out at any time, but there was some sort of a special buy-out of which each team gets two in either of the two years following the lockout.

I'm not sure of the dates, but I was under the impression that the special buyouts were for during the off-season. Hopefully one of our resident capologists will set us straight.

In any case, I think that if they were going to buy out Franzen, they'd have done it last summer. There was the option of using both buyouts in the same year.

If I understand correctly, they can be bought out at any time, but there was some sort of a special buy-out of which each team gets two in either of the two years following the lockout.

I'm not sure of the dates, but I was under the impression that the special buyouts were for during the off-season. Hopefully one of our resident capologists will set us straight.

In any case, I think that if they were going to buy out Franzen, they'd have done it last summer. There was the option of using both buyouts in the same year.

Yup you're referring to the compliance buyouts. Deadline of July 1st of 2013 and 2014.

Buyouts can only be done during the ordinary course buyout period which starts on June 15th or 48 hours after the SC Finals end, whichever is later, and last until June 30th. That's includes both regular & compliance buyouts. The only exception to that is for teams that have at least 2 players (I believe it's 2 off the top of my head) go to salary arbitration. There's an extra window that opens up for a couple of days after the team's last arbitration decision is handed down. Buyouts can't be done outside of those periods.

For as much angst that was generated around Kenny not buying out Sammy this past summer, I'm thinking it might end up being a good thing that he didn't waste his second one on him in the long run. Sammy's already gone at the end of this season & if Franzen continues to crap the bed, he very may well find himself the recipient of that second compliance buyout in June. For all of the "look at the production the Wings get for his low cap hit" arguments, if he doesn't kick it into gear those will turn into some very loud "look what production we might be able to get IF we clear his cap hit (& Sammy's & Bert's, etc.) and sign a good free agent" comments soon enough.

Buyouts can only be done during the ordinary course buyout period which starts on June 15th or 48 hours after the SC Finals end, whichever is later, and last until June 30th. That's includes both regular & compliance buyouts. The only exception to that is for teams that have at least 2 players (I believe it's 2 off the top of my head) go to salary arbitration. There's an extra window that opens up for a couple of days after the team's last arbitration decision is handed down. Buyouts can't be done outside of those periods.

For as much angst that was generated around Kenny not buying out Sammy this past summer, I'm thinking it might end up being a good thing that he didn't waste his second one on him in the long run. Sammy's already gone at the end of this season & if Franzen continues to crap the bed, he very may well find himself the recipient of that second compliance buyout in June. For all of the "look at the production the Wings get for his low cap hit" arguments, if he doesn't kick it into gear those will turn into some very loud "look what production we might be able to get IF we clear his cap hit (& Sammy's & Bert's, etc.) and sign a good free agent" comments soon enough.

Thank you. That is exactly what I couldn't remember.

Sammy will come off by himself. I'm not sure I understood buying out Cola last summer. He wasn't all that bad.

I wonder if we're going to go through the Cleary drama again this summer. If we get Cleary back again, Franzen will almost have to go to make room for Nyquist.

Too bad, really. Franzen can be great. He just needs to get back to his roots from before he was a goal scorer and work his butt off. Then he needs to add the goal-scoring to that. Right now he's just scoring the goals. (By right now, I don't mean at this moment. I meant this season.) IOW, he needs to be the Mule again.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/11/aftonbladet_red_wings_forward.html

This is a story about Franzen struggling with anxiety issues. If this is accurate, he hates attention and will avoid the spotlight at all costs. He's improved from his earlier years, but maybe this is the real root of what's going on with him lately? Maybe he's not a lazy bum, maybe his brain doesn't let him be the player he could so easily be.

*That said, teams (in all sports) need to do their homework on their players before locking them up long-term. There are plenty of bad dudes in the NFL and NBA, some in MLB and the NHL as well. If this is what's hindering Franzen, and if it's not something that can be adequately treated, I think the Wings have to buy him out this summer...

Good article, good post.

Well, if Franzen has issues like that keeping him back in the NHL, then in the interest of both sides, he really should take the buyout, go play in the SEL again (I'm sure he will immediately improve in a more comfortable environment) and let the Wings move on.

Otherwise, sort it out already.

Edited by evilmrt

Perhaps Mule is taking a page from the Peter Forsberg book of "Oh, my, I am hurt/ill until the playoffs and then suddenly I am well!!"

Only in Forsbergs case he took more punishment than anyone else and really needed that time off to heal. Franzén has neither given or recieved a hit in the last three seasons or so.

Where was this anxiety during the last 8 years of playing in front of 20,000? When he was scoring huge playoff goals and dominating Colorado all the time?

If true, it does explain some of his comments and why Babcock never calls him out or draws attention to him directly.

Franzen needs better linemates...Considering Cleary will ALWAYS and FOREVER clog up the top six wing spot. Franzen - Helm - Tatar

I disagree. I think Franzen is the anchor to his teammates now. That includes Cleary. Cleary is terrible but at-least hes out there busting his butt every shift.