• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukToZetterberg

An honest question about Nyquist

Rate this topic

I doubt other teams wanted him. That was likely some BS floated by his agent.

He was signed by Philly------------>I remember it like it was just yesterday, receiving that early am b/r update that cleary had been signed by the flyers...I bet their happy

I'd be shocked if he didn't. Remember Ericsson? Babcock said that he was the best player he had sent down. They had to because he could still clear waivers. It took Smith forever to get up here too.

Once the waiver thingie is gone, Nyquist will be up with us. If not then, he most certainly will be for the playoffs. If someone sustains a season-ending injury before that (hopefully not, just throwing out the thought since it is possible), he will be up before that.

<off to do anti-jinx stuff>

Babcock said this about Ville Leino, not Ericsson. http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/10/heres_the_deal_downey_waived_e.html

Babcock said this about Ville Leino, not Ericsson. http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/10/heres_the_deal_downey_waived_e.html

Actually, he said it about Ericsson too.

Doesn't surprise me. He also has said that different players are the best at taping their sticks as well. He meant it to mean that the players pay attention to detail, but I found it funny.

EDIT: I did a search to see if I could find where I had read that. Turns out he has said it about Leino, Ericsson, and Helm. :D

Edited by 55fan

Actually, he said it about Ericsson too.

Doesn't surprise me. He also has said that different players are the best at taping their sticks as well. He meant it to mean that the players pay attention to detail, but I found it funny.

EDIT: I did a search to see if I could find where I had read that. Turns out he has said it about Leino, Ericsson, and Helm. :D

Gus just needs to bide his time, it's frustrating I know but Helm had to go down to GR in 09 after centering the fourth line in a Stanley cup winning team, he came up around the trade deadline and was instrumental in the next cup run. Do I think Gus will have that sort of impact? No, but if he plays hard everyday he'll be back up sooner rather than later and this time will definitely have benefitted him.

I like Gus and Tatar both. When Tatar was sent down last year, I was disappointed. When Gus was assigned to GR to begin this season, I was disappointed.

That being said, they're both undersized guys (as is Almquist, another Wings prospect people salivate over). Pinning long-term hopes on guys like these isn't realistic. They can probably make good contributions, but if anyone is expecting Gus and Tatar to assume the roles of Z and Dats, prepare for more disappointment.

Most of the NHL is getting bigger.

I like Gus and Tatar both. When Tatar was sent down last year, I was disappointed. When Gus was assigned to GR to begin this season, I was disappointed.

That being said, they're both undersized guys (as is Almquist, another Wings prospect people salivate over). Pinning long-term hopes on guys like these isn't realistic. They can probably make good contributions, but if anyone is expecting Gus and Tatar to assume the roles of Z and Dats, prepare for more disappointment.

I expect jurco and mantha to take over pav and hanks roles down the road.

Tats and Gus I see as fil and hudlers.

Just brought up in the wrong order.

And before anyone says it, I know its a bit unrealistic to think they'll end up close to 13, and 40.

But I meant the best in house talent we have 5 years or less to the big club.

That's the problem with drafting high risk / high reward, nobody can for sure say how each of them is going to do in the long run, but given the current support cast for Z and Datsyuk it's obvious that this team needs help. I expect Tatar and to a lesser extent Nyquist to become serviceable players far from being (super)stars but at least regulars.

At the end of the day, the DetroitRedWings need to get bigger, stronger and a lot harder to play against so drafting more guys like McKee (big hardnosed, intimidating) should be on the agenda for the bottom 6. My hopes for Jurco aren't high, awesome hands but undersized and work ethic problems something a guy like Babcok is far from being a fan off, I see him more as a trade chip.

Cleary is a good player. There is a reason he is on the team. There is a reason other teams wanted him.

Is he top 6 material? no Is he paid top 6 $? no Will he be back next year? yes Will everyone ***** and complain? Yes

Danny, shouldn't you be working on your game?

I'm surprised Cleary was brought back, and most of the reasons why he was are for his leadership.

To bring Nyquist up they have to clear cap room. Waiving 2 people doesn't clear enough, nor does trading Eaves and waiving someone. Samuelsson only clears 100k of cap space. I was iffy when he signed and it has blown up in Holland's face bog time.

I did the math last week. If they waive Tootoo and Eaves they will have something like $560 in cap space, can't remember exactly. That's enough to recall Emmerton. Glendening has a cap hit of $575, so he can't be the 23rd player. If they waive Eaves they can trade Tootoo and keep around $450k salary and bring Nyquist up and be right at the cap.

I think it will be before the playoffs.

That may sound like optimism, but it is actually pessimism in disguise - the Wings have been insanely injury prone the past few years, and I while I hope that trend is over, it seems like the injuries are already piling on. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Nyquist get called up eventually when they hit some injuries and run out of waiver exempt guys to call up.

The mythical and theoretical line of Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar just makes too much sense to not try at some point this season - especially when secondary scoring is the biggest problem.

I think it will be before the playoffs.

That may sound like optimism, but it is actually pessimism in disguise - the Wings have been insanely injury prone the past few years, and I while I hope that trend is over, it seems like the injuries are already piling on. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Nyquist get called up eventually when they hit some injuries and run out of waiver exempt guys to call up.

The mythical and theoretical line of Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar just makes too much sense to not try at some point this season - especially when secondary scoring is the biggest problem.

unless its a long term season ending injury then we won't bring him up. once guys get healthy we'd be screwed

All kenny n babs jokes aside, when do we realistically see Nyquist makin his season debut?

Our best hope is probably the playoffs, provided we make it in. I doubt that, even. Too many worthless, overvalued players that are forever penciled into roster spots. Samuelsson and Cleary appear to be valued above Nyquist to this point. We'll see.